Notices
Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

Soverign SBC 28cc Strimmer Conversion

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2011, 12:24 PM
NSS

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Soverign SBC 28cc Strimmer Conversion

Some 2 years ago I aquired from eBay the following engine.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1dFaXY38Lg[/youtube]

My first conversion, and now I am on the lookout for more.

This is the result.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7hE5PTTIYRQ[/youtube]

Old 07-17-2011, 02:26 PM
Scota4570

Default RE: Soverign SBC 28cc Strimmer Conversion

Good job!

Suggestion?? Put a leash on on the airplane.

I have not worried about that much. Yesterday I had a close call. I built a Fokker D.VII and now have a 50cc chainsaw conversion. It does not fit in the hold downs at the club. I hate to bother folks about holding my airplanes. Until yesterday I just held it by the top wing and started it. It is against club rules but nobody ever bothered me about it.

I flew the Fokker. I flew a little edge 540. I forgot to set my TX back to the fokker. One or the other uses servo reversing. I started the fokker. It ran up full throttle. That is 22" of prop running 7000 rpm right in may face. Basically, a rotary lawnmower on it's side. Luckily I was able to carefully reach around and switch off the ignition. It is turning up 30+ pounds of thrust. IF I had slipped, it could have killed me.

Old 07-18-2011, 07:44 AM
NSS

A very valid point.

I would normally do that, but on this occasion you have cought me out.

Even on my .09 glo engines I would reatrain them in some way.

Old 07-21-2011, 01:06 PM
MSS999

Very nice. Are you using the standard carb or has it been changed? Also, have you measured the thrust?

We are practicall neighbours - I'm down the bootom of the A140 outside Needham Market.

If the engine's too loud, I enquired of westonUK this week about a mini pipe for a DLE30/Zenoah26 size engine. They will make the 30cc mini pipe can and header for £77. Although a small pipe may look a bit strange on your scale plane, if it means the difference between being able to fly at the field or not...

MSS.
Old 07-22-2011, 10:43 AM
NSS

The carb at the moment is the factory supplied one. There is lots of room for opening the inlet as it is currently only 7mm if I recall correctly. Looking at it, I think I can get another 3mm.

Since filming the 2nd video I have moved the exhaust outlet to the bottom, blanked off the side outlet and increased the outlet by 50%. This has given me an increase of 500rpm.

Still lots of scope for a few more rpm.

You must fly at Badly then if you live in that neck of the woods, yes?

I fly mainly at Eye airfild and have no noise concerns.

Kev
Old 09-02-2011, 10:14 AM
NSS

The maiden was yesterday.

1st take off attempt ended in a nose over. Prop survived.
2nd take off attempt resulted in the magnetic bushes grabbing and swallowing the entire plane. Prop survived.
3rd takeoff resulted in flight (just). Anyway I was not happy so Shaun took the sticks and trimmed her out a bit. Well a lot actually. Flew much better, but now had full down trim in. So a landing was called, and yes you guessed it. Nose over. Prop survived.

We made some changes to the wing incidence. I have some pictures which I will post in a while showing the "technical adjustments".

4th takeoff resulted in flight. However within the space of 10 seconds and 100sq yards I had performed a complete IMAC schedule. I was convinced I had binned it and heard Shaun say " do you want me to take it", but at this point it was in for a penny in for a pound. Got it all under control and had a reasonable flight with minor trim adjustments apart from me thinking it was dragging its tail around! Of course I was flying at low throttle and it was on the edge of a stall. Landed, a bit short on the concrete perry track and just kissed the edge of the grass. Nosed over. Prop survived.
We made a few further adjustments to the struts and went for it again
5th flight, Shaun took off to show me how it should be done. Shaun then proceeded to give my an heart attack. Not 100% sure what happened but a tip stall I think, had it heading to terafirma with very little height. Nose down pull back gently and Shaun pulled of a fantastic save with probably only a foot to spare. After that little drama I took the sticks back and all in all a much better flight was had, Landed, Prop survived.
6th take off. Much much better. Flew well with all niggles sorted out and all surfaces centred on the trims.
Called a landing. Greased it.....let the elevator come up before the roll had stopped nosed over. Prop broke. What a berk I am.

I think that's how it all went. Shaun feel free to add your recollections.

Notes:
Power with the converted strimmer engine (28cc) is marginal for take off. Otherwise flew it in a very scale like manor.
Maybe try an 18*6 prop, currently has an 18*8.
Do not let the tail come back up on the landing roll out. Might save a prop or two.

Kev
Old 09-02-2011, 07:53 PM
rangerfredbob
My Feedback: (13)

Sounds like a day!

with a stock weedie engine of 28cc I would imagine you would be better off with a 18x6 or 16x8 prop. My modified McCulloch 32cc likes the 18x6 over the 18x8 although it turns either fine.