Notices
Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

Zenoah G23L - Any Experience?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 06:18 AM
MSS999

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zenoah G23L - Any Experience?

I am thinking of getting a new G23L engine for conversion. Its used on Zenoah hedge trimmers and is available from a garden machinery shop for a good price.

It does not appear to be related to the G23 air engine - has a front flywheel etc. and a WYK carn which I will replace with a twin needle WT something.

Does anyone have experience of this particular engine as a conversion?

If so, how does is compare for power with a G23?

Thanks in advance.

MSS.
Old 07-14-2011, 06:37 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: Zenoah G23L - Any Experience?

Though some parts interchange, it is not made like the Zenoah 23 engine that is sold as a model airplane engine

http://www.davesmotors.com/s.nl/c.88...egory.27901/.f
Old 07-20-2011, 09:32 PM
mikenlapaz

Do I recall correctly; I thought there was a problem with one of the hedge trimmers having a reverse rotation that was causing problems with conversion several years ago. Just a caution if correct.
Old 07-20-2011, 10:40 PM
MSS999

Hi mikenlapaz,

Good call. I checked on the G23L and that rotates in the right direction.

But, I just picked up two engines from the local garden machinery shop that services my ride-on and other machines. They know about my love of engines and put aside anything that may be interest to me. One of the engines is a Zenoah 22 on a hendge trimmer that had been serviced but the customer never collected. The other is a Kawasaki TF 22 again from a hedge trimmer. Both really nice engines. But would you believe that they both rotate clockwise.

I've removed the casing from the TF22 so far. A really nice engine and lightweight engine. The magneto is mounted in the casing so would have to use EI. But with the excess metal trimmed off, it only weigh's 35 Oz without a muffler or igninition components. I think I will experiment using in a pusher configuration rotating clockwise for an airboat.

Thanks.

MSS.
Old 07-21-2011, 10:35 AM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I too have a Kawasaki TF-22 and it looks like it is going to make a very good engine. The shape of the fins even look like a model airplane engine. It has generously sized ports and I think is going to run very well. I haven't checked the port timing yet, but I think it is going to make a fine airplane engine. I bought a Frank Bowman ring for it and am anxious to get it running, but I blew a disk out in my back and probably won't be doing much of anything for a while.....[]

I also have a Zenoah 23cc from some sort of lawn equipment, (can't remember now what I took it off of.) I bought a "big bore kit" for it from Dave's Discount Motors and think it also will make a great engine. The kit will make it a 27cc if I remember correctly. They have other kits with crank, etc. that can get you up to 29cc, but I am not sure that they will fit the G-23 crankcase.

Have fun,
AV8TOR
Old 07-21-2011, 12:21 PM
av8tor1977

Something else about the Zenoah's from yard equipment. The newer ones are "strato-charged". I don't know of anyone that has experience with one of these on an airplane. I have one and I took it apart. The transfer ports are much smaller than a normal Zenoah because of the externally fitted strato charge setup. I decided it didn't look like a good candidate for conversion as I think it would have less power than a "normal" engine.

You can tell the strato charged engines by the plumbing elbows on the sides of the cylinder.

If anyone else has experience with one of these engines converted, please let us know.

AV8TOR
Old 07-21-2011, 12:55 PM
MSS999

Thanks for the info av8tor,

The other thing I would like to try on TF-22 at some stage is a mini pipe. As you say, the engine just looks so right for a model application.

I've read your posts about Echo engines over the years and it's clear that you like them a lot.

This week I treated myself to an Echo PB750PRO backpack blower that has a 64cc engine. Ran it yesterday and all I can say is WOW. Since yesterday the wife has asked me twice if I really needed a commercial class blower for the garden or is this just to have another engine in the inventory. Not sure where she got that idea.

Its fun time!

MSS.
Old 07-21-2011, 07:34 PM
av8tor1977

Hee, hee... Yes, I can understand her question, as I imagine all of us engine converters can. She should see my engine collection!!

AV8TOR