Electrics to Glow Conversions Are you converting an electric airplane to glow and need help? Have you already converted an airplane and you want to show it off and give some tips? This is your forum. Enjoy.

Prop question

Old 01-25-2019, 08:30 AM
ghost2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default Prop question

I converted my Senior Telemaster to electric and using a Tomcat G601 5030-400kv motor with a 15x6 prop. It seems I need to stay in the throttle quite a bit to fly whereas when it was nitro, it would fly at idle. Could prop be the issue? And if so, can a different prop size be recommended? Thanks
Old 01-25-2019, 10:19 AM
speedracerntrixie
My Feedback: (29)

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

More information is required. What voltage and amperage battery are you using? What specific speed control and is it programmable? How hot are the motor and speed control getting?
Old 01-25-2019, 12:03 PM
ghost2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I've only flown a couple of times, but didn't notice excessive heat from esc or battery.

Battery - Admiral 5000mAh 6S 22.2V 50C LiPo Battery with EC5 Connector

Esc - ZTW Mantis 85A ESC with 5A SBEC
Old 01-25-2019, 12:11 PM
speedracerntrixie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

On 6s you could easily go to an APC 16x8 E prop. You may have to set up a throttle curve to bring the power on sooner. I typically like to have cruise speed at half Stick which translates into 5/8-3/4 power at half Stick.
Old 01-25-2019, 12:24 PM
ghost2

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Thanks... I'll try the 16x8
Old 01-26-2019, 08:35 AM
Appowner

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Don't expect the electric to fly exactly like the nitro. Different "engines" doing their thing in different ways. For example, the electric can be "idled" down far lower than a nitro engine can be.

The only way to make a true comparison is for the electric and nitro to use the same prop in the same RPM range. And even there it wouldn't be a fair comparison but it would be closer.
Old 01-26-2019, 03:40 PM
speedracerntrixie

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

With an electric outrunner type motor that the OP has you are able to spin a larger prop at a slower rpm which we are finding to be more efficient for an airplane like the Kadet Sr. Pretty much the same reason why guys started flying 4 strokes on them only better. Another advantage of electric is that you don't need to prop to run in the power band. Electrics have torque at any rpm and as long as you don't exceed amperage for any of the components you can keep adding more prop. Depending on the type of airplane you can adjust cell count and prop size to suit the airplane type. Fewer cells allow for bigger props at less rpm for a Kadet type or more cells with a smaller prop at higher rpm for more sporty airplanes. Running a glow prop on an electric only reduces efficiency.