Notices
Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

31cc Atom Motor

Old 11-18-2012, 06:09 PM
Prboz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 31cc Atom Motor

Hi All,

My brother gave me a 31cc Atom motor from an edger. It looks brand new.

Would like to convert to an rc Engine but have a couple of questions.

I have been stripping down some of the weight and Have found that the back crank case cover is actually plastic. I was going to put some extensions on the back of the crankcase long enough to clear the muffler and carb. Has anybody had this issue. Was a new crank case cover made? Or just mount the extenders on the plastic?

Suggested Prop size for this thing I am told it is 31cc but it had little detail.

Thanks

Prboz

Old 11-18-2012, 07:12 PM
gr8flyer55

Default RE: 31cc Atom Motor

A picture of it would help sort things out. It sounds like Ryobi by your description.
If it is, you can find all sorts of parts online for it including a mount, muffler, prop adapter, and even an electronic conversion for it to get rid of the heavy flywheel and magneto.
Try looking up Jag engines for ideas.

John
Old 11-19-2012, 08:56 AM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah, it sounds like a Ryobi, but it could also be a Craftsman. (Poulan?) They look quite similar at first glance.

AV8TOR
Old 11-19-2012, 09:20 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I just looked through the pdf manual and in the parts breakdown it looks like a Ryobi.
I have a few of them. There are a lot of modifications you can do to them . At a minimum I would put in some Bowman rings, a bit larger carb and just that will make it a good running engine. From there you can lighten the flywheel, trim the backplate, machine the intake and exhaust and put EI on it. I have one running on EI , Bowman ring, 11.1 carb,trimmed backplate , better muffler and some machining on the intake and exhaust and it is a good powerful engine.

The standard conversion work will result in a good engine for a warbird or other scale plane.

There is a thread here about converting them titled "another ryobi conversion thread" I believe.

As far as the engine mounts you can make and bolt a plate or ring over the plastic backplate using the existing screws and then mount the standoffs.on the plate/ring.
Old 11-19-2012, 09:38 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Here's one example not using standoffs but you get the gist:

www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_1387759/anchors_1387759/mpage_1/key_/anchor/tm.htm#1387759

Old 11-24-2012, 10:03 PM
Scota4570

This may help:

http://jagengines.com/