Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Electrics to Glow Conversions
Reload this Page >

MQ-9 Reaper help / advice

Notices
Electrics to Glow Conversions Are you converting an electric airplane to glow and need help? Have you already converted an airplane and you want to show it off and give some tips? This is your forum. Enjoy.

MQ-9 Reaper help / advice

Old 01-26-2011, 05:02 PM
jhop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MQ-9 Reaper help / advice

hey guys i just got a MQ-9 reaper from nitro plane and im going to put a nitro motor inplace of the electric one. I put one of my really old .20 engines where i wanna put it but does anyone know if someone makes a shaft extension or something that would work for my problem? I really dont wanna mount the engine all the way in the back because of the weight and i dont really wanna cut into the top. also does anyone know what size engine i should use?
I have alot of other questions but lets start here and see where it goes
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36436.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	1553656  
Old 01-26-2011, 05:07 PM
jhop

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: MQ-9 Reaper help / advice

BTW its about 4 1/2 inches from where u mount the prop on the engine to where it has to exit the back

Old 01-27-2011, 09:04 AM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Cool project!

I don't know if there is a commercially made off the shelf extension that would be the exact size and length you need. However, one could be made easily by anyone with a hobby lathe. You would probably need to add a bulkhead where the shaft exits the fuselage that has a bearing installed to support the shaft at that area. And the shaft would have to be tapered at the end so that a propeller drive hub could seat on it and then of course the very end threaded for the nut.
Old 01-30-2011, 05:16 AM
Mr Cox

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I can't image that it would worth the effort to make an extension of the prop shaft. You would just add a lot of weight in the rear of the plane. Best would be to use a lightweight engine I guess and mount it were it needs to be in order for the prop to clear the fuse. Cooling can be problematic with rear mounted engines so I guess you are better off the head sticking out in to the little airflow that there is.