Community
Search
Notices
Employment, Jobs, Help Wanted in Radio Control Industry List your ad free for help wanted in the rc industry here. If you are seeking a job in the rc industry post your resume or other information as applicable here.

hobbytown usa franchise?

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2011, 01:55 PM
electricrc68
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: hobbytown usa franchise?

just wondering, will Hobbytown solder battery connectors on for you? like from a tamiya plug to a traxxas plug?
Old 02-20-2011, 03:21 PM
rchobbydood
My Feedback: (2)

Excellent advice - listen to what he says
Old 04-17-2011, 06:42 AM
dpb73

u need a track. the biggest and long lasting hobby stores have some type of racing.
Old 05-01-2011, 04:33 AM
john.hopkins
My Feedback: (3)

I'm guessing you go to riverside hobbies. I dont know if you know, but espiritmodels is off of palm bay rd... If you havent been there you need to make a special trip. Its unbelievable...
Old 05-01-2011, 04:36 AM
john.hopkins
My Feedback: (3)

I'm guessing you go to riverside hobbies. I dont know if you know, but espiritmodels is off of palm bay rd... If you havent been there you need to make a special trip. Its unbelievable..
ORIGINAL: rambler53

ORIGINAL: AMOUREDTANK

As a buyer I personally think you'd be better off with your own shop. Hobbytown is too biased towards Traxxas in my area.
I agree! Hobbytown in my area is too biased on EP, you can only find Two glow engines in the display case, a .46LA and 46AX, that's it!
Lots of Eflite, puzzles, stuffed animals, trains, paintball, and other toys. For the glow hobby, you have to drive to Sebastian (30 miles away).
Old 05-03-2011, 07:38 PM
fgibson

After years of no local hobby shop we suddently have two in town.  One is an independent and the other is a new Hobbytown.  As a glow airplane guy, both are disappointing because they are chock full of bind n fly pre-built stuff.  The people working there seem to know little about glow powered airplanes.  Actually the folks at HT didn't know what a J series connector was today when I was there (much less the old G series adapter that I was looking for).  Guess they are still training...doing my best to educate them...LOL

Not one single airplane kit in either of them.  I know, nobody wants to build anymore.  (Not sure I believe that.  Have you tried to bid on a kit recently on ebay?  They are not going cheap.  Somebody out there still wants to build.)

Anyway I am watching with great interest to see which one will survive and/or prosper.  I think it will be the one that takes the time to find out what the local people want and can adapt to that.  Hobby shops have gotten to be like McDonalds...all the same and kind of lacking in individual character and creativity.  Bottom line is that I'm glad both of them are here and I'm going to give them as much business as I can.  I believe in supporting local hobby shops.  And, not having to drive an hour to get to the nearest hobby shop is huge with gas prices today.

As far as local pricing versus Tower, the other day I found a Futaba 2.4ghz 7 channel receiver at HT that was $15 cheaper than Tower.  That was a deal!

Old 05-03-2011, 07:57 PM
ramcfarland
My Feedback: (44)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In Waldorf we used to have a fairly well stocked hobby shop with a friendly and knowledgeable staff but the shop is gone though the building remains I would love to work PT at a hobby Town franchise in Waldorf Maryland.. You stock it and I will sell it

Old 05-11-2011, 10:11 AM
htusa1

As president of the HobbyTown USA franchise, I can speak to some of the information and challenges shared by former franchisees and employees on this thread in regard to the operation of a hobby shop (franchise or independent). Without question, owning and operating a retail business of any kind is a challenge and requires hard work and dedication to be successful. Each HobbyTown USA store is independently owned and operated and as such, the owner of each franchise is given great latitude to tailor the inventory selection in the store to fit the local market and their personal hobby interests. Our franchise owners have access to national and regional sales data to help guide their inventory purchasing decisions to complement the feedback from their local market. We encourage and welcome customer feedback at each store to help shape the inventory and best meet the needs of our local hobby customers.

The hobby industry and consumer tastes have certainly evolved in our 25 years of franchising. While we have made every effort to adapt our product selection and innovate the customer shopping experience along the way, we have also tried to maintain a focus on the fundamental value that a brick and mortar hobby shop can provide for individuals, families and communities. We greatly appreciate the loyalty and support of hobby customers to the LHS to keep this rich community tradition alive and provide a venue for future generations to have a hands on hobby shopping experience. As stated in an earlier post, if you have further questions about the franchise, please feel free to contact Nichole at [email protected].
Old 02-20-2012, 09:51 AM
meistertjk

How about doing an online store like hobbyking, nitroplanes, etc.? I was really thinking of opening my own online store. Trying to find for suppliers/manufacturers. What do you think?
Old 03-12-2012, 06:41 PM
FormerCA.
My Feedback: (8)

I pesonally will pay a few dollars more for the convenience of being able to pick up whatever i need right then.
Old 03-13-2012, 08:17 PM
chuckk2

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Running a successful hobby shop depends on a lot of variables.
1. Pockets deep enough to stock what the local area customers need and want.
2. Time to cater to individual customers, and the knowledge to go with the time.
An example is that I know a bit about A/C aircraft, and next to nothing about R/C cars.
3. Cost of help. This gets to be a biggie.
4. Cost of the storefront. A local area gentleman tried to start a hobby shop in the local metropolitan area.
Storefront cost was way out of line for any typical location, so he opened in a mini mall with cheap rent.
Unfortunately, after four break-ins to steal R/C cars and parts, he packed things up, and moved to a location outside the metro area.