Notices
Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

deja vu

Old 04-10-2011, 06:37 PM
ckangaroo70
My Feedback: (51)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default deja vu

Been awhile since I have been in the ole engine conversion forum. Many months ago I aquired a Sig Rascal 110 that had been crashed and the nose knocked off. When I rebuilt the nose of that plane I went ahead and made the firewall 2" shorter then stock and outfitted the plane with a Ryobi 31. The engine fit entirely inside the cowl and the plane flew great for what I used it for which was mainly parachute drops. Perhaps some of you have seen me running my Rascal 110 with the Ryobi on youtube. Anyhow.... I sold that plane last year and thought maybe that was the last Rascal I would own since they are now either discontinued or production seriously delayed. However as fate would have it I aquired another Rascal 110(the blue version this time) that had been wrecked with the exact same as damage as the last one I had. Basicly the nose is gone and the rest is fine. Since I was so happy with how the Ryobi conversion did on my other Rascal 110 I thought maybe I would do this one up the exact same way. Then I got to thinking since I have been away from the conversion forum for so long that maybe I had better at least check out what are the latest and greatest and most popular conversions folks are doing now. I see on fleabay that they are selling a Ryobi 30cc reconditioned string trimmer that has higher compression with the duel rings. However it does look like in the photo of it that the carb has moved to the side. I really liked the fact that the Ryobi 31 would fit entirely under the Rascal cowl with the rear carb, but just wanted to get some input from some of you folks since I have been out of the loop for awhile and thought you guys might have some better options I had not heard of. [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftASjepWrz4[/youtube]
Old 04-10-2011, 06:43 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: deja vu

The new Ryobi is more like a Homelite 30
Old 04-10-2011, 07:22 PM
ckangaroo70

ORIGINAL: w8ye

The new Ryobi is more like a Homelite 30
Is that a good thing or bad thing? I am not familiar with the homelite 30 either. People were still talking about the Homie 25's last time I was here chatting it up.
Old 04-10-2011, 09:27 PM
rangerfredbob
My Feedback: (13)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

the 30's have more potential than the 25 but with the same dimensions and slightly less weight.

not much new has come out, been somewhat quiet around here over the last couple years
Old 04-11-2011, 06:01 AM
spaceworm

ORIGINAL: ckangaroo70

Been awhile since I have been in the ole engine conversion forum. Many months ago I aquired a Sig Rascal 110 that had been crashed and the nose knocked off. When I rebuilt the nose of that plane I went ahead and made the firewall 2'' shorter then stock and outfitted the plane with a Ryobi 31. The engine fit entirely inside the cowl and the plane flew great for what I used it for which was mainly parachute drops. Perhaps some of you have seen me running my Rascal 110 with the Ryobi on youtube. Anyhow.... I sold that plane last year and thought maybe that was the last Rascal I would own since they are now either discontinued or production seriously delayed. However as fate would have it I aquired another Rascal 110(the blue version this time) that had been wrecked with the exact same as damage as the last one I had. Basicly the nose is gone and the rest is fine. Since I was so happy with how the Ryobi conversion did on my other Rascal 110 I thought maybe I would do this one up the exact same way. Then I got to thinking since I have been away from the conversion forum for so long that maybe I had better at least check out what are the latest and greatest and most popular conversions folks are doing now. I see on fleabay that they are selling a Ryobi 30cc reconditioned string trimmer that has higher compression with the duel rings. However it does look like in the photo of it that the carb has moved to the side. I really liked the fact that the Ryobi 31 would fit entirely under the Rascal cowl with the rear carb, but just wanted to get some input from some of you folks since I have been out of the loop for awhile and thought you guys might have some better options I had not heard of. [youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ftASjepWrz4[/youtube]

Sounds and looks great. How does she fly with that engine? Thanks.

Sincerely, Richard
Old 04-11-2011, 07:42 AM
ckangaroo70

Richard

It flew great with that engine and was real dependable. The plane got alot of compliments and the Ryobi string trimmer engine generated alot of interest especially among folks not familiar with flying RC. Like I said though...I sold the red Rascal 110 featured in the youtube video last year after doing a lot of flying with that plane. The one I have now is the blue version Rascal 110 and I have to rebuild the nose just like I did on the red one. I am just trying to be sure of what engine I will be using because I will rebuild the nose and set the firewall location based on the weight of the engine I plan to use. When I rebuilt the nose of the red one...I set the firewall back 2" from the stock location and the plane balanced perfect with the Ryobi 31. I love to tinker with conversion engines on the larger scale planes where they are practical to use like on the Rascal or Cubs, etc. Just wanted to check to see what options are available since I have been away from conversion discussions for quite awhile.
Old 04-11-2011, 10:10 AM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

The Homelite 30 is a good engine and has more power potential that the Ryobi 31cc engine, especially when modified. It is a bit lighter as well when fully trimmed. However, the neat thing about the Ryobi is as you mentioned; it is narrow and can fit in slim cowled airplanes without the muffler and carb sticking out the sides.

You liked the last one with the classic Ryobi, I would say go with one again. If you are looking for more power, there are some mods that can be done to the Ryobi to raise the power within reason. You just want to be sure to prop the Ryobi to turn no more than 7500 in a full throttle static runup.

AV8TOR
Old 04-11-2011, 01:01 PM
spaceworm

ORIGINAL: av8tor1977

... You just want to be sure to prop the Ryobi to turn no more than 7500 in a full throttle static runup.

AV8TOR

Or fit the engine with an improved connecting rod that will take the higher RPMs.

Sincerely, Richard
Old 04-11-2011, 01:45 PM
ckangaroo70

Yea...I am thinking I will go ahead and convert another 31cc Ryobi. Maybe this time I will spring for a Frank Bowman ring. I would have to go back and look at some of my old post, but I believe my last Ryobi was swinging an APC 18x6 around 7200 RPM and it may have had the potential to do even better with a walbro carb instead of the Zama, but I had no issues with the engine or the Zama carb and it ran so nice I just kinda left well enough alone because I wasn't really looking for the Rascal to be a hot rod......just a big gentle flyer I used to drop parachute guys from.
Old 04-11-2011, 02:39 PM
Ozpulse

You could always modify the oldryobi reed plate to into the back of the newer Homelite motor as I did here for a boat motor!

Old 04-11-2011, 03:51 PM
av8tor1977

Ozpulse, how does that one run? I have toyed with the idea of doing a reed valve Homelite 30, but with a better reed valve assembly. What differences do you notice with the reed valve? Slightly better low end, and better starting/idling characteristics? Did you lose much power?

ckangaroo70, The stock Ryobi has a restrictive muffler, a tiny carburetor, a poor ring setup, and sometimes very low exhaust port timing. Modify the stock muffler by taking out any and all baffling and making much larger outlet(s), or purchase a good aftermarket muffler. Put an 11mm Walbro two needle carb on it. Modify the ring pin in the piston to accomodate one of Frank Bowman's notched rings, and install a Frank Bowman ring. Check the exhaust port timing. You may find it as low as 120 degrees. Raise the exhaust port until you get a 150 degree exhaust duration. (Be sure to lightly chamfer the port edge afterwards.)

The other thing is if you can find one of the older cylinders without the "slits" in the cylinder ports, they are better.

You will be pleasantly surprised with the power you pick up from these mods. They are all proven and work. You will have to go to a larger prop to keep the static rpms down to 7500 rpms. If you want more static thrust, go to a 19 or 20" prop with a 6" pitch. If you want more speed, go to an 18 x 8 prop.

AV8TOR
Old 04-11-2011, 04:15 PM
ckangaroo70

av8tor1977

Thanks for the great tips. I forgot to mention that I did take the baffles out of my stock Ryobi muffler before and I also had all the fins removed from the flywheel. Not sure how much improvement that makes, but it does stand to reason that leaving the fins is additional drag and extra rotating mass that is not needed since you now have a prop and lots of air moving over the engine to help perform cooling duties.
Old 04-11-2011, 04:36 PM
Ozpulse

av8tor1977,
Although only bench running with no load and stock 'blower' muffler, I did back to back runs with the only change being from normal port fed to reed fed. Max rpm went from 13,400 to over 15,000! Seemed to rev a lot quicker and sounded 'cleaner' I will have to swap it all over to a longshaft lower end for testing with a prop to see if theres any real difference in overall performance while under load.
The motor is still sitting there waiting for a project, yes I have too many motors laying around!lol
Far too many!

Old 04-11-2011, 06:11 PM
av8tor1977

Interesting.... Keep me posted on that if you will.

Thanks,
AV8TOR
Old 04-11-2011, 06:20 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I'm still waiting to see someone adapt a DLE 30 reed plate to a Ryobi
Old 04-11-2011, 06:49 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: w8ye

I'm still waiting to see someone adapt a DLE 30 reed plate to a Ryobi
Me too !
Old 04-11-2011, 08:28 PM
av8tor1977

Yeah, yeah.... Too many ideas and not enough time!!

Besides, my Ryobi makes too much power for the stock rod as it is! Need to get after that upgraded rod project....

AV8TOR
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ay73274.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	107.3 KB
ID:	1592723   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ea84439.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	63.1 KB
ID:	1592724