Notices
Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

getting frustrated

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2017, 09:11 PM
funkybunch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default getting frustrated

I have a 1/8 scale nitro buggy and i just bought two new glow plugs. I installed one today ran it for aproximate 30 seconds to adjust low speed needle. I pinched off the fuel line it reved then quit after about 3 or 4 seconds. But it never would start back up i remove glow plug and check it for glow and there is nothing no glow at all. So i remove the brand new glow plug from another car. It runs the same and again once i kill it, it dosnt start back up. Again after removing glow plug it dosnt glow. The engine needs at least a little bit of tune but even if it ran a bit rich i cant see that causing plugs to fail thst quickly. Litterally both plugs died after less than a minute. Any ideas as to what i can do to fix this issie.
Old 05-21-2017, 05:30 AM
funkybunch

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Oops this is in the wrong area i will repost
Old 05-21-2017, 08:09 AM
spaceworm

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Compression too high and/or nitro too high. In other words, too much nitro for the compression of the engine or vice versa. Add head shim(s) or use fuel with less nitro.
Old 05-21-2017, 01:18 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Yep. Also make sure your glow power voltage isn't too high, damaging the glow plug. If you are using some sort of a glow panel or glow driver, the voltage is usually adjustable.

AV8TOR
Old 05-23-2017, 07:57 PM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Sounds like a weak glow driver. Glow plugs don't burn out from such a short usage. A weak glow driver can start an engine and use what little capacity it has that one time and not glow enough to fire the engine later. Had it happen myself. Bring an extra cell with you or an extra driver. Also, the wall wart chargers for glow drivers often suck. I started charging them on my multi chemistry charger with such a massive improvement I can't even begin to describe. Old Nicads from an ancient (15yr old PLUS) cordless circular saw (9.6v) battery pack. Will take and hold over 2500mah on multi-chem charger; not more than 1000mah from wall wart charger.

I invite the OP to post pictures of the bottom (element end) of their glow plugs that "burned up".
Old 05-24-2017, 12:32 AM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Well, I hate to say it, but there is another possibility. If the engine is "making metal" as we say, that will kill glow plugs. If there is something seriously wrong internally with the engine and metal filings are going through it, that would kill glow plugs quick.

It would be nice to hear back from the O.P., even though he is on the wrong forum.

AV8TOR
Old 05-24-2017, 02:34 AM
1QwkSport2.5r

Received 76 Likes on 69 Posts

Originally Posted by av8tor1977
Well, I hate to say it, but there is another possibility. If the engine is "making metal" as we say, that will kill glow plugs. If there is something seriously wrong internally with the engine and metal filings are going through it, that would kill glow plugs quick.

It would be nice to hear back from the O.P., even though he is on the wrong forum.

AV8TOR
While true, based on what I get from the first post; I doubt that would be happening. But anything is possible when we are trying to help someone far from experienced with these little engines. (Not a hit on the OP either - just an observation)