Notices
Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

Craftsman 2.4 ci conversion

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2012, 07:40 PM
gr8flyer55

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Craftsman 2.4 ci conversion

Trying a Craftsman 2.4 cu. inch saw conversion.
Has anyone converted one of these saw engines? Seems like a lot of cutting to get the integrated gas & oil tank separated from the main crankcase. Engine has great compression and ran strong or I wouldn't have attempted this conversion. Since it only had one problem, the reed block was warped and leaking, I ordered a new part at Sears. Looking like it might be easier to split the case and then cut it apart. Anyone do it this way?

John
Old 01-16-2012, 10:12 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Craftsman 2.4 ci conversion

I always do it that way when converting a chain saw. It is much easier to take it all apart and then do the cutting. Tape up the bearings though, and then give them a good cleaning and blow them out with air when you are ready to put it back together.

AV8TOR
Old 01-16-2012, 10:37 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

It's a 40cc Poulan.

Some of the former Brillelli early chainsaw conversions were based on this engine
Old 01-17-2012, 06:47 AM
gr8flyer55

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well it sounds as if this one was worth acquiring since it was basically free except for the $14 part I bought at Sears for it.
I will take it apart then to start the trimming. Most likely will have to use the case bolts as a base for standoff mounting points. Converting this to my CDI should turn this one into a *****cat for starting since it was kicking back really hard against the original pull start if you tried to pull it thru slowly.

By the way, BlueJets and I have been working together perfecting the advance curves for my autoadvance timer portion of my CDI. We can now change the curve to anything we want by using an Excel sheet to do calculations. He has successfully made a great working curve and wrote up a few instructional how to's on this. It will be posted on my thread shortly with a new sample curve which I have tested. He tested on an old finicky OS 40 2 stroke and it is working. Completed, tested timer boards will be available thru me with preprogrammed PIC chip, ready for connectors of your choice, to update mechanical advance engines.

I'll post pictures of this engine shortly for suggestions in conversion.

John