Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Electrics to Glow Conversions
Reload this Page >

Next project lancair LA 15

Notices
Electrics to Glow Conversions Are you converting an electric airplane to glow and need help? Have you already converted an airplane and you want to show it off and give some tips? This is your forum. Enjoy.

Next project lancair LA 15

Old 02-15-2010, 10:59 PM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Next project lancair LA 15

making mods to the lancair to handle anything i want to throw at it. For now will be a stage one LA 15 About 19,000 on a 7x6
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	ay73859.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	1.61 MB
ID:	1380000  
Old 02-15-2010, 11:02 PM
airraptor

Default RE: Next project lancair LA 15

more pics

Name:	da83542.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	2.14 MB
ID:	1380001  
Old 02-15-2010, 11:03 PM
airraptor

another one need to figure out how to put all pics on post

Name:	Sp45472.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	37.3 KB
ID:	1380002  
Old 02-16-2010, 03:02 AM
wdemon

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oh, that should be a fun one. Looks good!
Old 04-08-2010, 11:54 AM
mtntopgeo
My Feedback: (12)

Airraptor, Saw one of these last time I was at the field. The fellow had an aftermarket elec motor in it. The takeoff was effortless, & it was flying quite nicely. Then, he put full power to it, & instantly the plane was more pylon-type-on-rails than sport flyer. With that small wing, I thought that the landing was gonna have to be at mach .9, however, approach speed was rather tame. Had to order one that night. (just what I need, another project waiting on the workbench!!! Plan to install a Norvel .15 Big Mig, which is what bought me to this forum. .......... Questions; Did you get yours in the air yet? (Flight report please) ...... What is your dry weight? Looks like mine is gonna be a very porky 25+ OZs. (About 5 more than what I'd like to see with that small wing. .........Considering the glow fuel exhaust, are you gonna stick with the tape (no pun intended) hinges on the control surfaces? .............Are you using the stock landing gear hardware? I'd like to use some type of retract, but that wing looks pretty thin. May be a little much of a challenge. ..... what did you use for a firewall? I was thinking 3/16 birch ply (overkill?) .......... Thanks, in advance, for your reply. ............. George K
Old 04-08-2010, 03:23 PM
airraptor

I havent flown yet. small retracts would be awesome and now thinking about i should do the same. plenty of room. for firwall i made one to fit in fus and fiberglassed in. very strong. yes stock hinges look fine to me. specially for 100mph. its a very tight fit to get lined up with cowl with side mounted engine. I dont have much time now late for meeting but will go over more tonight for ya.
Old 04-08-2010, 10:29 PM
airraptor

i worked some more one mine tonight. with everything in and all it was 30.65 ounces. so around 31-32 ounces dry. that is still a good weight for this plane. wont be really fast i dont think but will be fun to fly. shooting touch and goes. i will add retracts to mine once eflight gets the electric ones in stock
Old 04-09-2010, 11:38 PM
mtntopgeo

I was more concerned 'bout the glow fuel exhaust disolving the adhesive on the hinges, rather than the speed. What do you think??? Just realized that I didn't include the firewall & makeshift muffler for the Norvel in my weight guesstimate. Yeah, we're gonna be close to 30 OZS. Seems like a lot, to me. ............. George K.
Old 04-10-2010, 11:14 AM
airraptor

I flew mine yester day. total weight was 32.6 ounces dry. It only flew one flight. We cant figure out what went wrong. I was inverted coming around for a low pass and mid turn it tucked in and went in. We think the carbon rod failed and let it spin some on the fus and gave a large roll input. It will be repairable but dont feel like messing with now. so for yours i want you to add a spruce dowl to inside the carbon rod. then get a larger carbon rod that slips over the one in the kit. cut it to length so that it fits in side the fus. put winge on with that extra tube installed and build up some light ply around that tube. this needs to be done. the wings were flexing alot and i wasnt even pulling very hard at all. If need more help let me know. as far as the tape hinges I think youll be fine. My exhaust went down the belly of the fus.
Old 04-10-2010, 05:50 PM
mtntopgeo

ORIGINAL: airraptor

I flew mine yester day. total weight was 32.6 ounces dry. It only flew one flight. We cant figure out what went wrong. I was inverted coming around for a low pass and mid turn it tucked in and went in. We think the carbon rod failed and let it spin some on the fus and gave a large roll input. It will be repairable but dont feel like messing with now. so for yours i want you to add a spruce dowl to inside the carbon rod. then get a larger carbon rod that slips over the one in the kit. cut it to length so that it fits in side the fus. put winge on with that extra tube installed and build up some light ply around that tube. this needs to be done. the wings were flexing alot and i wasnt even pulling very hard at all. If need more help let me know. as far as the tape hinges I think youll be fine. My exhaust went down the belly of the fus.

Such grim news. I appreciate the advice, & I will heed your warning. ......................... George K.
Old 12-20-2011, 03:49 PM
blusail68

hi,I'm from Italy, just converted my Lancair after a lot of troubles with brushed and brushless engine.Put an MDS 18 very powerful,the plane is fast on speed and easy on landing.The structure has been reinforced only putting a second carbon rod.no other modifications.exciting in the manouvers and even going vertically without troubles.I really suggest this configuration for all the lancair's owners.
Old 12-21-2011, 11:50 AM
airraptor

yes it is a great small plane converted to glow.
Old 12-23-2011, 10:29 AM
Kmot
My Feedback: (24)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I have one of those e-Lancair NIB so this thread really has piqued my interest. Great looking engine swap!