Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Electrics to Glow Conversions
Reload this Page >

F86 EDF to Glow - Help Please

Community
Search
Notices
Electrics to Glow Conversions Are you converting an electric airplane to glow and need help? Have you already converted an airplane and you want to show it off and give some tips? This is your forum. Enjoy.

F86 EDF to Glow - Help Please

Search this Thread

Old 02-29-2012, 06:59 AM
govette

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default F86 EDF to Glow - Help Please

Hi Guys - as stated, I want to convert this 480 WeMoTec powered jet, to glow - I am hoping a 0.15 OS Max will do the job if i build it light - it has a 'glass fuse and sheeted foam wings, no gear as it will be bungee launched. For the .15 engine, what max RTF weight should i shoot for? Thanks in advance for your help.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:16 AM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default RE: F86 EDF to Glow - Help Please

you will mount the engine in the front and run a prop right???
Old 02-29-2012, 02:10 PM
govette

yes, regular prop mounted on the front, engine probably upright.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:21 PM
airraptor

ok thats good then. do you have any pics of the plane with wing size and weight. i would think anything under 28 ounces will fly well with a 7x5 APC prop
Old 03-01-2012, 07:28 AM
govette

Hi Guys and thanks for the input - I am unable to easily upload a pic but its basically a tube with wings - span is 33" (280 sq in) and as the plane is still in kit form, I have weighed all components including engine, mount and muffler, prop, tank, 5 mini servos, battery and all kit parts. This comes to approx 22 ounces - of course things like covering, paint and wiring has not been factored in. I was only going to build and retrofit the kit if the engine was able to do the job. The engine manual says an 8x4, 5 prop is what should be used.
So even if I figure 1 1/2 lbs, do you think I should be good to go?
Thanks again
Darryl
Old 03-01-2012, 09:26 AM
airraptor

yes it will fly just fine. not very fast or super vertical. It will come out around 28-29 ounces. You can fly it first with the 8x4 APC if its a MA prop need a 8x5. once you get used to the APC 7x5 performs best and should get you in the 80-90 MPH range. Do not worry about rpm as we have spun the Fp/LA's to 26,000 with tiny props.

I think with the 7x5 APC you will be in the 17,000 range but not sure since havent ran a stock one in a long time.
Old 03-01-2012, 02:15 PM
govette

Well that's good to hear that it will fly given the conditions I listed - I don't necessarily need huge vertical performance either but I will take your advice on the props. Now that you've given me the confidence, I am going to go ahead with the build.
Thanks very much!
Darryl