Notices
Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

Ryobi gas to glow?

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2012, 04:43 PM
jp1961

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ryobi gas to glow?

Has anybody converted a gas string trimmer engine to glow? Doesn't seem like it would be that difficult to do. Other than converting the spark plug to a glow plug and adding a glow carberator, off say a large Super Tiger engine, what else would you have to do?

Jeff
Old 12-10-2012, 05:04 PM
Scota4570

Default RE: Ryobi gas to glow?

The original carb will probably work. You may actually need a bigger one or larger jets to get enough fuel. Some guys use a mix of gas and glow fuel to do this. I would speculate that the low compression ratio would make for very retarded timing. Glow engines relie on the compression ratio to set the timing. Optimal compression ratio is important for best power output. Glow fuel is expensive and has way too much oil, I don't see the up side. Make a glow plug adapter and try, it would not cost anything to answer the question. There are may here that may be able to give an answer based on experience.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:26 PM
tkg
My Feedback: (1)

Mix 2 parts of methanol with 1 part of glow fuel to get the oil under control. They make hotter/colder glow plugs for tuning purposes.
You will need 2x the fuel so plan on a much bigger fuel tank.
Old 12-10-2012, 05:37 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Instead of pure glow, try this: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_80..._1/key_/tm.htm

We've been doing it for quite a few years now with great success...

AV8TOR
Old 12-10-2012, 06:51 PM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Many years ago, several of us converted trimmer engines over to glow engines. At the time, the largest glow engines you could buy were the OS .80 and the Fox .78 engines. So if you wanted to fly a larger plane than those engines could handle, you were stuck unless you converted a trimmer engine over to glow power.

Basically you stripped the engine off of all the non-essential stuff. Then made a prop adapter and or prop hub. You make a glow plug adapter to replace the spark plug. Then a carb adapter for your favorite glow engine carb. I used to use Perry carbs for this as they are easy to get and not too expensive. Finally some way to mount the engine to the plane. Sometimes this was a simple plate with some holes in it, sometimes it was more complicated of course.

The engines ran fairly well. But sometimes if the spark plug was a little small, you had to mount the glow plug on top of the adapter instead of recessed down into the adapter and you may have to use a on board glow adapter to help keep the glow plug lighted up nicely.

Old 12-10-2012, 07:02 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Glow engines rust on the inside so use after run oil.