Go Back  RCU Forums > Radios, Batteries, Clubhouse and more > Employment, Jobs, Help Wanted in Radio Control Industry
Reload this Page >

My Taft Hobby is a slug....How do I get it to perform as advertised?

Notices
Employment, Jobs, Help Wanted in Radio Control Industry List your ad free for help wanted in the rc industry here. If you are seeking a job in the rc industry post your resume or other information as applicable here.

My Taft Hobby is a slug....How do I get it to perform as advertised?

Old 10-25-2014, 05:12 PM
Kim Couturier
My Feedback: (120)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Taft Hobby is a slug....How do I get it to perform as advertised?

I bought a Taft Hobbies 90mm viper from KMP. The first time I flew it, it barely had enough thrust to get off the paved runway. I put a thread out asking for advice.....several guys told me to " calibrate" the throttle, which I did. Better, but still not very fast......one of my club buddies downloaded the ESC manual, and tried to program it to get more thrust....not much difference. I am stumped. I see videos of this jet, and it seems quite fast......mine is a slug! Help,
Old 01-07-2017, 03:40 PM
old4570

Hmmmm , What ESC ( could it be faulty ? ) Have you tried another ESC ? ( To confirm or deny )
Battery , is it rated high enough ?
How was the ESC calibrated ? ( Servo tester ? ) Does the ESC require a program card ?

I had a 40A esc in one of my helicopters that never performed , even the cheapest Chinese 40A esc would kick it to the curb ..
I ended up putting it in the rubbish . ( I ordered 2 of them at the time , the other is still un used in my spare parts box , it could be rubbish as well )

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mCGrNpWkMLQ

Great video
Old 10-16-2017, 06:46 PM
cybersarg
My Feedback: (5)

Default My Taft

I also have this Jet and yes it is not a speed demon, use flap on take off for sure. At full throttle i maybe get 50MPH but this is a treat to fly as all my other jets fly the hinges off so this jet allows me to enjoy jet flying and practice landing jets
Old 01-14-2018, 02:46 PM
geneh-RCU
My Feedback: (6)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A friend had one and it was the same way. Slow and no vertical at all. The Solution was to put a JP aluminum fan and motor in it. This plane now is fast and has all the vertical you want. The old fan was only showing about 1000 watts but the new JP fan is checking at just over 2000 watts.