Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Electrics to Glow Conversions
Reload this Page >

will this ESC let your plane land

Community
Search
Notices
Electrics to Glow Conversions Are you converting an electric airplane to glow and need help? Have you already converted an airplane and you want to show it off and give some tips? This is your forum. Enjoy.

will this ESC let your plane land

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2012, 06:54 PM
suzonka
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default will this ESC let your plane land

I saw this ESC for sale, if you read the last line it claims it will shut off so you cant even lad the plane with controls

Got an old brushed motor laying around and want to put it to good use?
The Turnigy brushed ESC is an excellent speed controller with a linear throttle curve, Lipoly/NiMh ready and programmable braking.

Features:
The break function can be turn on/off by the jumper
Battery type can be chosen by a jumper
For Lipo the threshold for each cell is 3.0v, less than the threshold ESC will gradually reduce the output power
PWM frequency is 2KHz
Over heat protection over 110C
Throttle signal loss for 1sec will gradually reduce the output power, after 2sec completely cut-off
Spec.
Cont Current: 30A
Burst Current: 40A
BEC Mode: 5v/1A
Lipo Cells: 2-3
NiMH : 4-10
Weight: 21g
Size: 45x21x8mm

Old 06-01-2012, 09:42 AM
opjose

Default RE: will this ESC let your plane land

As others are bound to tell you this is a forum for the discussion of converting electric planes to glow engines... not for discussing electrics.

-

Ok now that the disclaimer is out of the way.

Almost all ESC's have a LV cut that keeps the controls working but diminishes power to the motor once you hit the LiPo voltage threshold.

In most cases you can glide the plane in for a landing, and if absolutely necessary, take the throttle all the way down, then back up again to get a few more seconds of reduced power for landing.

But you are best off NEVER permitting this to happen... and setting your timer appropriately...

Brushed motors have fallen out of favor due to the higher efficiency and power output of Brushless...

Old 06-04-2012, 05:39 PM
acdii

Received 97 Likes on 88 Posts

Unless you have an ESC like mine that decided to drop the voltage to teh RX, with a fully charged Lipo.  Im in the process of repairing it now and going back to considering converting to glow. It has a power 25 BL motor on it, which from what I read is equivalent to a .25 glow, so now looking to find a 4 stroke equivalent to a 2 stroke 25. 
Old 06-05-2012, 09:48 AM
opjose

Many ESC's use linear ( analog ) regulatiors instead of switching ones.

The analog BEC circuitry cannot handle more than 2 or 3 servos once the voltage is at 11.1v or greater.

The higher the voltage input the worst things get.

It could be that your power was cut out because the on board BEC couldn't handle the servo/RX load.

"Switch mode" BECs on ESC's do a much better job.

Of course the best thing to do is to use a separate BEC, particularly once your at 11.1v or higher.

You can obtain switch mode BEC's that are good up to 8A or more, sufficient for fairly large planes.

On my .25 size electrics I utilize a 2-4A BEC to avoid problems after learning this lesson the hard way.

I've never had a loss of RX signal nor servo power problem since then.