Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

E-flite Platinum Series Super Cub 25e to 4-stroke Glow

Just "wishing" for right now. This model is 68" wing span, about 6.4 pounds with battery set-up and very scale, except for the bit if dihedral in the wing. It looks like a downsized Dave Patrick Super Cub. Cost is appx $240, but it has the scale wing strut assembly and scale working main landing gear.

I've only got an O.S. 52 4 stroke which is now in a Hangar 9 J3 40 size cub which weighs appx 7 1/4 pounds. When I add up the weight of the recommended electronic gear (mtr, batt., ESC I get 22.3 ounces, and when I add up the .52, extra throttle servo, est. weight of fuel tank and fuel I get about 22 ounces, but I might be too light when allowing for 6 ounces for the tank/fuel. Also I would need to do a little beefing of the motor mount area. But I think the weight could be similar to the "E" set up.

The thing that might make this a good conversion is the size which is good. For more info see: http://www.atlantahobby.com/store/pc...e-26p15309.htm

Any input about this??

Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ay73620.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	17.1 KB 
ID:	1631794  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: E-flite Platinum Series Super Cub 25e to 4-stroke Glow

I used to fly a Goldberg Anniversary Cub on a Saito 45. Your FS-52 will be plenty strong enough imho. I had also thought this Super Cub was a perfect candidate for glow power.
    ~Tom~

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I converted the E-flight Platinum series Aeronca Champ 15e to a glow powered aircraft. I have about 18 flights on it now and I powered it with a OS .15 LA engine, it flies very scale. That Super Cub is built just like the Champ, I would power it with a .25 two stroke. They are very light planes that don't require much power. The Champ has a smaller wingspan at 60" but the construction looks just about identical.

Name:	Hf97995.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	89.3 KB 
ID:	1631841  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Here is one picture with the cowl off. Weight on E-flights planes are very critical. I also converted their L-4 Grasshopper with a .074 motor and a 2oz tank, it turned out heavy. Flew fast and was a bear to get off the ground. The L-4 was a lot smaller as well. Oh, one other thing, on the Champ I believe I put in a 4-6oz tank and I get with the OS .15 LA engine 7minutes and 30 sec. of flight, flying at 1/2 power.

Name:	Kh17853.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	89.0 KB 
ID:	1631847  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

This SuperCub is very tempting to convert, I'm thinking Saito FA-40, might have to re-do the servo mounts to move the weight forward, mount battery on the engine mount, ect to get proper C/G. I hope this is just the first in a series of Platnum SuperCubs, A 70 / 90 fs size would be very popular I would bet.....Horizon....You guy's listening???

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Beautiful airplane! I have NIB an OS40, Saito 40, OS 52 all four stroke. The Saito looks like Jewelry! The OS has more weight which might play well here. The 52 looks a little big for this cub. Though this airplane is a bit expensive... the scale looks with the sound of a four stroke would be fantastic and make it worthwhile. Which engine would u use? BTW, the reason I have these similar engines is that I am stocking up on 1/6 scale Balsa USA WWI kits. I retire in 1.5 yrs!

Thanks,

Cesar

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback
    Old thread but was wondering about converting this one to 4S also.... At first I was considering the Saito FA-30 for the cub as it looks like a pretty nice fit within the cowl and power should be okay. Now Iam looking also at the FA-60T still wondering if it would fit within cowl though and power being more like a .40 2S should be on the money too. Can anyone shed some light for me on this cubs actual cowl width please...

Cheers- Marty