RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   Electric Training (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-training-102/)
-   -   Slow stick propeller help (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/electric-training-102/6076449-slow-stick-propeller-help.html)

jeffie8696 07-06-2007 02:06 AM

Slow stick propeller help

Is there another prop I can use than the stock 1060 GWS on my slow stick with the 400 motor? Just looking for options. Thanks

ozrcboy 07-06-2007 05:43 AM

RE: Slow stick propeller help

Different props will change the way she flys - was there something in particular you were trying to achieve?

jeffie8696 07-06-2007 12:15 PM

I was just wondering if there are any other manufacturers that make a "better" prop. If anyone has an opinion on how to improve the flight charicteristics . Jeffp

Time Pilot 07-06-2007 05:54 PM

If you are looking for a 'take it to the next level' kind of flight experience, a prop change isn't usually what will give you that. I've never been one to fiddle with different props, trying to find the perfect one, because when you are dealing with a brushed motor, power is limited and a tweak doesn't do much. I've tried that in the past when someone recommended, "Hey, try the X x Y prop on your plane and see the difference!" Not much, if any difference.

The props that GWS recommends for their motor/gearbox/battery combination are pretty well bang on.

What kind of battery are you using? If you are looking for a change, and you are using a cheap, small battery, a jump to a good quality 9.6V battery should give you a bit more performance. Or, take the plunge and get an inexpensive brushless motor. You'd be amazed at what a cheap $10 brushless motor & a 3S lipo will do to your tame little plane. ;)

jeffie8696 07-07-2007 11:36 PM

I am on a rather strict budget, I am using 9.6V Nicds. I was just hoping for an alternative source for a good prop since my LHS does not stock the 1060 but has something close I have been using. I would feel awkward asking him to stock a product just for me. We shall see. The debate over using the Lipoly cells and a brushless has been ongoing since before I bought this plane. If you figure the cost of a charger, batteries, ESC and motor it really is just completely out of my means. Thanks. Jeffp

Time Pilot 07-08-2007 01:14 AM

ORIGINAL: jeffie8696

I am on a rather strict budget, I am using 9.6V Nicds. I was just hoping for an alternative source for a good prop since my LHS does not stock the 1060 but has something close I have been using. I would feel awkward asking him to stock a product just for me. We shall see. The debate over using the Lipoly cells and a brushless has been ongoing since before I bought this plane. If you figure the cost of a charger, batteries, ESC and motor it really is just completely out of my means. Thanks. Jeffp
No need to go brushless, just a comment, that's all. I still fly my SS with the 300 brushed motor. I like the way it flys. If I want something with more get-up-and-go, I pick a different plane.

Depending on the size of nicads you are using, you might get some added performance by switching to a same capacity, lighter Nimh.

Anyway, check out Tower Hobbies. The props are eligible for reduces shipping:
http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXHHX0&P=ML

jeffie8696 08-06-2007 01:48 PM

I have been experimenting with different size props. My setup is a little heavy since I only have Nicds but I tried an 11x7(actually I need to recheck that it might be bigger) and it seems a bit big, the motor is working pretty hard and getting hot.

soarhead-RCU 08-07-2007 10:35 AM

The GWS website recomends a 10X4.7 or 10X8 for the 400 with the D gears which I beleive is the gear ratio for the SS. Ive never had a 400 SS so just going by what the site says!!!!

Good Luck
Bob

jeffie8696 08-07-2007 08:52 PM

Yea I was just hoping to alter the performance a little with the bigger prop. My plane runs a little heavy and I was hoping to improve the part throttle longevity.

jeffie8696 09-01-2007 08:45 PM

I have some great news. I have been trying out the larger props more extensively and have found the 11X7 to work quite well at less than full throttle. My biggest problem has been fighting wind so I have been more patient and waited until later in the day so I don't need full throttle . Next I am looking into Nimh batteries, I have been using 9.6V AA size Nicds and they seem rather heavy but it is working OK( I considered it a challenge). It has been a lot of fun developing my plane to fly a cheap as humanly possible. :) I plan to go full boogie on the next level plane, a GWS Corsair using the lightest and most powerful components I can afford. I would love to use a 3 bladed prop to make it look scale but that will be up for further discussion when the time comes.