Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

This is the G5 Glow Gas Plug

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2014, 07:14 AM
michael wood
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This is the G5 Glow Gas Plug

Anybody try this new glow plug from OS? The plug is made for gas so no gas to glow mixed fuel. It uses A standard glow plug battery jus wondering if anybody has looed at this
Old 12-22-2014, 05:05 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by michael wood
Anybody try this new glow plug from OS? The plug is made for gas so no gas to glow mixed fuel. It uses A standard glow plug battery jus wondering if anybody has looed at this
I do not see this new glow plug you talk about? Can you show a photo of it & details?
Old 12-22-2014, 07:13 PM
michael wood

[TABLE]
[TR]
[TD="bgcolor: #f0f0f0"]FEATURES[/TD]
[/TR]
[/TABLE]
For use with O.S. GG series gasoline powered engines that use a
glow plug instead of a spark plug for ignition
Specifically designed for a gasoline/oil mixture
Uses standard glow igniter. The plug will be out in late December I believe it can be used with 30-50 to 1 mix Tower hobbies is showing the engine and the parts list under OS gas engines
Old 01-05-2015, 08:49 AM
michael wood

I just ordered one and am going to try it on either A homelite 25cc or a Ryobi I will let you all know how it works out
Old 01-05-2015, 10:25 AM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, please do. I saw the ad for this OS engine and special glow plug the other day, and thought, "How strange is that? We invented Gas/Glow here in the forum, and the mighty OS Engines is using the idea."

AV8TOR
Old 01-16-2015, 02:46 PM
michael wood

Gentleman I have good news for all IT WORKS. I used A Ryobi 31cc engine that I had set up with electronic ignition and tried to start it like normal choke on throttle opened up till it started choke opened throttle opened 1/4 flipped A couple of times and it ran backwards choked it to stop the engine had to do this a few till it ran right it had old fuel in the tank but it ran good no misses from idle to wide open 1800rpm to 7500rpmit would probably start better with fresh gas Michael
Old 01-16-2015, 04:48 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Interesting. Keep at it!

The Gas/Glow engine conversions we were using also would start backwards sometimes. The cure, if you did not want to use an electric starter, was to use a really good follow through flipping technique when starting them. If you kind of slapped at the prop during starting, they would quite often start in reverse. You could also try the bump backwards against compression method used by many when starting large glow engines.

AV8TOR
Old 01-17-2015, 01:45 AM
michael wood

thanks I will try that
Old 01-20-2015, 05:17 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I always did the "back bounce'' start. Get the engine in that kick back mode...pull the prop backwards & wen you feel a sudden pressure build up...just let it go and the engine will reverse direction and run the right direction. Very simple once mastered. Use a leather glow when learning. Capt,n
Old 09-07-2015, 03:44 AM
shonny

Originally Posted by michael wood
Where can one get hold of the G5? Search the net to no avail. Australian RCM News has a review of the engine and comments/tests of the gas glow plug.
Old 09-07-2015, 05:50 AM
earlwb

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For us here in the USA, Tower Hobbies and some other online stores that sell OS products have them. Those larger local hobby shops tend to have some too. I did notice that for a while Tower Hobbies would run out of stock from time to time though. So the online stores might be out of stock intermittently too.

If a engine uses the Turbo plug like they use with RC cars a lot, then you can get the OS P3 turbo plug and it works with gasoline too. The NV Engines GX-40 gasoline engine uses the OS P3 Turbo plug. That plug works really well with the special OS P3 plug on gasoline too.
Old 09-07-2015, 06:24 AM
shonny

Nothing like looking around a bit. Found them here in Norway to a BETTER price than in the US. Always a first, innit?
Old 09-07-2015, 07:36 AM
earlwb

Well that is impressive, they wound up being cheaper than here. Nice. I would not have seen that happening in Scandinavia.
Old 09-10-2015, 04:36 AM
earlwb

I had taken this picture a while back. it shows the OS F and OS G5 plugs adjacent to each other. Also the Fox Miracle plug and the OS P3 Turbo plug too.
You will note that the OS G5 plug is a little bit more long in length than the OS F plug. It isn't much, but it could be a problem in rare cases with some engines.
The OS G5 and OS P3 Turbo plugs both are ultra-hot heat range glow plugs that work well with gasoline instead of methanol.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Glow_plug_Comparison_01.jpg
Views:	1953
Size:	125.0 KB
ID:	2119163   Click image for larger version

Name:	Glow_plug_Comparison_03.jpg
Views:	530
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	2119164  

Last edited by earlwb; 09-10-2015 at 04:39 AM.
Old 09-10-2015, 05:43 AM
flyinwalenda
My Feedback: (5)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The only issue I can see is lifespan. Is it going to be like a typical glow plug......could last a week, a month, or year(s)? Compared to spark plugs that typically last years.
Old 09-10-2015, 08:54 AM
shonny

Would be interesting to know what OS uses for filaments in the G5, whether it is platinum like in ordinary glow plugs, or something even more exotic. Or maybe a lot less exotic, as platinum ain't that cheap!
Old 09-10-2015, 10:41 AM
earlwb

Originally Posted by shonny
Would be interesting to know what OS uses for filaments in the G5, whether it is platinum like in ordinary glow plugs, or something even more exotic. Or maybe a lot less exotic, as platinum ain't that cheap!
Clarence Lee asked that same question in one of his magazine articles when he was reviewing the OS GGT15 engine (July 2015 issue of MAN) and they replied back that it was a secret as to what the G5 glow plug used for a coil element.

But in thinking about it more, the P3 glow plug is a ultra hot heat range plug used with RC car engines, namely the RC trucks for obstacle courses. Thus it works with methanol. But the heat range must be letting it keep enough heat stored to ignite the gasoline vapors in the combustion chamber in combination with the engine's heat.

Last edited by earlwb; 09-10-2015 at 10:52 AM. Reason: add more info
Old 09-10-2015, 10:48 AM
earlwb

Originally Posted by flyinwalenda
The only issue I can see is lifespan. Is it going to be like a typical glow plug......could last a week, a month, or year(s)? Compared to spark plugs that typically last years.
Unfortunately, the glow plug could last for a year or more or fail right off the bat. It depends on so many factors. Now I have experience with the P3 Turbo plug. The first plug worked for one tank of fuel and then quit. The second plug has been going for quite a while with many flights. Something like 50 flights or tanks of fuel now through the engine. I have gone through two gallons of gasoline/oil mix fuel with the engine (a NV-Engines GX40) an have a fresh gallon mixed up now for it. But that doesn't mean I ran two complete gallons through it. When the container got low, I threw it out, out of concern it might be getting stale on me. So that second glow plug has been working all that time Ok though.

So with a new engine, you can sort of expect that first plug and first engine run to trash the plug. It can be quite frustrating to not have a spare then. Probably something about "Murphy's Law" in there someplace.

Spark plugs eventually go bad, from nothing else than carbon build up over time. With some of my other engines, I was really surprised in that the spark plug and engine still ran OK even though the spark plug was all coated and gunked up with carbon deposits.

Last edited by earlwb; 09-10-2015 at 10:52 AM. Reason: add more info
Old 09-10-2015, 10:18 PM
prigai

Originally Posted by earlwb
So with a new engine, you can sort of expect that first plug and first engine run to trash the plug.
Yes, always better to use old plugs, even on permanent glow power for break-in and for the first 3-4 tanks, this way you can get more out of expensive G5 and "F" type plugs.
I even run new engines on ignition for 3-4 tanks before replacing the EI with a G5 plug. The G5 works great, I tested it on a good number of engines already.
Anything under 20cc should be seriously considered for a "GGT" conversion, I just picked up a couple of second hand ST G3250's and fitted one with a Walbro carb, the ST G90 and G2300 I converted a while back did well when tested with the G5, I expect this one to do well too but now I have a good few EI's I removed from the smaller gassers that can power the larger glow conversions.
Old 09-11-2015, 04:52 AM
spaceworm

Probably asked already, maybe even by me (CRS). Will the G5 plug work with four strokes? Thanks.
Sincerely, Richard
AMA 861960
Club Saito #635; Saito 56, 100, 120abc, 130T, 180
YS F 120;
Old 09-11-2015, 05:57 AM
earlwb

Originally Posted by spaceworm
Probably asked already, maybe even by me (CRS). Will the G5 plug work with four strokes? Thanks.
Sincerely, Richard
AMA 861960
YS F 120;
I think that it works. But maybe with not all gas four stroke engines though. Hard to say for sure.

ref

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPyZziSaF-g

Now then a another fellow stated this "For a while I ran a Saito FG-20 with a G5 glow plug since replacement ignitions are expensive. It was more finickey than usual so I eventually converted to an Rcexl ignition. As it turns out, the engine was still finickey because of the weak and unregulated pump, so perhaps the glow plug was not to blame..."

Anyway it looks like it would work with a four stroke engine OK too.
Old 09-11-2015, 02:28 PM
prigai

I think that it works. But maybe with not all gas four stroke engines though. Hard to say for sure.

ref

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPyZziSaF-g

Now then a another fellow stated this "For a while I ran a Saito FG-20 with a G5 glow plug since replacement ignitions are expensive. It was more finickey than usual so I eventually converted to an Rcexl ignition. As it turns out, the engine was still finickey because of the weak and unregulated pump, so perhaps the glow plug was not to blame..."

Anyway it looks like it would work with a four stroke engine OK too.
https

Thanks for the link, here's another one: ://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FBUfVt9MBI
Old 09-11-2015, 02:29 PM
prigai

Try the link again:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_FBUfVt9MBI
Old 09-13-2015, 04:51 AM
earlwb

Yes, I think that we can say that the four stroke engines will with with the OS G5 gas glow plug too. So it does look quite promising. Especially with small displacement engines burning gasoline. I think that the big advantage will be with airplanes and engines too small for a regular spark ignition system.

Another plus would be eliminating a source of radio interference by not having a electronic ignition system in a model RC aircraft too.
Old 09-13-2015, 05:39 AM
spaceworm

Yes, I think that we can say that the four stroke engines will with with the OS G5 gas glow plug too. So it does look quite promising. Especially with small displacement engines burning gasoline. I think that the big advantage will be with airplanes and engines too small for a regular spark ignition system.

Another plus would be eliminating a source of radio interference by not having a electronic ignition system in a model RC aircraft too.
Opening up a controversial subject again: Will the G5 plug work with Coleman lantern fuel. Does a small 4 stroke designed for glow need octane more than the Coleman's 50-70? Will adding the more oil needed for a non-needle/roller bearing con rod affect the G5 operability? Thanks.
Sincerely, Richard
AMA 861960
YS F 120;

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.