Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Engine Conversions
Reload this Page >

Homelite 26cc gas engine conversion help

Notices
Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

Homelite 26cc gas engine conversion help

Old 06-27-2015, 02:11 PM
sierra_bravo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sorry already bought av8tors1977's engine. But could you just sell the prop adapter. Thanks

-sam
Old 06-27-2015, 02:37 PM
sierra_bravo

spaceworm
Thanks for your concern. I actually wont be doing a lot of the work on the engine but am going to have my brother(who is a mechanic and has many years of knowledge with gas engines) to help out with the project. Also I am going to ask some of the guys at my field if they have any knowledge on this subject.

-sam
Old 06-27-2015, 02:45 PM
sierra_bravo

Av8tor

I swear I must have read both [h=2]A Typical Weed Whacker Conversion [/h] and

Newbie to Gas General Information

at least 10 times each but I could read them 100 times more and even after that there is so much more I want to read

also it's a good thing that I have a large hardware store that has everything I need to convert the engine because home depot has almost nothing.

-sam
Old 06-27-2015, 04:18 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, that's good that you have qualified help, and that you want to read to increase your knowledge. We just don't want you to get hurt, nor get too frustrated with your project, but everyone has to learn at some point to accomplish what they want to do. I am glad to see people of your age have the inclination to do something like this. We are here to help. Just note that sometimes I am away from the computer for days at a time, as I will be next week. I will answer any questions when I get back.

Meanwhile, take a look at post number 18 on this thread: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/engi...erengines.html

Carr Precision used to make parts for Homelite conversions, and a phone call to him might set you up with a prop hub. I am sorry that I am just so overwhelmingly busy at this time that I can't offer to make you one. Anyone else out there???

Good luck and be careful,
AV8TOR
Old 06-27-2015, 05:24 PM
sierra_bravo

Originally Posted by av8tor1977
Well, that's good that you have qualified help, and that you want to read to increase your knowledge. We just don't want you to get hurt, nor get too frustrated with your project
Yeah I will still do some stuff on the motor but I'll leave the welding up to him. I dont think anyone wants to get hurt. I've had my share of incidents with a spinning prop and my hand to know to be extra careful when working with spinning thing that cuts. As for the prop adapter and Carr Precision I will keep looking for a solution and I found this website that has the same address and phone number as the original carr precision so maybe he is still in work and might be making conversion parts.

Thanks
-sam
Old 06-27-2015, 06:44 PM
av8tor1977

Well, I don't want to scare you, but a prop on a .40 size glow engine for example, will cut you badly. A prop on a 30cc engine will literally take body parts right off!! Also note that many magneto engines are quite difficult to hand start. You may need to come up with a stout starter to get the engine going. A cheap but workable option is to buy a propeller cone and silicone insert, and use a good battery powered drill as a starter.

Give them a call at Carr Precision at that number on the post I sent you.

AV8TOR

Last edited by av8tor1977; 06-27-2015 at 06:48 PM.
Old 06-28-2015, 03:58 PM
sierra_bravo

I cant remember where I did read the "glow cuts but gas cuts off" saying before. I will keep that in mind though when working on the engine or in fact when working a any plane with a prop. I did find this plug from OS that if i'm not wrong lets you start the engine without having the spark plug and ignition coil but with a normal glow plug starter. If I could do that then I would be able to save a ton of weight which is awesome. I am not sure if it will fit in the place where the spark plug goes though but I'll do some reading on the plug. Also the homelite 30cc is hopefully going to arrive tomorrow.

-sam

Last edited by sierra_bravo; 06-28-2015 at 04:01 PM.
Old 06-28-2015, 09:20 PM
av8tor1977

Here's some reading for you:

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/engi...-glow-how.html

AV8TOR
Old 06-29-2015, 06:51 PM
sierra_bravo

Thanks for the link.

I got your engine and wow. I took it out of the box and it was so clean. Also the back plate is great. I used it to mount the engine to a block of wood and I held the engine to a table in my garrage with a vise. Also I tested the ignition coil and the spark plug and both work perfectly. The engine does have a good ammount of commpresion but i dont have a compression tester to see for sure. I havent tested the engine yet but hopfully I will be able to soon. I was thinking of buying the short shaft prop adapter from jag engines but it would cost $40 shipped which sounds like a lot to me. I'll call a machine shop near me to see if they can make a prop adapter for me but I dont really know how to describe what i need. Also how do most of these prop adapters work. Is it like a normal rc engine where the the prop goes through the crankshaft and is held on by a nut or do that work in a differnt way.

Thanks
-sam
Old 06-29-2015, 07:00 PM
av8tor1977

No, normally they thread onto the crankshaft, then have a stud coming out that you mount the prop to with a nut. As I mentioned, yours is the long shaft engine, so you either need the long shaft prop hub, or you need to shorten the shaft, re-thread it, then you can use a short shaft prop hub.

Here's a couple of pics of prop hubs. One is on an Echo 58cc that I converted to CDI ignition, so it is made for use without the magneto flywheel. The other one is on a Homelite 30cc with a magneto. (Short shaft)

AV8TOR
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_4321.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	127.5 KB
ID:	2106486   Click image for larger version

Name:	HOMELITE 28.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	22.3 KB
ID:	2106487   Click image for larger version

Name:	HOMELITE 30.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	28.7 KB
ID:	2106488   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3436.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	237.7 KB
ID:	2106495  

Last edited by av8tor1977; 06-29-2015 at 07:09 PM.
Old 06-29-2015, 07:08 PM
sierra_bravo

Do you think if I show the people at the mechine shop some photos of the adapter and take them my engine they could make something for me? Also I imagine that to re thread a shaft and to make the adapter you use a lathe and a welder.

-sam
Old 06-29-2015, 07:10 PM
av8tor1977

You don't need a welder, but you do need a die to re-thread the shaft, and a lathe to make the prop adapter. $40.00 is probably about as cheap as you're going to find one actually. Did you contact Ken at www.lambertsrc.com?

AV8TOR
Old 06-29-2015, 07:32 PM
sierra_bravo

I didnt contact him but I will try tomorrow. Should I get the crank shaft cut and re threaded or should I just buy a long shaft adapter. I know that the longer the shaft the more vibrations but how bad would it be. Also I am going to try to take apart the muffler and modify it tomorrow but how much of a loss of performance is there if I leave the muffler stock.

Thanks
-sam
Old 06-29-2015, 10:11 PM
av8tor1977

I always cut the shaft and use a short shaft prop adapter. I feel they are more secure.

The stock muffler robs a LOT of power. You need to gut it.

AV8TOR
Old 06-30-2015, 03:48 AM
sierra_bravo

I thought that the stock muffler would steal alot of power. I was looking at who makes a prop adapter and found these but im not sure that they would work. You would recommend a small flat head screw driver to open up the muffler.

-sam
Old 06-30-2015, 10:00 AM
av8tor1977

No, those will not work at all. You need a proper prop hub. Remember, safety?

Yes, get the muffler clamped in a vise and use a flat head screwdriver to start that crimp coming undone. The hardest part is getting it started. Once you start raising the crimp, it is easy to work your way around a little at a time and get it bent up enough to get the muffler apart.

AV8TOR
Old 06-30-2015, 10:35 AM
sierra_bravo

True. I was looking at the JAG engines website and saw that hey have a Prop hub for long shaft MAGNETO engines thats $11 but looking at it I dont its going to work for the homelite engine since the website it says the parts are for Ryobi and MTD engines also the crankshaft on the homelite is keyed. The adapter looks like something that can be made from a coupling nut, two fender washers, and a nut and can be attached to a short shaft threaded crankshaft but I dont think that it would be to safe or smart. If the long shaft prop adapter from JAG would work then I would just buy that and know I have a good safe adapter. As for the prop I was think of using a 16x6 prop.

-sam
Old 06-30-2015, 07:47 PM
av8tor1977

Ok my friend, my best advice here and then it's up to you. If you are not qualified to cut the shaft and thread it yourself, then have someone do it that can do it properly. Then contact either Ken at www.lambertsrc.com for a prop hub, or go ahead and buy the short shaft hub from Jag's engine if it will indeed fit the Homelite 30cc. If you don't have the money, have patience and save it up but do it right. Hey, you got the engine, mount, good carburetor, and muffler suitable for converting for only 40 bucks; spending a little money on it to convert it is still going to keep you under what a current glow engine of most any size would cost you.....

A Homelite 30cc likes either a 16 x 8 or an 18 x 6 prop depending on what kind of airplane it is on. 16 x 8 for a fast plane, 18 x 6 for a slower, larger plane.

AV8TOR

Last edited by av8tor1977; 06-30-2015 at 07:55 PM.
Old 07-01-2015, 07:48 AM
sierra_bravo

I wasn't going to cut the shaft my self I was going to ask my brother to do that. I like my ten fingers to much. And to thread it I'll take it to a machine shop. I sent a email to Lambert rc asking them if they have a prop adapter and I'm waiting for them to respond. Your right about the cost of this plane vs a glow equivalent. A glow would cost about $500 and a the spad is about $300.

As for the propeller. Since this is going on a 1/5 scale cub I'll go with a 18x6

Thanks
-sam: cool:
Old 07-01-2015, 10:26 AM
av8tor1977

Hey guy,

Save your self some time and give Ken a phone call, and also call Carr Precision's number that is on that post I gave you about them. Carr Precision did a lot of Homelite conversions, and they might be going out of business. They might have a good deal for you if they are closing out stock. But they don't have a website anymore; you have to call them.

Hang in there and have patience, it will be cool when it all comes together, and you'll have a really good engine for far cheaper than you could ever buy one for; even the Chinese imports.

Quote:
Maybe Carr's domain ran out.That 's what happened to Major_Smackdown and he didn't get enough business anymore doing parts for Homelite and other r/c boat engines to keep his site up and running. He does still have some parts left and could make others if he has the materials. He also has some Homelite and John Deere engines to convert.He can be found on Flying Giants site.
Carr Precision is owned by David Carr and is still listed as a company in Redmond ,OR

Carr Precision
435 NE Spruce Ct.
Redmond,OR 97756
Phone 503-533-9496

There was another number for that address and it was 541-923-4009
Unquote.

AV8TOR

Last edited by av8tor1977; 07-01-2015 at 10:32 AM.
Old 07-07-2015, 03:38 PM
sierra_bravo

Quick update
Lambert from Lambert rc responed saying that he would have to see the engine to make a adapter. I sent an email to jag 3 days ago about the prop adapter and they didnt respond yet so I'll probably call them tomorrow. I'll try to give Carr persion a call tomorrow. I went to a hobby shop out of state and I was able to buy the 16oz fuel tank, the wheels, the landing gear, 3ft of fuel line, push rods, control horns, and some other stuff so I have some of the parts for the plane. Sadly the hobby store didnt have the prop I needed or the servos.
Right now the main thing I need is the prop adapter and the prop to get the motor finished.

-sam

EDIT:
called JAG engines but no one picked up so I'll just call again later. Also called Carr persion and both number i called were disconnected. Hopefully the jag engines adapter works.

Last edited by sierra_bravo; 07-08-2015 at 11:31 AM.
Old 07-09-2015, 05:39 AM
sierra_bravo

-Quick update-

Called JAG engines and Dale(the guy who owns JAG engines) picked up. So I asked if the short shaft adapter would work and he said that it would since both the ryobi 31cc and the homelite 30cc have 5/16 shafts and have the same thread. So I went ahead and ordered the adapter, the prop washer, and the prop bolt. All for $31 shipped. He said that he wouldn't be able to make it until Monday after work and he would ship it Tuesday. So hopeful I'll have the adapter by Saturday the 18th.

I got the 16oz fuel tank that I am going to use in the plane built and connected it to the motor so now I just have to get the shaft cut and re threaded. I(well not me some one else is going to cut it)was going to cut to 3/4 of an inch based on the photo of the prop adapter. I might do the cutting and drilling on the muffler today and am thinking of two 1/2" holes for the outlet tubes. For the tubes I was going to use this this.

Thanks
-Sam
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-07-09 09.01.01.jpg
Views:	804
Size:	844.1 KB
ID:	2108191  

Last edited by sierra_bravo; 07-13-2015 at 09:02 AM.
Old 07-18-2015, 05:22 PM
sierra_bravo

This isn't a update about the project really but rather about Dale at JAG engines.

I called JAG to ask if they shipped my stuff I I was greeted but someone who wasn't Dale( I cant remember his name) who told me that nothing was shipped this week because Dale has passed away. I only talked to Dale one time but I could tell that he was a friendly helpful guy and I am sure that he will be missed. I do not know what is going to happen to JAG engines. Maybe it will be closed down hopefully someone who knows how to use a lathe and alot of other workshop tools will take over but I am not sure.

-Sam
Old 07-27-2015, 03:14 PM
sierra_bravo

So I got a call from JAG engines saying that they would have to refund my money because they did not have the parts made. So i need a prop hub again. Does any one know of anywhere where I can get an adapter or if any one still makes them I would be happy to buy one.
I did get the prop so theres some progress.

-sam
Old 07-27-2015, 07:41 PM
av8tor1977

If you don't find one in a couple of weeks, let me know and I'll make one up for you. My surgery recovery is going pretty good, and in a couple of weeks I should be able to make one, even if I have to make it in stages with rest breaks in between.

AV8TOR

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.