Notices
Electrics to Glow Conversions Are you converting an electric airplane to glow and need help? Have you already converted an airplane and you want to show it off and give some tips? This is your forum. Enjoy.

400 brush = ??????

Old 10-19-2012, 09:26 AM
barnbikes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 400 brush = ??????

Have a Hitec Sky Scooter proII that has a 400 brush motor in it.

Battery in it weighs as much as the plane does.

What glow motor equals a 400 brush motor?

Plan on using packing tape to seal foam body.

was told to find a .010 engine but want a second opinion before I buy anything.

Thanks,
Jon
Old 10-19-2012, 02:46 PM
optech
My Feedback: (9)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: 400 brush = ??????

A hot brushed "400" motor was about 70W or so. So about 1/10th (.1hp) of a horsepower give or take a little. Nitro wise that would be a strong .049. Like a Cox Black Widow or better yet a TeeDee. The AME or Norvel .049s might work. If you can find one, a Cox .09 Medallion would work fine. Those are not really throttled engines though. You can jimmy a throttle on them but it robs power and is not always reliable without a bunch of tinkering.

Engines with throttles that would work would be the AP Hornet .061 and the .09 available at Hobby People or the Thunder Tiger .07 at Towerhobbies.

Personally, the TT .07 would be my first choice. Its small, light, reliable, has enough power and has a built in engine mount. You can bolt it directly to the firewall, or to a spacer glued to the firewall and save the hassle and weight of a separate engine mount.

About the foam. Those planes were made with the older "beer cooler" or styrene foam if I recall. There were plenty of foamy ready or quick builts back in the day for nitro engines so glow fuel is not terribly detrimental to it. Raw high nitro fuel should not be haphazardly spilled all over it, and if so, wiped off right away. So you could conceivably fly it unfinished but eventually glow goo, dirt, and grass stuff will make it ugly. You can try finishing it with packing tape but in no time glow fuel and exhaust goo will get under it and make a mess. We used to either paint with a foam safe paint or cover with a low heat covering. The paints are no longer available but you could put down a couple coats of waterbased poly urethane like MinWax polycrylic. Put down a coat, let dry, sand smooth, repeat one or two more times til your satisfied the foam is sealed. Then paint with Rustoleum. Another option would be to cover with a low heat foam safe covering like Econokote from TowerHobbies. That plane has alot of curves and crevises so it wont be easy but it'll work great.

Hope some of this helps,
Mike