Notices
Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

flywheel balance

Old 06-29-2014, 12:16 PM
tacx
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default flywheel balance

I am converting a ryobi 25.4 cc. I have a question regarding the flywheel.

Is the flywheel, with the magnito magnets in it, supposed to be balanced? Or, are they out of balance to compensate for something else in the engine?

I failed to check before removing the fins.

Thanks

Tom

Last edited by tacx; 06-29-2014 at 12:39 PM.
Old 06-29-2014, 12:49 PM
tacx
My Feedback: (1)

Well after reading the sticky at the beginning of the forum I found my answer. It needs to be balanced.
Old 07-01-2014, 01:55 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

How do you balance the flywheels? Thanks
Old 07-02-2014, 02:51 AM
bluejets

For a single cylinder, it involves weighing piston and rod complete with a balance scale on each end.

Then add each and take an average.

The average is then added to opposite side of the crank from the piston/rod.( If my memory serves me correctly)

If it is a full crank as some are to decrease lower end volume for compression purposes, then balancing is done externally on the flywheel.(not as good as it introduces weird lateral forces)

There must also be allowance make for the magneto magnet weight and counter balance for this also.

All in all, a little confusing for some as this is also static balance and can be hit and miss as the balance will mostly be for a certain rev range.
Old 07-05-2014, 08:21 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Careful here... Some of the older Ryobi engines had a flywheel that was not "zero" balanced. The flywheel was weighted to help with the engine balance. However, most Ryobi engines have a zero balanced flywheel that you can balance on a heavy duty prop balancer such as the Du-Bro unit. Search through my older posts on Ryobis for more info.

AV8TOR
Old 07-06-2014, 03:56 AM
bluejets

Yes, That's what I was referring to when I said....

"If it is a full crank as some are to decrease lower end volume for compression purposes, then balancing is done externally on the flywheel.(not as good as it introduces weird lateral forces)

There must also be allowance make for the magneto magnet weight and counter balance for this also."