Notices
Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

CDI gr8flyer55

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 07:51 AM
Gompy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: CDI gr8flyer55

2 stroke start at 5 degrees BTDC for easystart and go back to 28 degrees when the engine runs (100 rpm ?).
When the engine runs, the timing go back to (race engines) 5 degrees BTDC but I think this engines to 15 or 20 degrees BTDC with full trottle.
4 stroke start also at 5 degrees BTDC but building up the degrees to 20 degrees or more BTDC if the engine runs full trottle.

BTW, If the flashlight is working I will post as allways the schematics and pcb's.
Old 10-24-2012, 07:59 AM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: Gompy

There is, use the SCR output from the PIC.
I was work on it, but you send me the CDI boards so I have to stop with the flashlights.......your fault

I was just into town to buy some new SCR to use the strobe flashlight with Xenontube.
When I test the first desgne, I forgot the Voltage is turn backwards when the light flash.
The SCR don't like it and blowup, now I'allmost done with it, only findout the switching points wothout disturbe the CDI.
Gompy...is this a good place to get this kind of thing

http://www.microchipdirect.com/NewPr...ltree&TreeID=6
Old 10-24-2012, 08:25 AM
gr8flyer55

Rob, if I use Nyemi's 683 chip and the RCexl curve in it on my 4 stroke, the engine runs great, not so good with Jake's software though, even if I program the same basic straight line curve Nyemi's software uses, something is different.

John
Old 10-24-2012, 08:32 AM
Gompy

In old 4 stroke cars there was a vacume pump.
This vacume pump move the points to early ignition.
So the ignition wil be sooner then normal, say normal 20 degrees.
Sooner wil mean more degrees befor TDC, say 30 degrees BTDC.......NOT less till TDC.
If you program a straight curve, the engine will run also....if you gane somewhere around the 25 degreed BTDC.

BTW, the differend between Neymi and Jake can be the way they calculate the position on the time table.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:39 PM
Gompy

The winner lives a cross the street where I live in 1980, thats why I know something about tuning.
We both drive Kreidler, with the differens.....he was running a race bike (24hp) and I a street bike(9hp).
We live about 10 km away from eache other, but he don't do anything with small bikes anymore []

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZrZboBF8ME[/youtube]

BTW, you can set subtitle to English.
Old 10-24-2012, 01:34 PM
COM

Anyone experimenting with 4 stroke curves at all

I do all my testing on a 4 cycle engine and the standard curves work great.
Old 10-24-2012, 02:38 PM
gr8flyer55

The only way I can run my OS 61 4 stroke is with either Nyemi's curve or a true Syncro Spark module. Tried basically the same curve in Jake's and at about 3,000 rpm it backfires and the prop flies off. Not good or fun either! I am getting good at ducking flying props however. Lol

John
Old 10-24-2012, 03:12 PM
Nav-Aids

Help! Is the "static void interrupt isr(void)" routine called or is it just likean event handler? I can't remember how interrupts are handled in'C'but I'm sure it is just like an event handler or interrupt handler in asm.

Ray
Old 10-24-2012, 08:52 PM
jakestew

"static void interrupt isr(void)" is the interrupt service routine. It is called whenever an enabled interrupt is generated.

Once it is called it will service one interrupt flag since I'm using an if/elseif structure. Everything happens in the ISR since the program is interrupt driven. The main loop just checks the kill and table switch pins, and services them if needed.

-Jake
Old 10-24-2012, 09:08 PM
Nav-Aids

Thanks Jake, so it works just like I thought, create a function with the interupts name and add the logic. I started geting into PIC programming a few years ago but, got side tracked by life. It's amazing how fast 'C' programming comes back, I just have to fill in a few holes.

Ray
Old 10-25-2012, 12:40 AM
nobitaemon

Hi,
If anyone can help me.
I want to make use ATmega8 Programmable CDI
and the C language.
Thank you,
Old 10-25-2012, 12:58 AM
diy-pro

.<pre style="line-height: 17px; white-space: normal; color: rgb(42, 42, 42); font-size: 13px; ">
http://www.ebay.com/itm/271087058436...84.m1555.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271087060641...84.m1555.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271087063695...84.m1555.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271087067925...84.m1555.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271087071975...84.m1555.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271087054041...84.m1555.l2649</pre>
Old 10-25-2012, 01:03 AM
COM

John,

Where do you have your inital timing set at?
Old 10-25-2012, 03:00 AM
gr8flyer55

Charlie, I set all my engines @ 28 degrees BTDC. I think I know why I have the prop problem with the 4 stroke now. Nyemi's fires after magnet leaves sensor and Jake's is set for approach. That gives it a few degrees too much advance on my 4 stroke. I knew I'd figure it out eventually. Will try reducing it to about 25 and see what happens. Not as easy on the OS since I have a disc behind the prop drive washer and have to remove it to reset timing.

John
Old 10-25-2012, 07:31 AM
Nav-Aids

Jake I finished reading up about the 'GIE' and the 'ISR' and have a clearer picture of things. Hopefully soon I will be able to help you with the coding, proofing, and debugging. I downloaded the 12F1840 code but haven't looked at it yet but, the 1840 sure has a lot more bells and whistles.

Ray
Old 10-25-2012, 07:53 AM
Gompy

ORIGINAL: Nav-Aids

Jake I finished reading up about the 'GIE' and the 'ISR' and have a clearer picture of things. Hopefully soon I will be able to help you with the coding, proofing, and debugging. I downloaded the 12F1840 code but haven't looked at it yet but, the 1840 sure has a lot more bells and whistles.

Ray
We don't have forget why we use the CDI for.
A plane don't use two tables, a boat can also do without it, maybe a RC-car with two gears, but then you need a switch over.....when ?
I think it's better to optimize the CDI, faster PIC and communication over USB or TX/RX, but only the things we need.
Not using tables, but realtime calculation from the ignitiontime.
Realtime communication to show ignition angle, rotation and dyno information of the engine.

Everybody know how much time I (we) spent to get thoose things as above.
Now we have (allmost) a real good working CDI-program, a small battle between Nyemi and Jake's program, but don't make bells and whistles please.

First try real communication between a laptop/pc and the CDI, so we can see wat we are doing.
Drop the tables and make realtime timing possible.
Make it possible to change on the fly without flashing the PIC.

After 8 or 10 years on the forum and bussy with CDI I think I know wat usfull is and not.
Again, only positive critic and no attack to Jake or Nyemi.....I love both guys !!!
I can't program, but as a professional user I know wat (I) they want
Old 10-25-2012, 07:55 AM
Gompy

Wat went wrong....two postings ??
Old 10-25-2012, 09:03 AM
Nav-Aids

We don't have forget why we use the CDI for.
A plane don't use two tables, a boat can also do without it, maybe a RC-car with two gears, but then you need a switch over.....when ?
I think it's better to optimize the CDI, faster PIC and communication over USB or TX/RX, but only the things we need.
Not using tables, but realtime calculation from the ignitiontime.
Realtime communication to show ignition angle, rotation and dyno information of the engine.

Everybody know how much time I (we) spent to get thoose things as above.
Now we have (allmost) a real good working CDI-program, a small battle between Nyemi and Jake's program, but don't make bells and whistles please.
I know what you mean Rob, I own afamily runcompany and we make OEM type equipment for local companies but, yes we have to make sure that the core CDI unit works,is stable, and universal. As for bells and whistles, I was referring to the chip more than features that could be put into the program. Features are something for down the road later on.

First try real communication between a laptop/pc and the CDI, so we can see wat we are doing.
I really like that idea, instant feedback can be a invaluable.

Drop the tables and make realtime timing possible.
Make it possible to change on the fly without flashing the PIC.
Do you mean, automatic timing adjust using something like an EGT for feedback? It is possible, I hope to make a standalone unit this winter for a friend of mine. The unit I'm making is for in-flight mixture control but, it could be altered for ignition. But you would still need a base-line table loaded into the PIC.

After 8 or 10 years on the forum and bussy with CDI I think I know wat usfull is and not.
Again, only positive critic and no attack to Jake or Nyemi.....I love both guys !!!
I can't program, but as a professional user I know wat (I) they want
I haven't seen Nyemi's program/code yet so I have no comment on it and I would never attack Jake or Nyemi unless they attack first. As for both oftheir programs, I have no intention of taking over their work and before I offer any permanent changes I will discuss it with them first for it is their work. I will offer my opinions because this is what this forum is for, and hopefully I can offer something useful. One of the biggest problems I have is end users that don't know what they want. I have 3 certified skills (Mechanic,Navigational Aids Tech, and Computer Programmer/Analyst)so I must be able to offer something. I don't know what this smilely means but it looks happy.

Ray
Old 10-25-2012, 10:15 AM
Gompy

The programs and hardware we made can communicate realtime with the PIC.
http://www.electronics.gompy.net/cdi/index.html
You can change on the fly the ignition values and monitor the engine.
But there was a problems with the program into the PIC.
Sometimes there was a kickback or the timing was wrong.
But thats wat we have see into the programs from Jake and Nyemi too.

The programmer don't have a engine to test.
He was / is not a RC-man and have do everything with simulators.
But if I say befor and others have say it too into this topic, you can't do all into simulators.

The programmer and I life to far away from each other to help him with real hardware.
So the project stopped, but the PIC- and PCprogram was exactly wat I discribe.
Thats also why I hope Jake or Nyemi can / will finish the programs we start.
I don't have any source code, the programmer make the project free so it was his ownership.

If we want to play, we must help each other, not hide it and raid your hobbypartner.
Now we can all take a look into the source code and find the fault / error, or can tninking about the solution.
I'm a fighter for opensource, thats also why you can find anything on my website, I don't have secrects.
Our hobby cost a lot of money and anything with hobby on it cost double or tripple the money.
Old 10-25-2012, 10:16 AM
nyemi

Hi Gompy
I thank you for your trust.
I give you something.
Solution to the problem.
I modified , Jake code.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ec87235.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	32.5 KB
ID:	1814536  
Attached Files
File Type: txt
Nk27860.txt (15.6 KB, 56 views)
Old 10-25-2012, 10:38 AM
Gompy

I think my engine is allready running with your PIC-software.
It's raining I don't want to test and modify the PIC for this moment.
I don't have even the Exelsheet to rewrite the curve.
I think I can speak for all, we hope you and Jake can make the ultimate CDI program.

The hardware is a other isue, I'm intrested in a littlebit bigger CDI then the one who use it for RC.
If some toy stops, there is no problem, but if my bike stops I have a long way to go......by feet !
Old 10-25-2012, 11:01 AM
nyemi

I put three commands in the code.
INTCONbits.INTF = 0; //
INTCONbits.INTE = 0; //
INTCONbits.INTF = 1; //
I found it hard to figure out which location.
Therefore, this Beta version.
I'm still working on it.
We need to examine all the possibilities.

Old 10-25-2012, 01:25 PM
COM

Nyemi,

I like your example of the tree and the elf sitting on the branch cutting it. that gave me a good laugh.
Old 10-26-2012, 02:34 AM
COM

So from the pic that you posted Nyemi, is Jake's code the Saw?
Old 10-26-2012, 03:13 AM
bluejets

I think my engine is allready running with your PIC-software.
It's raining I don't want to test and modify the PIC for this moment.
I don't have even the Exelsheet to rewrite the curve.
I think I can speak for all, we hope you and Jake can make the ultimate CDI program.

The hardware is a other isue, I'm intrested in a littlebit bigger CDI then the one who use it for RC.
If some toy stops, there is no problem, but if my bike stops I have a long way to go......by feet !
Rob,
Good reading here ...old one but still ok...... http://www.not2fast.com/ignition/cap-dis-ignit-cdi.pdf

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.