Notices
Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

can you say good bye walbro??

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-2012, 07:57 PM
Maximiliano Galvez

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default can you say good bye walbro??

Do you have imagine using your original original nitro carb , making work it as or better than a walbro carb ??

What do you think about can convert any small nitro engines where a walbro kind carbs is not practical??

Im interested in your opinion
regards
max

Old 04-02-2012, 01:54 AM
SrTelemaster150

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: can you say good bye walbro??

ORIGINAL: Maximiliano Galvez

Do you have imagine using your original original nitro carb , making work it as or better than a walbro carb ??

What do you think about can convert any small nitro engines where a walbro kind carbs is not practical??

regards
max

Well, I've been trying to get information from STengines about their pump/regulator that they say will work W/my glow carburetor in place of the Walbro for gas conversion on my Saito 4-strokes.

I did get a response from my initial e-mail but it only had a little information, no ordering instructions & only a brief discription & pricing.

I have sent 2 more e-mails & so far I have not received any more information, just a response W/a promise to contact me W/the information that was never kept.

My opinion is that this pump/regulator, or even just the regulator would be a GREAT thing to try but if they can't improve their communication & get me the information I ask for, what is it going to be like when I put down my hard earned $$$? Will they be able to deliver the product?
Old 04-02-2012, 02:05 AM
bogbeagle

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I've been using Walbro carbs in conjunction with the ordinary glow carb, for some time, now.

You can see one being tested here ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KXhW...6&feature=plcp So, I'm using the Walbro as both pump and regulator, to provide a consistent fuel supply to the ordinary glow carb.

I haven't tried fitting the Walbro direct to an engine, though. I was toying with the idea last week, actually, but didn't get round to it.
Old 04-02-2012, 03:34 AM
SrTelemaster150

ORIGINAL: bogbeagle

I've been using Walbro carbs in conjunction with the ordinary glow carb, for some time, now.

You can see one being tested here ... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KXhW...6&feature=plcp So, I'm using the Walbro as both pump and regulator, to provide a consistent fuel supply to the ordinary glow carb.

I haven't tried fitting the Walbro direct to an engine, though. I was toying with the idea last week, actually, but didn't get round to it.

I tried the skunkwerks.eu link in the video & it would not open.
Old 04-02-2012, 04:28 AM
bogbeagle

ORIGINAL: SrTelemaster150

I tried the skunkwerks.eu link in the video & it would not open.
[/quote]

No, that website is dead.

There are a few places, on the internet, which describe the basics of converting the Walbro for use with glow engines.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:22 AM
SrTelemaster150

There are a few places, on the internet, which describe the basics of converting the Walbro for use with glow engines.

That's not the point. That is a very common conversion. I want to use the standard glow carburetors & utilize a pump/regulator & THAT is not readily available.

Anyway, using an entire, heavy, cumbersome Walbro just for the pump/regulator is kinda lame anyway. I thought that if I could see the set-up, perhaps I could use some of the carb componets instead of the entire carb.

I just bought 3 ZAMA replacements for the Walbro WT 456 for less tha $16 each on e-bay & will have no problem adapting them to my Saito FA 150s & FA180. It's my smaller Saito FA 91 & the dual carb Saito 300 TTDP that need a smaller less cumbersome pump/regulator to utilize the glow carbs.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:33 AM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I have a Saito 150 with RCEXL ignition and the original carb on gasoline.

It runs pretty nice at idle and at full throttle but there is a spot in the mid range that is very rich.

I attribute this phenomena to the different air-fuel ratio of isotropic combustion between methanol and gasoline.

There needs to be a different cam curve in the throttle barrel?
Old 04-02-2012, 05:50 AM
bogbeagle

Now, I experimented with an RCExcel unit and an Enya .60... standard glow carb.

Try as I might, I could not get a satisfactory performance.

Over many hours, I compared the spark ignition with the glow ignition (augmented by low-speed glow driver). I came to the conclusion that the reliability, throttling and power were superior, when using the glow version. Might have been a different story if I'd converted the engine to accept a Walbro, but I was investigating the marketing claims that it was easy to convert a glow engine to spark ignition ... with the implication that the converted engine would be superior to the standard engine.

Interestingly, none of the British RC mags would touch my work, in one case citing a conflict of interest between the findings and the mag's advertisers.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:51 AM
SrTelemaster150

ORIGINAL: w8ye

I have a Saito 150 with RCEXL ignition and the original carb on gasoline.

It runs pretty nice at idle and at full throttle but there is a spot in the mid range that is very rich.

I attribute this phenomena to the different air-fuel ratio of isotropic combustion between methanol and gasoline.

There needs to be a different cam curve in the throttle barrel?
I tried my FA 150 on E85 & it ran good, (7500 RPM W/Dynathrust 18X8 & 1400 RPM reliable idle) but the transition was similar to what you experienced & it was way to sensitive to needle valve adjustment & required too much fiddling for even slightly different conditions.

I'm thinking a pressure regulator & a more gradual taper on the glow carb needle valve would make it much more user friendly.
Old 04-02-2012, 05:57 AM
SrTelemaster150

Now, I experimented with an RCExcel unit and an Enya .60... standard glow carb.

Try as I might, I could not get a satisfactory performance.

Over many hours, I compared the spark ignition with the glow ignition (augmented by low-speed glow driver). I came to the conclusion that the reliability, throttling and power were superior, when using the glow version. Might have been a different story if I'd converted the engine to accept a Walbro, but I was investigating the marketing claims that it was easy to convert a glow engine to spark ignition ... with the implication that the converted engine would be superior to the standard engine.

Interestingly, none of the British RC mags would touch my work, in one case citing a conflict of interest between the findings and the mag's advertisers.
That's just the opposite of my experience W/C&H EI on my Saito FA 150 W/the glow carb, 150 more RPM on top (7850) 300 RPM less for reliable idle (1400) & 23% longer run time on 16oz of fuel. All this W/a Dynathrust 18X8 on 15% Cool Power.
Old 04-02-2012, 07:29 AM
tkg
My Feedback: (1)

Running the glow carb on gas can be made to work if you have a great deal of patience. You first need a constant fuel pressure. The Kline or IronBay regulators were the best, but I don't know if they are still being made.
After a constant fuel source, then you can adjust the carb for a proper low and high setting., be warned it will be very sensitive. If you get this right the engine will run OK at idle and WOT, but will be very rich in the mid range.
What you have to do is remove the throttle barrel form the carb and fill the grove that moves the barrel in and out to make the mix richer at WOT. Then you machine a new grove in it that has EXPO in it. That way you can lean out the mid range. Its just trial and error so be prepared to spent a lot of time on the first one.
Old 04-02-2012, 08:36 AM
pe reivers

Some 12 years or so back I have experimented with a Walbro as pump/regulator on a Supertigre glow engine with standard glow carb. It worked extremely well.
I published my results at http://prme.nl/home/regulated_fuelsupply/todo.html
 including instructions how to.
Old 04-02-2012, 10:52 AM
Patxipt

Here's a video of one of my engines on a cut pump-regulator from a walbro carb

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jjYAX3HhBw
Old 04-02-2012, 11:22 AM
bogbeagle

Pe Reivers,

I came across your work several years' back... it inspired me to investigate the Walbro for myself. I didn't realise, until today, that the Super Tigre conversion was done by you.

Thanks very much.

I'm currently running a Walbro in conjunction with a normally-aspirated YS 1.20, in an airframe which has a "difficult" installation.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:32 PM
pe reivers

You should place the regulator part as close to the carb as feasable. Also needed is exhaust pressure to the regulating membrane in order to get load depending fuel injection. It then also allows you to choke the engine by closing the exhaust stinger.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:35 PM
pe reivers

Thanks. It did work very well for me, and several Kiwi aerobatics fliers that were disappointed with the Cline regulator. I then moved on to other pastures.

Pe Reivers,

I came across your work several years' back... it inspired me to investigate the Walbro for myself. I didn't realise, until today, that the Super Tigre conversion was done by you.

Thanks very much.

I'm currently running a Walbro in conjunction with a normally-aspirated YS 1.20, in an airframe which has a "difficult" installation.
Old 04-02-2012, 12:45 PM
SrTelemaster150

ORIGINAL: Patxipt

Now I like that idea, cutting off the unnecessary parts.

Could the regulator only from a ZAMA carburetor be used W/some sort of tank pressure?
Old 04-02-2012, 02:47 PM
Maximiliano Galvez

ORIGINAL: Maximiliano Galvez

regards
max

Well, I've been trying to get information from STengines about their pump/regulator that they say will work W/my glow carburetor in place of the Walbro for gas conversion on my Saito 4-strokes.

I did get a response from my initial e-mail but it only had a little information, no ordering instructions & only a brief discription & pricing.

I have sent 2 more e-mails & so far I have not received any more information, just a response W/a promise to contact me W/the information that was never kept.

My opinion is that this pump/regulator, or even just the regulator would be a GREAT thing to try but if they can't improve their communication & get me the information I ask for, what is it going to be like when I put down my hard earned $$$? Will they be able to deliver the product?

Information is ready so sorry about late response but we have to be secure of our product works nice
regards
Old 04-02-2012, 02:52 PM
Maximiliano Galvez

Ok 2 years ago I make my firts test in a saito 220, using a 4 strokes walbro carburetor, i cut it and use anly pump.

As all 4 srtokes walbro carburetors I use the pump conecter to the engine intake.

At this time I began to find a better way instead to cut a walbro carb 2 years of test.

One interesting is one of most of you know, the way I use a standar walbro in 4 strokes with no walbro modification, with no use pump conected to intake. It works nice, but the small engine space and weight problem remain. I take 2 years to develope the system.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:03 AM
Scota4570

Perry carbs and pumps? Intuitively I would think this might be a good option especially for 4-strokes. They make a gas compatable pump that runs off the vibrations of the engine as well as the ones that run off a pulse line. The carbs come in many sizes. The prices are reasonable.
Old 04-03-2012, 07:28 AM
pe reivers

Yes, that would also work. Pressurize the tank off the crankcase pressure withe one way valve. and use muffler pressure on the regulating diaphragm.

ORIGINAL: Patxipt

Now I like that idea, cutting off the unnecessary parts.

Could the regulator only from a ZAMA carburetor be used W/some sort of tank pressure?
Old 04-03-2012, 12:28 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

With the characteristic midrange richness when using a glow carb for gasoline will still be a problem in spite of Perry pumps and Kline - Iron Bay regulators
Old 04-03-2012, 01:20 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

A little bit off topic, but I have been making little smoke oil pumps out of Walbro carbs for years. One of these puts out plenty of volume to make nice smoke on my 50cc twins.

Here's a couple of pics of one, alongside the big heavy Mikuni pump that B & B sells for their smoke systems.

(Walbro actually sells a little pump very similar to this. I think it is for use on go karts.)

AV8TOR
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Lj23711.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	70.2 KB
ID:	1746387   Click image for larger version

Name:	So42893.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	1746388  
Old 04-03-2012, 02:53 PM
bogbeagle

What an excellent idea.

I don't use smoke, myself, but I like the cut of your jib.
Old 04-03-2012, 04:26 PM
SrTelemaster150

ORIGINAL: w8ye

With the characteristic midrange richness when using a glow carb for gasoline will still be a problem in spite of Perry pumps and Kline - Iron Bay regulators

I didn't seem to have the midrange problem W/E85. Perhaps the larger volume requirement of the ethanol alleviated that problem. I have 3 ZAMA C1Q P8 8YA carburetors that I bought on e-bay. 1 for $15.99 the other 2 for $14.99 all shipped free. Since I have so little in them, sawing 1 in half to make a regulator is an option I am willing to try.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.