Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Electrics to Glow Conversions
Reload this Page >

b17 electric to glow

Notices
Electrics to Glow Conversions Are you converting an electric airplane to glow and need help? Have you already converted an airplane and you want to show it off and give some tips? This is your forum. Enjoy.

b17 electric to glow

Old 11-07-2015, 08:34 AM
jetdeck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default b17 electric to glow

hey guys, need your thoughts, advice, so on.have 2 b17s from troy built, there electric, foam 79inch wspan.built first as electric, fun to fly awesome in air, but the flight time is not getting it.want to build the other, but take the speed controls, and 4 electric motors out, and put a glow engine in nose, thinking a 40-50 2 stroke, not looking for speed, or aerobatics of course, just longer flight time. will be keeping the flaps, and retracts.have posted in other areas not getting the answers I need. serious answers, I know its a bomber and I fly it like one. also thoughts on balancing. will make a motors mount for the 4 nacells so props spin freely, also what prop to use on the glow.would think a 40 size would be more than adequate.if I cant get any good feedback, will go it alone, and if successful will post, and load a video of her flying, thanks guys
Old 11-09-2015, 10:14 AM
crazyflyer92

I would say go for it and let us know how it comes out
Old 11-09-2015, 02:07 PM
jetdeck

Default b17 electric to glow

hey crazy flier, thanks man,gonna wait a bit see if anyone has their thoughts,i'm in meantime working on how to go about it,modifying nose for good strong motor mount and firewall, have some ideas,probably use battery space for fuel tank,and mini servo for throttle,thanks for the reply.i'll be sure to let everyone know how it goes, what I did in detail, and knock on wood, how it flies, take care, jetdeck
Old 11-17-2015, 06:08 AM
mikes68charger
My Feedback: (34)

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Really if you want longer flight times, you have other options, I cant belive Im going to say this but HK has there newer quad lipos out, there green, they are like 10c lipos.

But if you wach the video on the lipos, they advantage of the low 10c rating is the weight of the lipos are around 30% lighter. So there exsample was a something like a 3s 3700 lipo 65c weights almsot the same as there 3s 5000mah 10c while we alwasy tent to over build things now days, if you look at it, a 5000mah 10c lipo should still be good for burst around 50-60amps with no drama. Im not sure about your B17 but Im builing a 125in B17 and Im useing 4 580kv 6s set ups with 14X9X3 MAS props pulling 48amps wot each, or 13X9X3 MAS prop pulling 40amps wot, so cruse amps are really low....

anyways just an ideal..
Old 01-02-2017, 12:12 AM
I-fly-any-and-all
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I would suggest the old royal scale b-17, wingspan 77 3/4". Kits pop up on ebay bit can be pricey!!!! 300-450$!!!!
Plans include all templates needed to scratch build are available for free download here
http://outerzone.co.uk/search/results.asp?keyword=Royal
Old 01-02-2017, 12:13 AM
I-fly-any-and-all
My Feedback: (1)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It was recommended four .15-.25 engines for power. Ive got four os 20 four cycle engines for mine. Ive seen video of one on four os .15's.