Notices
Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

Morris Mini Motors Gas conversion kits

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2019, 04:53 PM
planenutzz

Received 44 Likes on 42 Posts
Default Morris Mini Motors Gas conversion kits

I have an Super Tigre ST2500 glow engine that I am considering converting to petrol (gas) and looking at the Morris Mini Motors full conversion kit.Has anyone tried their kits? Keen to find out what is included as their website does not list the items, just shows photos that show walbro carb, cabrb manifold to engine, timing / pick up rings, spark plug and ignition module.

I have emailed them several times to find out what is included and what other bits I need such as the timing wheel, piston stopper etc but its like pulling teeth, crickets chirping. Considering the prices of around 250 GBP, $330 USD or $463 AUD plus shipping its a pricey bit of gear and want to have my ducks in a row before I part with my hard earned.

I have also read that glow engines need to have conrod bearings replaced from brass sleeve type to roller pin type. Not sure if this is correct or a just a fallacy??

Also wanting to know if I need to run the engine at normal oil ratios - ST is 10 - 12% oil for glow. As petrol engines run hotter apprarantley do I need to increase oil content? Say 15% ??

Hopefully somebody has some answers as getting them out of the supplier is proving very difficult.

thanks in advance

cheers
P
Old 03-27-2019, 08:10 AM
larry@coyotenet
My Feedback: (21)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You could run it on gas-glow mix by changing the carburetor or putting up with the tuning of the glow carb being touchy, but you would need to change the rod bearings to roller and harden the crank pin if you want to go below 10 to 12 percent oil in the fuel. Cooling is also a problem since glow fuels with alcohol run cooler and the fin area of glow engines is really too small for gas temps. I stopped considering changing my big ST to gas because it just isn't worth it. I have seen the 2500 and the 4500 run on gas and neither had the power they had when run on glow.
Larry