Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

Accesory for aluminum grinding

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2012, 07:47 AM
oddy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Accesory for aluminum grinding

Hello Everyone,

Could someone please share wich accesorie you use in your Rotary tool to grind aluminum when converting your engines.

In advance thank you very much

Any pic or link would be very much appreciated

Regards
VĂ*ctor.
Old 09-13-2012, 08:11 AM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Accesory for aluminum grinding

Hack saws and files mostly. You can't use grinding stones as the stones get clogged up with the aluminum. A four inch side grinder with a grinding wheel works pretty good for roughing out your cuts. Then I use a Dremel tool with a sanding drum to clean up the cuts after that. If you have an air compressor or access to one, a die grinder with a carbide cutter in it works well.

Both the four inch grinder and the die grinder can be had very cheap at Harbor Freight, but I don't know if you can get them shipped to you in Ciudad Mexico.... ?En las tiangues? (swap meets)

AV8TOR
Old 09-13-2012, 06:38 PM
Scota4570

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Accesory for aluminum grinding

90% of the time I use a 6" sanding disk with 60-100 grit paper. For roughing I use a hacksaw, bandsaw or even bolt cutters. Be careful of magnesium parts. The sanding dust is extremely flammable, when you work on steel the sparks will light off the magnesium dust.