Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Craftsman 37.7 cc, Convertable ??

It is a model # 636.795454. Has a Carb very similar to my old triumph bonneville. ( Amal I believe, float bowl, sliding barrel type throtle ) Probably have to fabricate a manifold and tap into crankcase for pulse to new Walbro. Any comments appreciated. Seems to be near new. It is called a "Brushwacker" by Sears.
    Aloha Les

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Craftsman 37.7 cc, Convertable ??

Hi Les! I have been looking at this post every day since posted and am wondering why there have been no replies. I sold one of these engines to an R/Cer in Canada and he is currently getting it ready for a boat. It should be done by now. If you like and he is agreeable I will send you his e-mail address.........Bob (farley9n)
    Bob

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks Bob, That would be great. A short story!! I got it from one of the guys at our local land fill along with 4 other weedies in various
    conditions. One is a Homelite 30 cc near new and the craftsman also near new. Gonna start cutting them down today

Thanks again for the reply, was wondering if I had something rare.
    Aloha,and merry Christmas......... Les

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi,
    I need one of these engines, but for it's original application. What did you ever do with it? I could get by withsome parts (cylinder, piston, rings, gaskets) if you know of anyplace to get them.
    Thanks for your response...K

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Les,
    I saw that you are on line, so I wondered if you had ever seen my post about this engine. I still need some parts. Can yu help?
    Thanks...K

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

K...........
    Just noticed your post. Wondering if it would be cost effective to ship parts from here in Hawaii. Have you tried Sears . They have a pretty good parts web site. I bought a new mower deck for our riding mower and it was quite reasonable. And cheap shipping!!! What parts do you need?
    The unit I have is still in tact and seems to be in near new condition. Almost a shame to tear apart for parts. It runs but I believe the carb is dirty from sitting around with old fuel.
    Aloha , Les

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi Les,
    Hawaii, huh? Hence the "Aloha" each time! I need a cylinder, piston, and rings, primarily. I have seen a good site on the unit, but due to the age, I'd be surprised if they still had the parts. I hadn't really checked the availability, because I had found your post during the same browsing session. My dad bought the thing brand new about 20 years ago, and it was the kickingest thing I've ever used for clearing paths through small saplings. Had a 10" steel saw blade on it. He seized the motor using it with a dull blade. I was SAD! I have almost tossed it in the trash a dozen times over the last 17 years, but I kept hoping for a miracle. At that time, the cylinder alone was $149.00. My parts would have totalled within about $50 of the new cost (around $325) of the whole unit. Didn't have the cash then, (nor now, really) but when I found the site the other day, the cylinder was "only" listed at $109. So far as shipping from Hawaii, I guess it's value would depend on what you wanted for the unit. Do you have the whold unit, or just the engine? How's the bore? Mine has a chromed bore, which is what I supposed made the cost go so high. Let me know what you might consider selling it for, and the weight, and I'll check on UPS costs. You may be right; it might not be worth it. I suppose I need to go ahead and check the availability of parts. I couldn't tell from the forum, but you might have been right here in Virginia near me! Let me know.
    Thanks for the reply...K

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yes you can. It says Hawaii right by your post. I just didn't see it, and you CAN'T see it from this reply page...K

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

K...........
    Sorry for not responding sooner, but I have been fishing lately, ( my job). Yes the unit is complete down to the shoulder strap.
    It seems to be in like new condition with little use. Have you checked parts prices yet? I am thinking 150.00 plus shipping.
    Could break it down and send it by mail for a cheaper shipping cost although it could take two to three weeks. Let me know and we can work out the details.
    Aloha Les

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Around here fishin' ain't a job; it's a sport! I haven't forgotten you, and I suppose $150 might not be too bad, though I had hoped for less. It really depends on the freight. I did dig up my old one, and am hoping to be able to determine exactly what I need, cost it (and more importantly, see what's still available) and weigh it for approximate shipping from HI to VA. 2 or 3 weeks isn't really going to make a difference. Remember, I've been waiting (or stalling, depending on your viewpoint) for 20 years!
    I'll be in touch, and soon, I hope...K

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hi,
    I have a Sears Craftman Model 636.795456 Brushwacker. I purchased it about 1973, but haven't used it in a long time. I started it up about a month ago, but I couldn't get it to idle correctly. It has been hanging in my workshop. The gas cap has the top out of it and I had put come plastic over it and screwed it down again. I think I quit using it when it leaked on me because of the cap. I just about threw it away and bought another one, but couldn't find one as big as 37.7CC the brush wacker that sears sells now is only 32cc and doesn't have a harness to fit over your back. I may have lost the bolt to attach the metal cutting blades, as it has a string holder on it now. Perhaps I could just sell it and buy a smaller one???

Thought I would pass it on for what it is worth.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Very interesting. Did you use it much? I assume you bought it new. The 37.7 cc difinitely made it a kicker, as well as possibly a killer, if you weren't careful! Is it complete other than the bolt? On a 1-10 scale, what condition would you rate it as? And, finally, what'cha want for it? I've realized I owe my Uncle Sam quite a bit more this year, so money's currently a little tight!...K

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

stringbean1955 Hi I do have BrushWacker 37.7cc complete (636-796234) The motor look like new and run fine, or anybody who is looking for a 37.7cc make offer USA only

(SOLD) [&o]

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm sorry I didn't get back to you sooner, but I just received notification of a new post today, and I haven't checked the site lately. I'm still in the market, but it obviously hasn't been high priority. My bad. Thanks to you (and others) that have replied. I assume that the SOLD note is from you...