Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > Electrics to Glow Conversions
Reload this Page >

Looking to convert this Cosmos!

Community
Search
Notices
Electrics to Glow Conversions Are you converting an electric airplane to glow and need help? Have you already converted an airplane and you want to show it off and give some tips? This is your forum. Enjoy.

Looking to convert this Cosmos!

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2010, 06:01 PM
skeeter_ca

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Looking to convert this Cosmos!

Both me and my son won Cosmos's in the local raffles during our monthly meeting. Almost a year apart.

http://www.cermark.com/products/Cerm...ctric-ARF.html

We would like to make them glow for more fun. What would be a good size engine for them without over doing it? The site recommends a CEM-2812-840 kv Outrunner Brushles Motor.

skeeter

Old 06-08-2010, 06:52 AM
Mr67Stang

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Looking to convert this Cosmos!

At less than 1 lbs advertized weight and 285sq in wing area it will not take much engine to get this flying. I bet an old Cox .051 TD would make it fly but not 3D. The OS .10 LA would give this plane the required power but I would be concerned about how fragile this plane might be when subject to the vibration. In the pictures the wing looks like it was built up with minimum structure and weight in mind. I am not saying it can't be done by any means but it will be challenging.
Old 06-08-2010, 12:36 PM
airraptor
My Feedback: (66)

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

the best engine for power and weight is the novel .074 if you can find one.

Stang a td.051, or even a norvel .061 would be hard pressed to fly it with that thick wing.

you are better off finding another plane better suited for a glow conversion.
Old 06-08-2010, 03:21 PM
Mr67Stang

ORIGINAL: airraptor

Stang a td.051, or even a norvel .061 would be hard pressed to fly it with that thick wing.
I bet it would "just fly" it. Nothing spectacular. I set that as a minimum. That wing will provide lots of lift and not need much airspeed to maintain altitude. Would it be fun to fly? HECK NO! So I sudjested the OS .10la pretty much equal power as the Norvel .074 but far more available and less expensive. If you care to challenge me, you can send me one of those kits and I'll put a .051 TD on it or a Norvel .061 AME. I'll send it back all covered in castor slime
Old 06-08-2010, 05:08 PM
skeeter_ca

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have an old OS Max .15 in the crockpot cleaning up. I was thinking if it runs good use that! Think it might be a wee bit too much though. Haven't looked closely at the frame to see what kind of work it would need to handle glow.

skeeter
Old 06-08-2010, 05:23 PM
Mr67Stang

The first step is to post some pictures of the firewall and as much of behind the fire wall as can be seen
Old 06-09-2010, 01:11 PM
Mr Cox

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Okay, lets look at the specs; 31", 285 sq inch area, and 14.5oz. This should fly just fine with a good .049-.061 engine. A Norvel .074 will pull it vertical and an OS .15 will turn it into a brick...

Save the .15 engine for something around 26oz and 350 sq inch, that's my advice...