Notices
Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

Poulan 46- What plane you flying it in?

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2003, 12:23 AM
Swat Cop
My Feedback: (11)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Poulan 46- What plane you flying it in?

I have a Poulan 46 converted by RC Ignition with electronic ignition. I am planning on installing it in a Dave Patrick Edge 540 which will be arriving from Chief Aircraft next week. Has anyone out there ever tried this combo?

I hear a lot of information on converting the Poulan 46 but I have a feeling the vast majority never get past the test stand. I would be interested in hearing what actual planes people have used the Poulan 46 in and what the results were as well as any problems encountered.
Old 10-02-2003, 12:26 AM
Swat Cop

Default RE: Poulan 46- What plane you flying it in?

Poulan 46
Old 10-02-2003, 12:44 AM
AutoMike

I've got a poulan 3ci (48cc) that im putting on a Lanier cap 232 kit. I'd like to hear stories too. Was looking to pick up a 46cc but had this one nearly gave to me so I thought I'd give it a go.
Old 10-02-2003, 08:08 AM
RC Extreme power
My Feedback: (24)

The Poulan will spin a 20-10 prop 7000-7200 rpm when broken in. The same as a ZDZ 40 or BME 44, We have two of them on the GP Patty extras at our club and they fly them well with unlimited vertical. There is a DB Edge at our club with a YS 140 that is unlimited so the Poulan should fly it with no problems. To me the Poulans and Homie 45-46cc are as good as any engine in their class.
Thanks
Milton
Old 10-02-2003, 10:34 AM
AutoMike

WOO-HOO! thanks, thats what I like to hear!
Old 10-02-2003, 11:11 AM
RC Extreme power
My Feedback: (24)

I had seen two adds in the for sell forums for a Echo 44 and a Poulan 46 that was under $300.00 ready to fly One was converted by RCignition and the other by Tom Perry with Electronic ignition. Both of Ralph and Tom are tops in converting engines and would be a great buy for someone looking for a good gas engine.
(I do not know either of the sellers)
Milton
Old 10-04-2003, 09:31 PM
shenion

Super Sportster Bipe
Poulan Pro 50cc (was 46, replaced bad cyl/piston with 50cc Pro chrome cyl/piston..)
20-10 near 7k.
17lbs unlimited vertical.
67" Wingspan
C&H Ignition with Syncrospark
#144 carb (from Q-52.)

I got the 46cc from LawnStation.com. It was crap. Cyl was caked with carbon, air filter was completely clogged with sawdust, carb was gummed up, coil was intermittent. THIS IS REMANUFACTURED? The only part not replaced was the crank an bearings.

It will match my ZDZ-40 in power. It is fairly light, If I were to have the cyl machined, I could loose a few ounces. But I need the weight in the bipe (already have 1.25" standoffs to help balance.

We have 4-5 at our field. All run great. Magneto ones need electric starter to start (hand flipping is difficult.)

BTW, the spring starter from a Quadra 42/US41 (1/2") will fit the rear shaft. I almost used one, but when I found the coil was also bad, I oped for the C&H.

One at our field was converted by Ralph (RCIGN.) Excellent job and runs great. Funny, today we looked around and we had a hard time finding someone at our field in GS that did not have an engine, built, converted or miracuously revived from a horrible death by Ralph for an unbeleivable low price.

BTW, I ordered the wrong part for mine. I have a piston kit for the Poulan 2500/2600 (piston , ring, pin and bearings. Part # 530-069454. I beleive it is for a 40cc. Anyone wants it, let me know.
Old 10-13-2003, 01:19 PM
bckyrdbshr
My Feedback: (35)

Mr.Pipercub.... Or anyone that might know where can I pick up one of the Poulan 3ci (48cc) engines at.??? The only one I found was this one .42cc / 2.6 c.i. engine and smallerI to am going to be building a Lanier cap232 and would like to use the (48cc) engine

Thanks in advance.
Old 10-14-2003, 05:57 AM
AutoMike

Monkeybone, I have two poulan 3ci engines, one I'm converting and have it nearly done and the other is still in the saw. Yes I intend to sell the second one. I'm using this motor in the same plane you plan to also. Piper
Old 10-17-2003, 10:47 AM
eitm4471

Mr.pipercub, If you are selling one, how much? How much does it weigh? What prop will it spin?
Old 10-17-2003, 01:29 PM
AutoMike

I havent got the one im converting to the ready to run stage yet. maybe another week or so. Since its a 48cc I expect numbers the same or a small amount better than the 46cc you see posted in the threads here using the same prop as recomended for the 46cc. Now, the other motor is in a fully working saw thats in great shape and I want $75 for it.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Bz77814.jpg
Views:	21
Size:	18.2 KB
ID:	68253  
Old 11-04-2003, 01:00 AM
Swat Cop

I mounted my Poulan 46 on my Dave Patrick Edge 540 tonight. I ordered a 3"long prop hub from Ralph Cunningham at RC Ignitions and it fits PERFECT. What a great guy to deal with, he has answered many technical questions for me, I ordered the extended prop hub and he sent it out ASAP and just billed me for it.

With the extended prop hub the Poulan 46 fits almost entirely inside the cowl of the Edge. I was concerned about the prop hub being too long and having to extend the cowl forward but the cowl is predrilled and with the factory holes the prop hub extends 1/8". I am still waiting on my Bisson muffler to arrive hopefully this week. All I have left to do is fuel proof the firewall and install the radio gear. I have to work this weekend but hopefully I will have a flight report by the following weekend.

Name:	Hf99294.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	30.6 KB
ID:	72297   Click image for larger version

Name:	Up47501.jpg
Views:	13
Size:	30.5 KB
ID:	72298   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bg92158.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	35.1 KB
ID:	72299   Click image for larger version

Name:	Uo35146.jpg
Views:	14
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	72300  
Old 11-15-2003, 09:52 PM
Swat Cop

If anyone is looking for a converted Poulan 46, the above engine is for sale. It was converted by RC Ignition. I was going to put it in the DP Edge but after talking to Dave Patrick and seeing one with a Moki fly I have decided to sell the above engine, ignition, radial mount, 1 1/2" prop hub and a 3" prop hub and a NEW Bisson inverted pitts muffler. The engine ran great on the test stand, never flown. I have nothing to put it in so I am going to sell it looking for $300.00 with the above items the muffler alone was almost $100.00. If anyone is interested let me know.

[email protected]
Old 05-19-2004, 11:09 AM
eball
My Feedback: (37)

I can't believe he talked you out of using the Poulan. I think the poulan would have done great, but some people can't handle not running a "name brand" engine in their airplane. I'm not trying to stir up anything, I just wish you would have gone forward with the poulan and given it a chance. I have a poulan 46 on a Kangke Texas Hurricane it is a fantastic match! I am still tweaking on the setup, but with a 20x10 prop spinning 7000 rpm the plane flies great. I am going to try a cut down 18.5x10 tonight and see how it works. The smaller diameter prop on the poulan REALLY brings it to life. Throttle response is now instantaneous. Hope you didn't sell the Poulan and ended up running it!!
Old 05-19-2004, 04:10 PM
Swat Cop

Actually six months later I now. I flew it for five months with a Moki 2.10 and it flew great when the engine decided to run well but it was very tempermental and required a pump to keep from going lean when vertical.

I switched to a ZDZ 50 but I have had some issues getting it to run right. I have had three dead sticks and got some minor damage on the last one. I can't figure it out. The engine runs good, the transition is a little rough around the lower part of mid throttle but not bad. One deadstick occurred while doing a flat spin but the other two occurred while flying flat and level. No sputter, no burble it just unexpectedly quits. I am wondering if it might be overheating or maybe the ignition module is getting too warm or maybe its getting and intermittant air bubble in the line. I am not sure. Its not the fuel because I am running the same fuel in my ZDZ 80 and it runs fine. If anyone has any suggestions I am all ears. Here is a pic of where the ignition module is mounted and I don't think its too close to the muffler but maybe it is.

Name:	Bz79433.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	33.7 KB
ID:	134095   Click image for larger version

Name:	Bw72945.jpg
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	134096  
Old 05-20-2004, 08:09 AM
eball

Hey, How's it going? I didn't figure anyone would still be following this. Your symptoms sound almost identical to what happened to me. I had the new poulan with a CH Electronics syncro spark ignition on a Kangke Texas Hurricane and had the maiden flight about a month ago. I had two flights that resulted in dead sticks. Each flight it was five minutes in and the engine just died. I would also have a heck of a time getting the thing to restart once it got hot. I was worried that I had milled the fins down too much and that the engine was overheating. I took the plane home and did a little research and found out that CH had some problems with a component in the syncro spark unit being heat sensitive. This is very easy to verify. Pull your spark plug while everything is cool, ground the plug to the engine and check for spark. Pull your ignition loose and heat with a heat gun (I used my covering gun). I heated mine uniformly on the hight setting for about a minute. Check for spark again. Mine had no spark so I sent it back to CH and got it fixed. Everything is great now. The engine usually starts first flip and I haven't had a dead stick yet. One thing that might help setting the needles a little easier is propping down a couple of inches. On the high end I find where it is just barely too rich to rev out (the engine blubbers and doesn't want to get on the "pipe") and close the needle 1/4 turn from there. Make sure the engine will rev out properly. Find the highest idle point with the idle screw and open a 1/4 turn. Make sure the transition is good (it should be instant with a smaller prop). Go back to your original prop size and try the thing out. You might be able to get away with running the low end a little leaner, but rich shouldn't hurt anything and it should still idle well. The ZDZ 50 ought to make a great engine once you get it sorted out. If you're ever in question on how rich or how lean you're running, pull the plug after a flight. Black is bad, white is bad, light to dark tan is good. I hope this helps. Let me know how things turn out.
Old 05-20-2004, 03:20 PM
Swat Cop

Eball, thanks for the info I am going to try heating the ignition module tonight. I suspected that might be my problem but I would have never thought to check it that way. I will let you know.

Kevin
Old 05-21-2004, 07:02 AM
Tauri Flyer

Interesting info! My poulan 46 is giving me the same grief,,5 min run and then it shuts off just like someone threw the switch off...After dead stickin the landing I get no spark,,for a while,,then everything comes back to life. BTW the poulan 46 ios awsome in a GSP Katana 140! Hovers at 1/3 throttle and still flys "lite"
Old 05-21-2004, 08:02 AM
eball

The threads I have read about hot start problems with the CH electronics ignition state a certain date of syncro spark units; My ignition did not fall into the given date period, but still had problems. The people at CH electronics are very easy to deal with and gave me absolutely no grief about fixing the ignition, but I still wish I didn't have to go through the problems. I believe bike466 has a Falkon ignition on the ZDZ, but they very well could have gotten ahold of the same component that has been heat sensitive (send that sucker back if you are the original owner). This problem had me extremely frustrated and made me doubt all of my tuning skills. Now everything is working as it should. Starts first flip nearly every time and runs like a top!! Good info on the GSP Katana! The Hurricane flies great, but I'm not sure the Poulan has enough juice to make me really comfortable hovering. I like planes to rocket out of a hover because it's just that much safer if things (myself) get all messed up. I would be interested in any other recommendations that would have near TOC like power with the Poulan. I hope you guys find your problems. An alternate to the heat gun would be to land the plane after dead stick and check for spark. If the spark is anything but a big blue arc, you've got ignition problems.
Old 05-21-2004, 10:08 AM
eball

Tauri Flyer,
Tell me more about the Katana; I have researched it a little bit and for $200 it sounds like it can't be beat. I've got a Saito 91 that was going on a UCD 46 and now I'm thinking about selling the new saito on Ebay and buying a Katana for the Poulan 46. Does the Katana want to fall out of the sky on a final turn when setting up to land? How well would the gas powered Katana do in a dead stick situation? How about a flat spin with a dead stick 100 ft up? What prop are you using on your Poulan? I did a little testing this week and used a 20x10 zinger pro cut down to to 18.5x10 and a zinger 18x10. I had previously been using a MA 20x10. The poulan really came alive with the smaller props and had terrific throttle response, BUT after testing the two smaller zingers I threw the 20x10 back on and the Poulan pulled more in Up lines, so I think I'll end up sticking with the 20x10 for now. Maybe I'll have to try a 20x6-10 and see how that works. I'd love to hear more about the Katana!! Who has the best deal on them now? Chief Aircraft?
Old 05-23-2004, 02:28 PM
fwman1
My Feedback: (22)

6800 on a Pro Zinger 20-10. Ryan's Rebel w/ two piece wing.

Name:	Qo39648.jpg
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	135360  
Old 05-23-2004, 04:16 PM
Tauri Flyer

E-Ball
Bought my Katana locally from GSP. I have the older style wing,,Short wing tube and shear webs that run the wrong way!,,,Been detailed here in several forums. If you order a Katana insist on getting a kit with the new style wing,,,This wing has a longer tube,,,28-29 in.
As to the flight charictaristics,,,I'm still sorting things out and I'm also contending with a flakey ignition, but I'm happy. Power is awsome with the Poulan on a 20X10 MA prop. 1/3 power hovers and full lifts it right up out of a hover. While a 1.60 glow would fly "lighter" the poulan certainly doesn't overwieght the plane. With the servos tail mounted the plane balances well with the poulan. Can't say much yet about 3D ect. Since I'm being conservative with the ignition problems. But so far it seems real solid in the pattern. I've kept the landing pattern a little on the hot side until I see just what I can get away with. BTW I'm REAL happy with the 46 Good smooth power, exellent response and it idles so slow I can damm near read the writting on the prop.