Notices
Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

gas fuel with glo plug no ignition

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 01:54 PM
cfaw10

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: gas fuel with glo plug no ignition

It's brand new. I've only ran about a half gallon of gas/glow on it.
Old 05-24-2007, 02:03 PM
Ralphbf
My Feedback: (27)

I'd still try another one,even a different heat range.

I start mine off with a OS #8

Some times poop happens and you just need to adjust and go on.
Old 05-24-2007, 02:12 PM
cfaw10

I'll pick up a # 8 and try it.
Old 05-24-2007, 02:32 PM
Ralphbf

The reason I use #8's is to break the engine in, then I switch to O.S. type F 4 stroke plug.

It is not uncommon for the 1st plug to go bad very soon.
Old 05-24-2007, 02:41 PM
RysiuM
My Feedback: (1)

Now the glow plug adapter is fixed - no leak at all. It looks like compression is tighter too.
You guys got me thinking about the glow plug. I noticed, that after running pure gasoline the glow plug was not shiny any more (the coil was white - kolor kind of old aluminium, not shiny like a stainless steel). So maybe my glow plug is not the best in the worlsd any more. therefore before I start playing with different methanol content I will get the new OS plug.

Also I noticed, that my engine runs with both needles setting quite close to original gasoline setting. This is with almost 30% of methanol in the fuel. So I'm sure I will be able to find right setting for fuel with more mathanol in there.

Considering "gas mileage" I wanted to estimate, how much fuel I would need more is I substitute gasoline with methaol. Taking that the engine is twice more thirsty for the glow fuel than gasoline here is my estimation (maybe someone can confirm that).

Standard mix 10/10 (1 of 10/10 glow fuel and 2 of gasoline)
Methano = 26.7%
Gas = 66.7%
Oil = 3.3%
Nitro = 3.3%
Estimated mileage = 87%

My mix 15/18 (1 of 15/17 glow fuel, 1 of methanol, and 4 of gasoline) - very close to standard 10/10 mix
Methano = 26.8%
Gas = 66.7%
Oil = 3.0%
Nitro = 2.5%
Estimated mileage = 86%

Try "lean"mix 15/18 (1 of 15/17 glow fuel, and 5 of gasoline)
Methano = 11.2%
Gas = 83.3%
Oil = 3.0%
Nitro = 2.5%
Estimated mileage = 94%

Try "fat" mix 15/18 (1 of 15/17 glow fuel, 2 of methanol, and 3 of gasoline)
Methano = 44.5%
Gas = 50.0%
Oil = 3.0%
Nitro = 2.5%
Estimated mileage = 78%

Notice, that even with almost 50% of methanol the "mileage" should be more than 3/4 of the original gasoline tank. That means if you run 8oz of gas, you should get the same run time from 10 oz gas/glow mix (and a little more power).
Old 05-25-2007, 02:00 AM
RysiuM

TO AV8TOR: - You mentioned Maxx Products Glow Clip. I just got one. Very nice looking and quite smart locking. However it can't fit inside glow adapter (glow plug is to deep). How did you get around it?
Old 05-25-2007, 08:44 AM
KI8FR

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: RysiuM

Now the glow plug adapter is fixed - no leak at all. It looks like compression is tighter too.
You guys got me thinking about the glow plug. I noticed, that after running pure gasoline the glow plug was not shiny any more (the coil was white - kolor kind of old aluminium, not shiny like a stainless steel). So maybe my glow plug is not the best in the worlsd any more. therefore before I start playing with different methanol content I will get the new OS plug.

Also I noticed, that my engine runs with both needles setting quite close to original gasoline setting. This is with almost 30% of methanol in the fuel. So I'm sure I will be able to find right setting for fuel with more mathanol in there.

Considering "gas mileage" I wanted to estimate, how much fuel I would need more is I substitute gasoline with methaol. Taking that the engine is twice more thirsty for the glow fuel than gasoline here is my estimation (maybe someone can confirm that).

Standard mix 10/10 (1 of 10/10 glow fuel and 2 of gasoline)
Methano = 26.7%
Gas = 66.7%
Oil = 3.3%
Nitro = 3.3%
Estimated mileage = 87%

My mix 15/18 (1 of 15/17 glow fuel, 1 of methanol, and 4 of gasoline) - very close to standard 10/10 mix
Methano = 26.8%
Gas = 66.7%
Oil = 3.0%
Nitro = 2.5%
Estimated mileage = 86%

Try "lean"mix 15/18 (1 of 15/17 glow fuel, and 5 of gasoline)
Methano = 11.2%
Gas = 83.3%
Oil = 3.0%
Nitro = 2.5%
Estimated mileage = 94%

Try "fat" mix 15/18 (1 of 15/17 glow fuel, 2 of methanol, and 3 of gasoline)
Methano = 44.5%
Gas = 50.0%
Oil = 3.0%
Nitro = 2.5%
Estimated mileage = 78%

Notice, that even with almost 50% of methanol the "mileage" should be more than 3/4 of the original gasoline tank. That means if you run 8oz of gas, you should get the same run time from 10 oz gas/glow mix (and a little more power).

On your lean"mix is has alot less Methano in it.. Did your engine run with that low of methanol? I was going to play with some ful mix and run more gas with 15/17 gow fuel. that was on of the things I was going to do... I see you tryed it.. how did your engine run?
Old 05-25-2007, 10:05 AM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The remote glow plug connectors can be a tight fit. I allow a bit more room in the glow plug adapters around the glow plug than the ones you buy ready made have, but you have to be careful as the shell gets pretty thin. I had one of my home made adapters break in two when I tightened it into the head as I made the center hole too big and the shell got so thin it broke. I used two ready made adapters on my new twin, and the fit is tight but I can get them hooked on with the help of pliers. You might try machining the opening slightly larger, or perhaps try two plug washers on the glow plug to raise it up a touch if your connector can't be "persuaded" with pliers.

AV8TOR
Old 05-25-2007, 10:29 AM
RysiuM

AV8TOR: On the picture of your running twin (awesome) I see the glow clips locking type (same as I used). But how (if any) did you get around the Maxx Products clip. It has the shape of "pipe" with the wire going out from the side of the clip. I can not put it in because the glow plug adapter (converted spark plug) gets in the way of the wire.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx71340.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	41.1 KB
ID:	691136  
Old 05-25-2007, 10:34 AM
av8tor1977

If I remember right I was going to buy one of those from Maxx Products, and then later changed my mind. If yours is a homemade adapter perhaps you could cut down the outer shell to allow for the 90 degree bend in the connector???

AV8TOR
Old 05-25-2007, 11:03 AM
cfaw10

Another thought on my transition problem---maybe my carb's too small???
I don't think it's a plug problem since I have a good idle, but since it takes considerably more methanol than gas, maybe I'm not getting enough through the jets of my 11.1mm walbro on transition. What size carbs are you all running on your 33 and larger saw engines? Again, I have a great idle, top end, and even a fairly smooth midrange. Just wants to lean way out on a quick transition.
Old 05-25-2007, 12:29 PM
RysiuM

I see. I was thinking about cutting of one of the hex sides. It will not weaken the glow adapter and the remaining hex sides should have enough material for the wrench. Here is the picture of my adapter (made form a gutted spark plug).

BTW I like this Maxx Product adapter (as a general idea). It has rubber boot with connector inside. It the locking machanizm doesn't work right (not sure about the contact) the wire connector can be replaced with the type like used on the spark plug. Rubber boot gives electrical insulation and wraps around the glow plug preventing the wire from slipping out.

Name:	Db86438.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	77.4 KB
ID:	691178  
Old 05-25-2007, 01:26 PM
KI8FR

I thought I would do somthing just for the fun of it.. I have a old jonson chane saw were the the mag brke off 2 or 3 years ago. It is a 67cc engine.. (I think it is. that is what it has on a plate but hard to read.) I was going to convert it for a plane but the saw part of the thing is grate shape.. So I put a gow plug in it to see if it would work.... IT DID.. it was fun... started on 3 pulls little tweking on the carb and cut some wood with it.. It quit alot but it did work.. It was fun..

Just though I would put this in there.. I will have to try it out on a 4 stroke for the fun of it just to see if it will work. I think I just have to much time on my hads lol

Now I know that gas/glow will work on the jonson I think I will get this engine converted soon.. I will just have to go out and get a plane for the enging...

Paul
Old 05-25-2007, 08:08 PM
captinjohn

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You could mill the whole hex off and leave a flat circle with 2 small holes drilled in for a home-made spanner wrench. Just another thought. Capt,n
Old 05-26-2007, 11:23 AM
RysiuM

That is called "thinking our of the box" Capt'n I would say "briliant"

However did it the way I described above and it works OK. There is enough "meat" for wrench. The rubber "boot" is quite tight between the gas-glow adapter and glow plug preventyng the connector from falling out. I think it will be OK for remote glow for starting - not surre about the precision control from Nelson driver (but it is history now, I canceled the order anyway ). This might be a type of connector when you don't want a glow plug wires sticking out (easier to hide inside the cowling). Here are the pictures of cut adapter.

Name:	Om33459.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	691597   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ie98037.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	52.1 KB
ID:	691598  
Old 05-26-2007, 11:40 AM
Ralphbf

To me this seemed the cleanest way to go.

I thought $14.00 for the set up was a little much, but it's simple,
straight foreward and proven.

Name:	Gd93758.jpg
Size:	53.4 KB
ID:	691608   Click image for larger version

Name:	Pk31448.jpg
Size:	56.3 KB
ID:	691609  
Old 05-26-2007, 12:43 PM
cfaw10

What size carbs are you guys running on your larger engines? Is an 11.1mm too small for a 33 on gas glow?
Old 05-26-2007, 01:00 PM
Ralphbf

I'm going to run a carb. with a 14.27mm venturie.
I'm going with this carb because this engine was ran with this carb from BME.

"Is an 11.1mm too small for a 33 on gas glow?" If your trying to squeeze every rpm out of it, I don't know.

In general smaller carbs are better all a round. Better economy, better transistion and better mid range.

I would run it, at least see what it does. It can't be that far off.

Old 05-26-2007, 06:32 PM
RysiuM

I just got back from MASM lying field where I could run my engine without disturbing neighbours. The results i got are at strange.

First run "fat" fuel which is over 44% methanol. The engine run OK, but not a real screemenr. I had problem adjusting carburator as when I set the idle rich enough for reliable run, the high end needle had to be almost closed. The maximum power I recorded was around 7400rpm. Rhere were not much difference between powering the glow plug or not. Hand start was doable by flipping the prop 10 or so times. There is 50-50 chance the engine will run backward. At some point the glow plug started to loose ignition - I replaced it with the new one and the engine run again. I run whole fuel tank (6 oz) through the engine. The only problem I had was transition. Like someone reported before, the engine didn't go smooth from idle to full power. It happened few times that it died because of rappidly opened throttle.

Then I changed the fuel to "lean" (11% methanol). Like I expected the engine run rough withoit glow plug powered. On both ends - idle and WOT. So I kept glow plug on the battery all the time (about 1.5V). This time was able to tune the engine on both ends without the problem. Idle was steady without missing at all at around 1800 rpm. Even running idle for few minutes slamming o throttle caused engine to jump to high rpm. The high end was also steady peeked at 7600 rpm [X(] Believe it? It os more than running on "fat" methanol mix. Removing the battery from the glow plug at WOT caused engine to miss and drop in rpm to 6900.

So from all fuels I tested so far the "lean" mix is the best for power, carb tunning and reliability. Of course, the powering the glow plug is a big minus. I need t test again the regular "AV8TOR" fuel (27% methanol).

The last test I did changing the prop for APC 16.5 x 5W. I found this prop loads the engine exaclty the same as my MA 16x8 Classis. It just makes more wind

I'm getting closer to finding a right setup for my Seagul harier 3D.
Old 05-26-2007, 08:18 PM
Ralphbf

Av8tor

I believe you have a Toro on Gas/Glow.

I need a glow adapter for the small spark plug.

Any Ideas where to pick one up at?

I just got my Toro back from Scott at Brillelli and it sure looks good
But I don't have a glow adapter[>:]

A 1/4 32 tap is hard to find around here.
[/quote]
Old 05-26-2007, 08:22 PM
Ralphbf

Old 05-26-2007, 09:47 PM
KI8FR

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=ZEN23445

This is a grate place to get one. The part # is on here to so you can get you hobby shop to get one
Paul
Old 05-26-2007, 10:36 PM
RysiuM

Now back to square one. Darn.[:@]

I mixed another batch of fresh fuel. This time it was "AV8TOR fuel" (27% mothanol, 2.5% nitro, 3% oil, rest is Chevron premium grade gasoline). I put brand new OS F plug. Fired that thing up. Here are the results.

Carb low-end setting must be few turns open. I mean it is much more open than for "lean fuel".
Carb high-end setting must be almost closed (1/4 turn). Otherwise it runs to rich. It would run with closed high end, but then transition suffers.

Idle at 2000 rpm with engine missing periodically. When connected the power to the glow plug rpm went up and missing stopped. I could go as low as 1900 reliable idle.
WOT at 7200 rpm, engine doesn't run smooth but no missing. Connected the battery and rpm went up to 7400 and very smooth run.

Transition was so-so. I mean it was not rappid, just didn't die, but hesitated a little. When battery connected transition improved a little, but still not as good as I had on "10% methanol" fuel.

The engine can be run on the plane like that, just not in the best plane in the fleet. Maybe I should really run it on 10% methanol and powered glow plug? This is the best power and reliability I got so far.

To AV8TOR: Did you notice increase of rpm when you connect power t glow plug when engine is running full throttle? Maybe it should be like that?
Old 05-26-2007, 11:51 PM
av8tor1977

It sounds like your mixture was a little lean with the high percentage methanol mix, and the carb couldn't flow enough fuel to prevent a lean stumble on the transition. I recommend going back to our standard mix.

Out of the engines I have running Gas/Glow, the only one that shows a slight drop in rpm with the glow power turned off is the Poulan 42cc. This generally means it could use either a touch more compression, a hotter glow plug, or a bit more nitro. I just don't worry about it as it runs great as it is.

There would be nothing wrong with running a good quality onboard "C" or "D" cell battery and keeping glow power on all the time. I was reading in another thread where some of the glow guys have been doing this on various engines. They swear the glow plugs don't burn out doing so, and they have really good performance. One guy said he has been doing so on one frequently flown engine for three years without replacing the glow plug.

One would have to experiment, but my thoughts are that this would allow use of the cheaper two stroke glow plugs in our applications as well. It still would have a lot of the advantages of light weight, low cost, simplicity, no interference, etc. It might be the answer for those engines that seem to have problems running without glow heat on Gas/Glow. I do notice that the mixture has to be more exact for good running without glow heat than with it on. Full time glow heat would make the tuning a bit easier for anyone having problems...

AV8TOR
Old 05-27-2007, 12:01 AM
av8tor1977

Just as an added "teaser" to my above statement, at the bottom of this page: http://www.cheapbatterypacks.com/mai...ells&chem=NIMH

is a 4500mah cell that is rechargeable, costs the same as ONE four stroke glow plug, and I estimate would run a glow plug full time for over two hours without field recharging.

AV8TOR

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.