Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Electrics to Glow Conversions
Reload this Page >

AeroWorks 52" Extra 260 glow conversion

Community
Search
Notices
Electrics to Glow Conversions Are you converting an electric airplane to glow and need help? Have you already converted an airplane and you want to show it off and give some tips? This is your forum. Enjoy.

AeroWorks 52" Extra 260 glow conversion

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2017, 11:35 PM
Bad Tooth
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AeroWorks 52" Extra 260 glow conversion

I have been flying my extra 260 on electric power and I would like to get longer flight times. I'm currently get about 7-8 min with a 3000 4s pack. I thought putting a small 4 stroke on it would do the trick, what do you guys think? And what would you recommend? Saito fa-40?

I have never weighed the plane but AeroWorks says that without the battery it is 52-53 oz.

http://www.aero-works.net/product/freestyle-extra-260-qb-l/
Old 07-14-2017, 09:54 AM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I don't have that plane or anything like it, but I do have a Saito 40 that makes around 10,000 rpm on a 12x4 prop, which gives between 5 to 5 1/2 lbs of thrust. It is very light, only 10.8 oz w muffler. Whether that's enough or not really depends on how you like to fly and how much the plane will weigh in the end. I suspect you might prefer a Saito 62.

Also, I would check to see how much weight your plane will need under the cowl. If the 40 will balance it well, then maybe it would be a good choice to keep it light. If it needs more weight in the nose in order to balance, I would check the length of the Saito 62; if it fits under the hood and balances the plane well, I'd go with that. Maybe you'd prefer the 62 even if it needed a bit of weight in the back to balance, if you want to pull out of hovers or something like that.

They are both really sweet engines and sound wonderful; that will be another plus in my opinion.

Jim
Old 07-14-2017, 09:58 AM
Bad Tooth
My Feedback: (10)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the advice. I think I should weigh the plane first. Sounds like the .62 may be the ticket.

How do you weigh your planes? I have a small digital scale but I don't think it goes above 5 lbs.
Old 07-14-2017, 03:53 PM
buzzard bait

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Five pounds is 80 oz, so you should be fine. If not, take the wings off and weigh separately.

Consider the weight of the engine, including muffler, a motor mount, fuel tank, and throttle servo. Of course you won't need an ESC, which usually weighs about what a small throttle servo weighs. All your other servos should be fine even if they are micros. If they controlled it on electric power they will control it on glow. I have used 13g servos on a plane powered by a Saito 50 and see no problem at all.

I have a small digital balance that goes to 11 lbs. I often have to pile up some foam or balsa blocks, re-tare, and then weigh the plane. Plane makes it hard to read the result on a small flat balance, blocks also get it up off the wheels.

Jim
Old 06-28-2018, 05:32 AM
r ward

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have an electronic fishing scale that weighs in tenths of a lb. very accurate. from Walmart I believe.
Old 06-28-2018, 05:38 AM
r ward

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

something to think about is that an electric plane is not built to handle the vibration and stresses that occur with a IC engine. you might want to consider adding some gusseting or doubling some of the formers in the nose area and doubling the fire wall