Notices
Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

Av8tor's "storage fuel"

Old 02-18-2015, 03:42 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Av8tor's "storage fuel"

I've been ranting for several years now about how I use a special "Storage Fuel" that I make out of Coleman Camp Fuel, with a dash of Sta-Bil, and 20:1 oil ratio. After flying with my regular gasoline mix, I remove the fuel from the tank, fill the tank half full with my "Storage Fuel", and then run the engine at varying throttle settings until I am sure the storage fuel has displaced all the regular flying fuel. I then run the engine up to full throttle, and CHOKE the engine to kill it. I then cap off the fuel vent, leave the choke closed, and cap off the muffler outlets. I leave the storage fuel in the fuel tank while storing the plane.

This has solved all my carburetor and fuel line problems, which were numerous and frequent using any brand fuel available in my Tucson, Arizona, area.

So, I read this notice with extra interest: http://aeroscott.com/care-feeding-rc-engine-glow-gas/

Trust me, it works. Once again the caveat; I would never fly anything I own with the Coleman Fuel, no matter how many people say to do so is fine and causes no problems. I don't want to run 50 octane fuel in any of my engines for actual flight....

AV8TOR
Old 02-19-2015, 05:24 AM
spaceworm

+1

How much is a "dash"of Stabil and what brand/type oil do you use? Thanks

Richard
Old 02-19-2015, 06:14 AM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

I use Pennzoil for Air Cooled Engines as I still have a stock of it. It has been re-marketed now as Shell Aerosport 2 I understand. I use the Sta-Bil as indicated on the bottle. A little goes a long way as the bottle is meant to treat (several) entire tanks on a car or boat.

I hesitated to say which oil I use, because sometimes synthetic and non-synthetic oils don't mix well, and you might normally be using a synthetic oil in your flight fuel. So, while a non-synthetic oil is better to use in a storage fuel than synthetic, (synthetic oils can be hygroscopic, and in any case don't usually provide the same anti-rust protection a good non-synthetic does.), it might be better to stick with a 20:1 mix of your standard oil to avoid any possible complications/interactions between oils. The important thing is to get rid of the flight fuel and any alcohol or other additives it might have, and substitute it with a non-reactive fuel that will keep the gaskets, rubber, and fuel lines moist and soft. If you live in a moist, humid area, and are going to be storing the engine for a long time, I recommend using automotive automatic transmission fluid as an after run oil, even on gas engines. Marvel Mystery Air Tool Oil also works well, but I have been using auto ATF for many years and have glow engines that are 35 years old, run perfectly, and have never been apart. With today's gasoline, using an after run oil in a gas engine is a good idea.

AV8TOR

Last edited by av8tor1977; 02-19-2015 at 06:25 AM.