Community
Search
Notices
Electrics to Glow Conversions Are you converting an electric airplane to glow and need help? Have you already converted an airplane and you want to show it off and give some tips? This is your forum. Enjoy.

hangar 9 b25J

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2010, 11:25 PM
Chrisl1471

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default hangar 9 b25J

Hello all

I just recieved my hangar 9 b25J mitchell and started putting it together this weekend. Looking at my power options there are "recommendations" for 2 stroke and electric, but NOTHING for a 4 stroke which is where I was wanted to go. I find nothing online, in the assembly manual, or from talking with horizon hobby tech support over the phone.

The power "recommendations" as as follows:

Gas .46-.60 2 stroke
electric Power46BL motors

Without any recommendation I dont want to over or underpower the plane and risk catostrophic failure. Since I am just getting back into the Model flight after over a decade of being away I am a bit in awe and lost with all the latest technology that is available.

So my question to you experts out there is, Can I assume that a 4 stroke of the same size will fit and perform?

The other specs I intend on running for this plane are

fuctional flaps
robart retracts

Old 10-10-2010, 01:15 AM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: hangar 9 b25J

As a general rule of thumb, a four cycle engine will be slightly larger than the recommended two cycle engine. In this case, the recommended two cycle is a .46 cu in displacement. The four cycle replacement would be a .52 or .56 class four cycle engine.
Old 10-10-2010, 11:35 AM
scale dail
My Feedback: (8)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: hangar 9 b25J

I have seen that model fly with the Evolution .46's and it flew very fast. So, I would say Kmot's recomendations would work very well. There is one thing about 4-strokes, they are bigger engines and you would have to cut much of the cowls away to get them in. But the 4-strokes do sound very well on twins! Much better than electrics!