Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

Walbro Diaphrams

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 04:45 AM
Tidnab
My Feedback: (51)

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Walbro Diaphrams

Anybody know of a cheap sourse for diaphrams ? I've been fixing trimmers and chainsaws and used my last one yesterday.Would like to buy more than one in a sale.
Old 06-15-2013, 11:31 AM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Walbro Diaphrams

Here's one place. They also have the kits for a very good price:

http://www.gizmomotors.com/index.php...category_id=16

AV8TOR
Old 06-15-2013, 12:34 PM
Tidnab

I found these that were cheap for each one ,but the shipping for the ten that I wanted was $16.50. It costs $3.50 to ship one and would probably be in an envelope of some kind.I won't pay ripoff shipping charges and I let the seller know that.They could ship ten for the $3.50. They had the description of the iten for shipping as being in a 5"x 5"x 24" box and weighing 1.3 lbs.Must be heavy diaphrams.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...A2Z8WNXMBMRTVW
Old 06-15-2013, 07:04 PM
av8tor1977

Yeah, especially on e-bay, but in other markets too, you have to watch for those shipping and handling charges. I have seen things on e-bay sell for 15 bucks, with 30 bucks shipping and handling!!

It is pretty hard to find those diaphragms for less than a couple of bucks a piece, which really isn't bad anyway....

We did one time find 10 for 10 bucks, but it was a misprint and after buying them the buyer didn't want to let them go for that price.

AV8TOR
Old 06-18-2013, 07:25 AM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I was just talking to a guy at a garage sale.  He had 5 weedwackers for sale. (I got the Homelight for $2.  Passed on the McColloughs)  He was saying he softened up the diaphrams up by soaking them in kerosene (or WD 40, I forget now)  Anyone ever try this???.  I have at least one that dried up.
Old 06-18-2013, 12:45 PM
spaceworm

ORIGINAL: aspeed

I was just talking to a guy at a garage sale. He had 5 weedwackers for sale. (I got the Homelight for $2. Passed on the McColloughs) He was saying he softened up the diaphrams up by soaking them in kerosene (or WD 40, I forget now) Anyone ever try this???. I have at least one that dried up.

The ones I have had to replace have not just been stiff, but also warped, I don't think just softening would make them usable. I replace them with the tan Teflon ones, or if I am out of those at the moment, with the blue acetate ones. If you have the carb opened why not replace the diaphrams, they are cheap enough.

Good luck.
Old 06-18-2013, 03:02 PM
av8tor1977

In desperation a time or two, I have tried to soak diaphragms in various substances. Never have gotten a stiff one to limber up yet. Sometimes, but pretty rarely, if they are just starting to become little bit stiff, soaking them overnight in regular gas/oil mix can get them limbered up enough to run, but it is always better to replace them anyway. I'm talking about getting one more run out of a weedeater or something like that for the "band aid" measures...

AV8TOR
Old 06-18-2013, 05:16 PM
Tidnab

I found a saw shop that said they have a box somewhere that has just the diaphragms in it. When they do a carb now they use a full rebuild kit and haven't used just the diaphragms for quite some time.I'll have to go there and see what they have.I told them I work mostly with WA and WT carbs,but on Ebay in their listings they list more letters of carbs that that diaphragm will fit. Do diaphragms that are still sealed in their original plastic go bad after time ?
Old 06-18-2013, 06:51 PM
AA5BY

Three years ago, I bought a supply from mfgsupply.com At that time, metering diaphragms were 1.99 ea and teflon pumps were .92ea. Shipping was 6.99 but I bought a supply that I'm still working on three years later.

edit: Visiting the site, those prices are not very different now. To find the parts, go to the chain saw section and then carb parts.
Old 06-19-2013, 06:54 AM
aspeed

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I guess I will have to check at the corner shop and see how much he wants for them.  Sometimes the prices are scary there.  $2 is pretty much a steal.  Can't be much profit there.  Burger places don't even want to talk to you for less than $5.
Old 06-19-2013, 06:59 AM
Nosedragger

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: AA5BY

Three years ago, I bought a supply from mfgsupply.com At that time, metering diaphragms were 1.99 ea and teflon pumps were .92ea. Shipping was 6.99 but I bought a supply that I'm still working on three years later.

edit: Visiting the site, those prices are not very different now. To find the parts, go to the chain saw section and then carb parts.
Been using MFG Supply for years.