Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

E85 in the OS Bio-Ethanol engines

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2012, 10:03 PM
DaveR
My Feedback: (7)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default E85 in the OS Bio-Ethanol engines

Has anybody given any thought to running E85 in one of those OS Bio-Ethanol engines? I know they were only "released" in Japan, but with the internet, they are not hard to buy. I am almost tempted to buy one as an experiment, and try running E85 after adding some Klotz Super, or some other oil package. Now OS wants the owners to run bigger props than normal, more like what one would do if you were to dieselize them. Anyway, there are some clever guys on this forum and I was just curious if these had gotten anyone's attention.
Old 01-26-2012, 04:22 AM
mvarzoni

Default RE: E85 in the OS Bio-Ethanol engines

DaveR,

I live in Brazil and the OS-BE fuel is made here and exported to Japan.
The BE engines are available in Brazil on almost every HS.
I had one OS 55-be, all I can say is that the engine has a little less power than the Glow version.
Just remember to buy several extra glow plugs, since the BE version has a diferent thread on the plugs, it is larger.
I have seen some guys on the hot regions using hydrated Ethanol, wich mean 94% Ethanol and 6% water and the engine runs ok.
Therefore, I believe your E85 fuel might work perfect.

Thank you.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:51 AM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Clarence Lee the engine guy from the magazines asked OS if the engine could be run on other oils than that special OS oil and was told no. That could be a "sales" thing though....

OS would like you to believe it is a combination of the special oil and the special glow plug that allows it to run on gasoline. Does anyone know if that is literally true?

Oh well, the engine is $1100.00 according to Lee, and the oil is 39 bucks for enough to treat only four gallons of fuel. NOT for me...

AV8TOR
Old 01-26-2012, 07:26 PM
DaveR

The engines are not $1100. On the other auction site now, the 75ax is 319.99 and the 120ax is 369.99. I'm sure the 55ax will be even less. I cannot speak to the oil. I can't fathom what sort of oil it "requires" that costs $39 to treat 4 gallons. The glow plugs are sized different, so you have to get the BE-3 plug.
Old 01-26-2012, 08:17 PM
gkamysz
My Feedback: (19)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He's thinking of the Enya Gasoline glow plug engine.

It's been done with E85 and regular hot glowplugs. Just get several plugs and try, even four stroke plugs in a two stroke. Good luck. They don't import the BE engines to the US. I thought the oil in OS bioethanol fuel was castor, but maybe it's some synthetic.
Old 01-27-2012, 10:03 AM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yep, my mistake. I was thinking of the new Enya engine that runs on gasoline with a glow plug.

I get the feeling that the OS engines for ethanol aren't working out so well.

AV8TOR
Old 01-27-2012, 09:59 PM
DaveR

I have no idea if the OS's work well or not, just thought they might be usable with E85 since they are set up to run ethanol. Not as ideal as running gas like the Enya, but E85 is readily available where I live and still cost much less than glow.