Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Electrics to Glow Conversions
Reload this Page >

E-flite Piper Pawnee 15e: Conversion to Glow

Community
Search
Notices
Electrics to Glow Conversions Are you converting an electric airplane to glow and need help? Have you already converted an airplane and you want to show it off and give some tips? This is your forum. Enjoy.

E-flite Piper Pawnee 15e: Conversion to Glow

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 08:14 PM
apwachholz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E-flite Piper Pawnee 15e: Conversion to Glow

Hello All -

Having just realized this room was formed I figured that I would share my electric-to-glow conversion for the E-flite Piper Pawnee 15e. I did it a few years ago with an O.S. .25 SF (circa 1990 engine) and a 9x5 wood prop and the results were great. There was literally no modifications to the kit other then having to cut the cowl to fit a glow engine.
Surprisingly the electric motor mount threads match perfectly to a Great Planes .20-.45 adjustable motor mount. Unfortunately the kit was discontinued recently but, there are a few floating around out there and if you are interested in doing a glow conversion, it can be done. The following is a shameless plug for my site but, also has the full story and write up of the conversion.
Hope this can be helpful to someone. Cheers!
_andrew
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71689.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	155.8 KB
ID:	1674083  
Old 10-13-2011, 08:25 PM
apwachholz

Default RE: E-flite Piper Pawnee 15e: Conversion to Glow

Hey All -
My apologes, I'd like to upload a few more images however I'm having trouble trying to get more than one image to load per post. That being the case, here's another of the Piper Pawnee 15e just off take-off. For a full view of some of the modifications and how I installed the engine, just hit up my link above. I'll see what I can do to post multiple images to avoid linking out.

Name:	Pm34980.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	214.3 KB
ID:	1674084  
Old 10-13-2011, 08:57 PM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Nice conversion! Looks awesome. Good looking pilot too.
Old 10-15-2011, 02:07 PM
Kmot

I was just in my LHS today and he has one! Man I was like one inch away from buying it. I'm still debating it. I need another model plane like I need a hole in the head...
Old 10-16-2011, 07:53 PM
apwachholz

@Tom - Perhaps another image of the Pawnee in flight might help. It's a wonderful plane to relax with while flying and oddly enough, it got a lot of attention since it was unique to a lot of other aircraft at my club. There's another Pawnee at my LHS, as well, and I'm contemplating buying it to store for a few years down the road.Oh the delema....

Name:	Jh15475.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	82.6 KB
ID:	1675341  
Old 10-16-2011, 09:32 PM
Kmot

I could really dig it! And the "save it for further down the road" comment almost tipped the scales.

But really, I need to save my pennies because I want to buy a DX7s radio system with telemetry.

But what if I bought the Pawnee 15e, and sold one of my other kits to compensate? Hmmm.....
Old 10-21-2022, 10:31 AM
rc4j
My Feedback: (103)

Andrew,
I realize this was quite a while ago, but I’m hoping to convert my Pawnee over to an OS 40 Surpass 4 stroke. Do you think this would be a viable option? Power wise? I’ll beef up the firewall of course, but concerned about the vibrations from the four stroke.