Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

hangar 9 b25J

Hello all

I just recieved my hangar 9 b25J mitchell and started putting it together this weekend. Looking at my power options there are "recommendations" for 2 stroke and electric, but NOTHING for a 4 stroke which is where I was wanted to go. I find nothing online, in the assembly manual, or from talking with horizon hobby tech support over the phone.

The power "recommendations" as as follows:

Gas .46-.60 2 stroke
    electric Power46BL motors

Without any recommendation I dont want to over or underpower the plane and risk catostrophic failure. Since I am just getting back into the Model flight after over a decade of being away I am a bit in awe and lost with all the latest technology that is available.

So my question to you experts out there is, Can I assume that a 4 stroke of the same size will fit and perform?

The other specs I intend on running for this plane are

fuctional flaps
    robart retracts

RE: hangar 9 b25J

As a general rule of thumb, a four cycle engine will be slightly larger than the recommended two cycle engine. In this case, the recommended two cycle is a .46 cu in displacement. The four cycle replacement would be a .52 or .56 class four cycle engine.
    ~Tom~

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: hangar 9 b25J

I have seen that model fly with the Evolution .46's and it flew very fast. So, I would say Kmot's recomendations would work very well. There is one thing about 4-strokes, they are bigger engines and you would have to cut much of the cowls away to get them in. But the 4-strokes do sound very well on twins! Much better than electrics!
    It does NOT have to be GIANT to be scale!