Notices
Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

This Long Shaft!

Old 11-30-2003, 06:48 PM
rcglert

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default This Long Shaft!

Hello all,

I have converted a little weed eater engine....that is all except one thing - that loooong shaft. What should I do with it? Can I cut it shorter and cut threads to create a threaded prop shaft? I have a Kioritz engine that will have the same issues when I get around to converting it. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Tom
Old 11-30-2003, 08:05 PM
w8ye
My Feedback: (16)

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default RE: This Long Shaft!

Tom, you are correct, go for it. Run a die over the shaft to thread it. The prop dive hub will actually just be a spacer.

Jim
Old 11-30-2003, 09:37 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you cut the shaft with the engine assembled, be careful that you don't get the shaft too hot as it will damage the seal nearby.

Good luck,
AV8TOR
Old 12-01-2003, 11:07 AM
rcglert

I thought I would use a hack saw and wrap some wet rags around the area where the seal is.

Tom
Old 12-01-2003, 11:34 AM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yes, that will work. The shaft is not as hard as most people think, and is "hack sawable". I sometimes use a dremel with a cut off wheel, and go slowly. On some of the engines I do, I need to cut the shaft off in the back and if I cut it with a hacksaw it leaves a good bit sticking out to grind off so it is below the level of the crankcase to airplane mounting area.

Good luck,
AV8TOR
Old 12-01-2003, 01:43 PM
w8ye

I'm not sure what's going on here but I thought he was talking about the longer shaft on the flywheel end of a weedie that was used to accomodate the clutch on some models? The point where you cut this long shaft off is close to 3 inches away from the seal.

The concern about heat getting into the seal concerns the double ended engines (mostly chain saw types and I think the Kioritz he was talking about) whereby there is a shaft sicking out the back end of the engine that must be sawn off.

There's another tidbit and that is on a Homelite 25 for example, there is a different flywheel on the long shaft engine compared with the short shaft. Being as one has a 3/8" shaft and the other a 5/16", The taper on the crank is a different size. The flywheels will interchange but it causes the flywheel to be too far forward or backward depending on which way you are swapping parts?

Enjoy,

Jim
Old 12-01-2003, 05:51 PM
Mitty

w8ye,
Correct me if i am wrong[sm=rolleyes.gif] but i though that flywheel rotates clock-wise,and prop suppose to be mounted on the oposite side of the flywheel in order for prop to spin the right way,counter-clockwise that is.At least that's how it is on my weedeater 26 cc engine that i riped out of weedeated.The clutch is mounted on the oposite side of the flywheel and thats where i am planning on mounting prop.
Mitty.
Old 12-01-2003, 06:30 PM
w8ye

Sorry to cause confusion here. You've made a good point.

I was referring to the Homelight - Ryobi 31 - McColloch 28-32 - Weed Eater 18-21 - Homelite 33 thru 45 chain saws and the Poulan 33 thru 60 cc chain saw engines that I own. From the way you are discribing your Weed Eater 26, your assumptions are correct.

I'm not familiar with the Weed Eater 26 engine. I'm sorry, I go around the discount stores keeping a eye on the weed whackers, blowers, and chain saws but for some reason, I've never come across a Weed Eater 26? I have seen some double ended Sthils at the local hardware store but was never able to check one out very closely. There is a dealer near by that sells Kioritz (very well made and I've looked at cut aways but for some stupid reason never gave any thought to the direction of rotation.) but after seeing the prices of the Kioritz, I didn't go back and that was 4 years ago. I'm normally not in a position to come across a used Kioritz which may be more affordable?

All the engines I've been involved with, all rotated in the correct direction on the flywheel end. There's a lot of double ended ones out there that I havn't seen taken apart or evaluated which way they turn? I'll make it a point in the near future to evaluate the double ended Sthils and Kioritz engines in order to keep from getting my foot in my mouth again? I perfer to be correct in what I say as everyone else does.

Jim
Old 12-02-2003, 09:12 PM
Mitty

w8ye,
The weedeater,that i took the 26.6 cc had "xr-70 high preformance" on it so i guess model is xr-70.

Mitty
Old 12-02-2003, 09:49 PM
w8ye

Mitty,

I've noticed that the weed whacker business has gone through some serious changes in recent years. It does appear that the Weed Eater brand has been the only stable one and that they have picked up some market share.

I didn't go around reading the specs but all the Weed Eaters I've seen around here appeared to be 21's. I have three of them. A hedge trimmer, My wire's personal whacker, and one that I converted for model use. They perform very well as originally intended.

I was just notcing the Weed Eater 25 nearby and it sure looks like my 21's? Maybe I've been seeing bigger engines and didn't know it?

Jim