Search
Notices
Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

My New Gasser With Toro 25cc (Pics)

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2012, 06:15 AM
oddy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My New Gasser With Toro 25cc (Pics)

Hello everyone,

Just wanted to share my new plane with a converted Toto 1bbl engine. It has a Home depot 3mm ply fuselage and some spare wings I have on my workshop, and a canopy made out of a PET bottle.

It seems to me is the smallest converted engine gasser Ive read about, its a 56 inch wingspan with a total wing area of 560.

It was designed to fit the Toro with a very short nose and a hatch to be able to put batteries and servos on the tail so it didnt requiere any more tail weight.

Flies really good,

Regards.
VÃ*ctor.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt56486.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	153.6 KB
ID:	1819983   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw71115.jpg
Views:	62
Size:	269.6 KB
ID:	1819984  
Old 11-13-2012, 09:06 AM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: My New Gasser With Toro 25cc (Pics)

Very nice! I like to do that as well sometimes; make airplanes myself either scratch built entirely, or built of old airplane components I have laying around. Seems like I enjoy them more than my "store bought" airplanes many times.

Looks great and congrats.

AV8TOR
Old 11-13-2012, 10:33 AM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Man that is a small wing for that motor ! good job
I have messed with these motors on other planes, but you are much higher wingload then I have a attempted...
There is a similar thread on conversions and small planes going on right now in the scratch build forum...

Name:	Hf99417.jpg
Views:	61
Size:	206.3 KB
ID:	1820046  
Old 11-13-2012, 11:09 AM
sensei

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

You know, if you put enough power on a cinder block you can make it fly but stating it flies good would only come from one that does not really know the difference...

Bob
Old 11-13-2012, 11:26 AM
oddy

Bpb (sensei) Respectfully Disagree with you.... after 30 years flying all kind of RC categories, I do like to think I´m able to identify if a plane flies well.

A well balanced, well constructed, with the right incicdece plane do fly well.

But I guess you can tell a better opinion of how the plane performs without ever watching thes plane (you must have some really amazing super powers)

Some of us get interested in building and experimenting doing our own things and feal really proud of making them work, I see no point on having the attitude shown in your comment specially in a forum dedicated to conversion engines which most of the spirit is finding the capability of having something desingned for some other use work for our hobby.

Regards.
VÃ*ctor.

Old 11-13-2012, 11:57 AM
sensei

There was no attitude in my post, I was simply stating facts... The Reynolds numbers of an airplane that small along with the higher wing loading/cubed loading says it all grasshopper, at least to anyone that really understands what they are looking at, or in this case, what they are flying.

Bob
Old 11-13-2012, 12:18 PM
tkg
My Feedback: (1)

More wing would help slow flight, especially at your altitude. In the mean time just keep Bumble Beeing along (aerodynamic laws say that a Bumble Bee cant fly either).
Old 11-13-2012, 12:57 PM
gr8flyer55

You're right TKG about the Bumblebee. I've seen a video posted on the forums linked to YouTube which showed a Ryobi 31cc on a .40 sized Duraplane. Granted, there were landing and takeoff problems but it did fly successfully! I've even tried overpowering a .40 sized bigstik with a 20cc weedeater conversion with CDI and that plane is a real Hoot to fly!!

John
Old 11-13-2012, 01:24 PM
sensei

Successfully flying does not mean that this is a great flying airplane does it, in fact if it has problems taking off and landing, the writing is on the wall don't you think.

Bob
Old 11-13-2012, 02:27 PM
foodstick

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Well i took the stick out I posted above today , FINALLY got the carb right, made about 4 flights, real good headwind down the runway so landings were nice. but with 1000 square inches.. its got to be pretty floaty compared to Oddy's 560 square inchs !!!!!
Old 11-13-2012, 02:37 PM
oddy

Actually something to factor in is that in México City we fly at 2,240 metres (7,350 ft) which limits signifantly the power output of our engines. (Arround 22% power loss)

I also have a 1,000 square inches Stik like plane but here in México I power it with a 33cc weedeater conversion engine with a much bigger DLE 50 carb and a free flow muffler to be able to have enough power to at least do basic acrobatic figures.

This is the plane.

Name:	Ig11185.jpg
Views:	54
Size:	213.0 KB
ID:	1820066  
Old 11-13-2012, 02:57 PM
sensei

At your altitude I would be doing everything in my power to learn to build just as light as possible, and power with the lightest thing I could afford, weight is the enemy especially in your case. Oh and I would also be looking at a little higher aspect ratio wings, all this would surly enhance your flying experience.

Bob
Old 11-13-2012, 09:22 PM
Scota4570

Good job!

"Flies good" means a smile and satisfaction to me. Geez, he made something. That is getting so rare.

90% of the guys in my club buy Chinese arfs. That makes them happy. Even so, I put somebody who put some effort into it and did for themselves at a much higher wrung regardless of how perfect it came out. I bet if flies about like those big warbird arfs with the high wing loadings, that can cost thousands.

We have a handful of older members who scratch build with balsa, silk, and dope. I hold them in the highest regards and always listen carefully. They have a lot to teach and we should listen while we can. I think paying a person in China to make our airplane for us is cheating. Our society lacks knowledge, skills, and patience. It is sad.
Old 11-14-2012, 04:15 AM
sensei

ORIGINAL: Scota4570

Good job!

''Flies good'' means a smile and satisfaction to me. Geez, he made something. That is getting so rare.

90% of the guys in my club buy Chinese arfs. That makes them happy. Even so, I put somebody who put some effort into it and did for themselves at a much higher wrung regardless of how perfect it came out. I bet if flies about like those big warbird arfs with the high wing loadings, that can cost thousands.

We have a handful of older members who scratch build with balsa, silk, and dope. I hold them in the highest regards and always listen carefully. They have a lot to teach and we should listen while we can. I think paying a person in China to make our airplane for us is cheating. Our society lacks knowledge, skills, and patience. It is sad.
If you are really interested in listening to the older guys with the knowledge, then you should be listening right now...

Bob
Old 11-14-2012, 01:11 PM
tkg
My Feedback: (1)

Oddy try a few calculations from this page http://www.flyrc.com/index.php/wing-load-calculator/
Old 11-14-2012, 04:30 PM
sensei

ORIGINAL: tkg

Oddy try a few calculations from this page http://www.flyrc.com/index.php/wing-load-calculator/
It just came to me, many guys believe that racer's and war birds fly really good, I have news for you, most don't fly well at all, they are really cool and some very fast for sure but almost all aircraft in this category must be energy managed throughout the flight envelope, especially when slowed down because they are not forgiving, they just fall off the wing and quit flying. Come on, we have all seen this happen at our fields and flying events before...

Bob
Old 11-14-2012, 05:28 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wing loading only partially tells the story due to scale effect and Reynolds Numbers. The cube loading is a better determinator. Once you are familiar with how the wing loading actually affects the different size planes, you can get an idea of how they are going to fly. A 10 oz. loading on a park flyer is very much different than a 10 oz. wing loading on an 80" wingspan airplane for example. The cube loading lets you know more effectively how the airplane should perform.

My 80" Giant Stik is a heavy plane the way I have it set up, but it always amazes me how well it glides and how slow it will fly. My 72" Giles on the other hand, isn't all that heavy, but it will definitely bite you if you get it too slow or pull (or push) too hard on the elevator. The Giant Stik has a wing loading of 23.5, and the Giles 28. Seemingly not all that far apart. However, the cube loading on the Giant Stik is low at only 7.25, while the cube loading on the Giles is rather high at 11. There's the difference....

Anyway, Oddy is proud of his plane and happy with how it flies, and that is all that matters.

AV8TOR
Old 11-15-2012, 02:10 AM
sensei

ORIGINAL: av8tor1977

Wing loading only partially tells the story due to scale effect and Reynolds Numbers. The cube loading is a better determinator. Once you are familiar with how the wing loading actually affects the different size planes, you can get an idea of how they are going to fly. A 10 oz. loading on a park flyer is very much different than a 10 oz. wing loading on an 80'' wingspan airplane for example. The cube loading lets you know more effectively how the airplane should perform.

My 80'' Giant Stik is a heavy plane the way I have it set up, but it always amazes me how well it glides and how slow it will fly. My 72'' Giles on the other hand, isn't all that heavy, but it will definitely bite you if you get it too slow or pull (or push) too hard on the elevator. The Giant Stik has a wing loading of 23.5, and the Giles 28. Seemingly not all that far apart. However, the cube loading on the Giant Stik is low at only 7.25, while the cube loading on the Giles is rather high at 11. There's the difference....

Anyway, Oddy is proud of his plane and happy with how it flies, and that is all that matters.

AV8TOR
True, very true but there are some that could benefit from understanding a few important details of what truly makes a great flying airplane.

Bob