Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Engine Conversions
Reload this Page >

Suggestions please : regarding conversion from glow to gas

Community
Search
Notices
Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

Suggestions please : regarding conversion from glow to gas

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2017, 09:57 PM
MODEL MFG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Suggestions please : regarding conversion from glow to gas

Hi,
I have 2 nitro/glow engines: ASP 0.52 2stroke & OS 0.91 2stroke, wish to convert it to gas/petrol. I got link of just engines, they sell : Single ignition for glow plug thread + glow plug thread spark plug + 4mm magnet as conversion kit.
My questions is will it work with 2 stroke 0.52 asp & 0.91 os. Does anyone tried it. Is there any problem in tuning, idle, rpm, torque & power. Your valuable experience, suggestions is helpful for me. Shall I go for conversion or not. Please give your opinions about it.
Old 08-07-2017, 03:19 AM
AA5BY

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There has not been much effort given to converting small 2 stroke glow engines to gas. One person who has been exploring doing so is Brutus (Bert), from the Netherlands, and he can be found over on RC Groups in the engine forum there.

There has been more effort given to converting larger four strokes.

There of course has been commercial activity into the world of smaller 2 stroke gas engines with fuel delivery at the center of those efforts.

Conversions generally see a reduction of 10-20% of power, much more sensitive fuel mixture controlling, and some additional heat.

My take is that converting a small 2 stroke to gas would be mostly and effort to explore the doing rather than for obtaining a reliable small gas engine for flight. Four stroke conversions are bit different, they have proven to be reasonably successful and done less for exploration and more often to obtain a desired sound quality for some specific air frame.

Last edited by AA5BY; 08-07-2017 at 03:33 AM.
Old 08-07-2017, 08:15 AM
hsukaria

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The conversion to spark ignition is a side issue when going to gas. The main challenges are the carburation and combustion chamber changes required.
Old 08-07-2017, 03:17 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To answer you briefly, I generally just don't recemmend it. I do have a Super Tiger .90 that I converted to gasoline and ignition and I enjoy it. However, I converted it to a Walbro gasoline carb, converted the crankshaft and connecting rod to roller bearings, and I watch the heat factor like a hawk. This is a quite expensive proposition unless you can do all the machining yourself, and really, for what reason?

All in all, better to buy a factory designed and built gasoline engine. If one is stuck on the idea, I suggest converting to ignition and methanol instead of gas, and using the original oil ratio for the engine. This to me, is a more logical/feasible idea, and how I personally am doing my next conversion of a glow engine. Methanol can be purchased at auto or go kart speed shops or race tracks for around 4 bucks a gallon. With Methanol, your glow carb will work fine, though if you want the advantage of a Walbro carb, a WT-499 Walbro is calibrated for Methanol, and is suitable for 20 to 30cc engines. (An engine uses double the Methanol than it would gasoline, hence the need for properly calibrated carbs. Glow carbs generally don't work well using gasoline for this reason.)

AV8TOR

Last edited by av8tor1977; 08-07-2017 at 03:26 PM.