Community
Search
Notices
Electrics to Glow Conversions Are you converting an electric airplane to glow and need help? Have you already converted an airplane and you want to show it off and give some tips? This is your forum. Enjoy.

ASM C130 Motors

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2017, 12:22 AM
Typhoon Phil

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default ASM C130 Motors

Ok sorry guys this is a question for converting the other way to electric...... I am about to start my ASM C130 which I am going to do electric (mainly for safety reasons i.e. don't want to lose an engine inflight)...... but not much into electric power or motor sizes.... the instructions say 4x 600 size motors or speed 600s with gearboxes ..... also I'm thinking of changing the model to resemble the new model 130J aircraft and I have found spares for the FMS 1100 PC-21 model which uses a brushless 3541 -KV750 matched with a 10x7 5 bladed prop (which would resemble the J variant well). I don't know how electric motors are specified but does the 3541-KV750 designation match the 600 size requirement ..... sorry I'm 2 stroke old school and work in 25, 40 size dirty engines.......

Any comments gratefully received.
Old 10-16-2017, 07:55 AM
jrf
My Feedback: (551)

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

The 600 designation is for brushed motors and is pretty much obsolete now. The 3541 is brushless (vastly superior to brushed) and in my experience, is roughly equivalent to a 25 two stroke engine. Sounds like a good choice for the C130.

A word of warning though: Do not use separate battery packs for each of the four motors. That will almost guarantee that you will lose a motor in flight when one battery runs low before the others. If you can't use one central battery pack, the best way is to use one pack for the two inboard motors and one pack for the two outboard motors. (Never use one for the left motors and one for the right motors.)

Jim

Last edited by jrf; 10-16-2017 at 07:59 AM.
Old 10-19-2017, 05:22 AM
Typhoon Phil

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Cheers Jim.... was going to pair the motors wrt batteries..... inner and outers and it sounds like the motor/prop combo is about right and is a good known combo from another model so think i will go with it.