Notices
Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

Walbro Ign systems??

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2004, 01:15 PM
Les Ward

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Walbro Ign systems??

Have any of you folks looked into the ign. systems offer by Walbro.
Looks like they may have something we can use , I.E. Adv/retard
http://www.walbro.com/
You need to click on handheld engines and go from there .
Looks interesting, havn't found any prices yet.
Aloha, Les
Old 03-07-2004, 01:16 PM
Les Ward

Default RE: Walbro Ign systems??

I am sorry make that portable gas engines.
Aloha, les
Old 09-12-2004, 07:04 AM
hblester
My Feedback: (3)

I agree looks real good I have a homelite 33 with the mb series ingition module just don't know which one. Does any one know how to find out and if the standard how & where can I get one of the ones with the big advance curve.
Old 09-12-2004, 10:33 AM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Walbro Ignition modules range from about $24 to $47...
They are just bolt on coils, so if the coil on your engine was originally bolted onto the housing instead of the cylinder they can't be used...These small engines run the same no matter how you control the spark, whether fixed at 28 or variable. There is nothing that can be done with the spark that makes any difference at all in performance, other than retarding the spark for easier starting...If the spark jumps the gap under compression the engine works..A 50,000 volt spark won't make the engine RUN any better that a 20,000 bolt spark..It might clear a flooded engine faster, but once running the engine doesn't care....
Old 09-14-2004, 06:41 AM
Tauri Flyer

I understand the voltage increase won't help much,,But what about the timeing curve in relation to easier starting? i.e. Will one of these ignition modules allow you to start ,,say a Poulan 46 by hand, without all the usual problems that the stock systems creates, such as back kick and throwing ones shoulder out of its socket trying to get enough speed on the flip! I added CH ignition to my 46 just to ease the starting. Would one of these modules solve the problem? If so which one?
Old 09-15-2004, 05:55 PM
hblester
My Feedback: (3)

I don't want to disagree with anyone about this, I understand how a battery powered ignition can give good spark just above zero rpm thus easier starting. I have also readed about mechanical throttle coupled advance sytems & electronic advance system that if i understand it correctly would also give a better idle & better transition. Would this walbro ing. module with the advance (actually retard) curve built into their cdi magneto ingnition modules & do the same. The info from the web site shows different modules with different advance curves and out puts what I looking for is what is the module part number for the different curves. All info would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Hubert