Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

E-Flite Bonanza to glow, anyone do it yet?

I've been out of the hobby for about 2 years give or take and haven't flown since May of last year. I'm getting myself back into it as I have a friend interested in learning to fly and restoring my 80s BMWs is getting a wee bit too expensive and time consuming for my life right now.

Anyway, I took a look around the old online stores I use to visit to see what all has come out in my 2 years of absence. I stumble upon the Bonanza. I'm not going to lie, I'm a sucker for small scale planes. Anything below .40 and is scale is alright by me.

My only downside I see, other than a lack of an included v-tail, is it's electric. I'm not a big electric guy, I enjoy the sound of a glow engine when I'm flying and the ease of filling up and putting her back in the air.

I've done glow conversions before, mainly with my fleet (8 at one point) of Mini Ultra Sticks. 4 of them were glow, a .15 OS CX, .15 AP Wasp, .25 OS, and .15 OS LA respectfully. I know on those I had to reenforce the whole airframe mainly because of the amount of flex present in that design, particularly when windy. I have a whole build thread on it some where on here.

I imagine I would have to do the same to the Bonanza*, which isn't a problem. I'm just curious if anyone has done it yet? I'm planning on a .30 four stroke just for the sake of sound and something different.

*I haven't had a chance to see the plane in person to inspect it, but I will be ordering one soon.

Looking forward to some responses.
    Everyone crashes, its the matter of whose is cooler when it does!
    MUS Rebuild: http://tiny.cc/D6vWj

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: E-Flite Bonanza to glow, anyone do it yet?

I havent but have thought of doing that one also. Go with the OS 30fs should be a great flying plane with a 10x6 prop.
    AMA # 126183
    Fly light, fly fast and fly low.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: E-Flite Bonanza to glow, anyone do it yet?

I have their T-34 Mentor, and if the Bonanza is anything like the 34, other than adding a firewall and fuel proofing, the conversion should be easy.  Its smaller than the T-34, but should still be built as rugged.

The one thing I would avoid though are adding the retracts they have for it, they wouldnt hold up to the glow vibrations. If you do put retracts, you would be better off with mechanicals instead.

I haven't converted mine yet since its currently my only flyable plane and flying season isnt over yet. but it is on the block to be converted this winter. I believe there are flat tanks that can go in place of where the battery pack goes, so the tray doesn't need to be modified.  Since I am going 4 stroke, the smaller tank will still give me a long flight time.  It should also balance out well too, the added weight of the motor should offset the weight of the electric motor, ESC and battery pack.

Looking at my firewall setup, a portion would need to be removed, a new piece made to attach to the bulkhead, so the motor mount can be attached, and a new nose wheel setup, most likely a motor mount with nose wheel will be needed. This should help seal up the fuse too.

One other thing to note, not sure if the Bonanza has this problem, they both have similar design, but the canopy tends to come off in flight on the T-34, so adding a latch at the rear of the canopy may be a good thing too on the Bonanza.  It would suck to have it come off in flight, especially when running glow since you dont want that slime getting inside the plane.  One thing I may do is make a silicone gasket on the canopy  and wing to help seal it from the exhaust.
    SIG Brotherhood # 3
    Mustang Brotherhood # 6
    Corsair Brotherhood # 86
    Kadet Brotherhood # 24
    http://www.facebook.com/pages/B-17e-...18159428244374