Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

Two excellent engine conversions

Search this Thread

Old 05-07-2017, 01:30 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Two excellent engine conversions

As many of you know, I do professional engine conversions on a limited basis. I have two engines in line to convert right now. One is an excellent Poulan Pro 42cc, and the other an equally nice Kawasaki 50cc. All my engines are completely disassembled and rebuilt to better than new condition as part of the conversion process, and I provide videos of the engines starting and running on my test stand. These and the other engines I do are far superior in quality and durability to the Chinese engines and are delivered "ready to fly". I have numerous very happy customers flying my engines.

If anyone would like to buy one of these engines, send me a private message, and I will convert that one first.

Thanks,
AV8TOR
Old 05-09-2018, 02:00 PM
r ward

"better than new".......as far as what ?.
Old 05-10-2018, 03:28 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Well, I consider my engines "better than new" for various reasons. For one, I have 50 years experience building and modifying engines of all types, and hand build them with a dedicated attention to detail that is far better than mass produced engines made by often underpaid and inexperienced assembly line workers throwing together engines to meet a price point.

Further, any and all replacement parts such as bearings, seals, etc. are always top quality pieces that in many if not all cases are better than OEM parts, which, once again are supplied to meet a price point and expedience on the assembly line, not necessarily performance and longevity. One such example is I always use rings made by Frank Bowman or his successor, which are well known to be of very high quality; providing quick break in and nearly always a performance boost. I hand fit these to the optimum gap, not just "slap it together", as is done on the assembly lines. All of the engine tolerances in my engines are checked. As a necessity in mass production, tolerances are designed so that tolerance "stack up" does not occur to a point that would be problematic. That is why often times two identical engines run differently, with one performing better than the other. The better performing engine, just by "luck of the draw" had it's various tolerances hit closer to actual design specs.

In many cases, I install a slightly larger (Walbro brand only), dual needle adjustment carb, completely rebuilt, and I ALWAYS include a custom modified muffler for more power. I convert nearly all my engines to CDI electronic ignition, which provides numerous advantages, to include easier starting, more power, longer plug life, etc.

Then I pressure check each engine, and finally test run it. During test running the engine gets tuned, checked for overall good operation, and is run through various heat cycles to get a good start going on the break in process. Then FINALLY, I carefully box it up, and ship it, insured, ready to be installed and run on your airplane and needing only a final fine tune to match your particular prop, fuel and oil, temp and altitude, etc.

On my full custom engines, (of which I only make to sell occasionally), I also optimize the port timings, the compression ratios, install a larger carb, etc., etc.....

About my engines:

www.rcuniverse.com/forum/engine-conversions-92/10863516-av8tor1977.html

(If this doesn't work as a link when you click on it, copy and paste it into your browser window. Excellent postings that I am proud of, just as I am proud of every engine I do.)

Ok? 😋
AV8TOR

Last edited by av8tor1977; 05-10-2018 at 03:43 PM.
Old 05-12-2018, 01:44 PM
rcairboater

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Aviator does quality work. I have bought a few engines from him as well.
Old 05-29-2018, 05:31 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I sold AV8TOR some new engines. Captain john
Old 09-16-2018, 06:18 PM
Balsa4evr

Originally Posted by av8tor1977
These and the other engines I do are far superior in quality and durability to the Chinese engines

Thanks,
AV8TOR
Speaking of Chinese engines I recently bought a 52cc 20 in.Chinese chain saw on line, $79 shipped. brand on this one is Coocheer. So far I would say it's a strong running saw but it does require 25:1 mix which I'm guessing means the bore is not chromed..?? They call the motor 4hp and it runs strong and sounds great..would it make a decent RC motor or just waste a conversion I wonder..?????
Old 10-09-2018, 05:25 AM
r ward

for all practical purposes, any small engine from a hand held tool will work,.......it's just a matter of how much junk needs to be cut off the engine block to get rid of the "not a aircraft motor" looks and what needs to be done to put a prop on it. some engines don't have a very "prop adaptor friendly" crankshaft sticking out to get an adaptor on and most prop adaptors have to be custom made now-a-days ..simply because the popularity of converting has passed.
that said, if you have your own lathe or access to a lathe and can use one,....the adaptors are easily made with basic lathe processes. the adaptors are really the "make or break" issue, in most cases... having a legitimate "machine shop" make one for you, would just about over price any conversion compared to buying a conventional aircraft motor of similar size these days..
Old 10-28-2018, 02:35 PM
flyboy2610
My Feedback: (1)

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Balsa4evr
Speaking of Chinese engines I recently bought a 52cc 20 in.Chinese chain saw on line, $79 shipped. brand on this one is Coocheer. So far I would say it's a strong running saw but it does require 25:1 mix which I'm guessing means the bore is not chromed..?? They call the motor 4hp and it runs strong and sounds great..would it make a decent RC motor or just waste a conversion I wonder..?????
I realize this isn't RC related, but the engine on the lawnmower I bought from Menards 5 years ago has a Chinese engine. Still starts on no more than 2 pulls every time.
Old 11-30-2018, 04:11 PM
rcairboater

Default Kawasaki 50cc

Originally Posted by av8tor1977
As many of you know, I do professional engine conversions on a limited basis. I have two engines in line to convert right now. One is an excellent Poulan Pro 42cc, and the other an equally nice Kawasaki 50cc. All my engines are completely disassembled and rebuilt to better than new condition as part of the conversion process, and I provide videos of the engines starting and running on my test stand. These and the other engines I do are far superior in quality and durability to the Chinese engines and are delivered "ready to fly". I have numerous very happy customers flying my engines.

If anyone would like to buy one of these engines, send me a private message, and I will convert that one first.

Thanks,
AV8TOR
What you want for the Kawasaki 50cc complete?