Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

i need to convert a weed eater engine into a rc plane engine, about a 35-45cc engine i need

Old 02-03-2004, 08:30 PM
jvanoy3

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default i need to convert a weed eater engine into a rc plane engine, about a 35-45cc engine i need

Hey every one,
i need to convert a weed eater engine into a rc plane engine. I am going to buy a engine but i have no clue what and how to convert it into a rc plane engine. I am puting it on a plane i built from scrach and i do not want to buy a gas engine all done for it because it is to much money and i spend to much money on this stuff now. Please help me
Old 02-03-2004, 10:30 PM
smokingcrater

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: i need to convert a weed eater engine into a rc plane engine, about a 35-45cc engine i need

you can find pre-converted engines for around $200 new, you will probably spend quite a bit more than that doing your own conversion, plus you need your own lathe, or pay someone to do the work for you anyway.

although not a promotion since I haven't fired it up yet, check out
http://www.gcbmrc.com/engines.htm

Michael sells a converted 25cc homelite for $212. I got mine in last friday, looks great, just have to finish the plane now! If you have access to a way to balance it, the flywheel could loose a little weight yet, might do that myself sometime. (fins could be removed and then rebalanced)
Old 02-04-2004, 12:00 AM
KenLambert

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback
Default RE: i need to convert a weed eater engine into a rc plane engine, about a 35-45cc engine i need

I sell A new ready to Homelite for 165.00 already just mount and fly thats shipped in lower 48 Kenneth
Old 02-04-2004, 12:33 PM
rsjr

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

james111v, what size is your airplane ? How much does it weigh ?
Old 02-04-2004, 01:47 PM
SchoolRoomSpads

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Buy a ryobi weed trimmer from harbor freight http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...emnumber=55008
they raised the price recently to $59.99.
Get a conversion kit off ebay for 26.00 and your set.
total cost for a new engine $86.00 plus s&h.
Put it on a Ultra Spad Stick
http://www.spadtothebone.com/SPAD/ultraspadstick/
and you got plane and engine for $100.00
Tommy
Old 02-04-2004, 04:54 PM
jstanton

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

I agree here with Tommy. Buy the Ryobi from harborfrieght. The one harborfrieght has for $59.95 is the short shaft version. You'll need to order a conversion kit from e-bay or I would contact Peter at www.wackerengines.com. Peter is a great guy to work with and he will not stir you wrong. He sells everything you'll need for weedeater conversions and he'll give you the right answers. I have ask him many questions on this Ryobi conversion and I have converted this short shaft model. With the parts I have gotten from Peter at www.wackerengines.com I am getting 7000 RPM with an 18x8 prop and the stock carb. I did buy his muffler and it also helped in getting me some more RPM. Total cost of a conversion kit for the short shaft model is $30.00. (Muffler is $25.00 more) Good Luck in your venture. I know you'll have a ball
Old 02-04-2004, 05:57 PM
Volfy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

Wait around for a while and the $49 sale will rotate back. http://www.onestopgardens.com/ has an ad for $49 Ryobi 31cc. Onestopgardens.com is a marketing arm of Harborfreight. This is a short shaft version. Having converted both long and short shaft, I am liking the short better. I agree that Peter Faith of WackerEngines is a great guy to deal with. I bought several Walbro carbs from him a while back.

IMHO, the best and easier DIY conversion is the CH Ignition kit for the weedies. For $119, you get all the parts required for an electronic ignition conversion - and NO machining required. You end up with a much lighter and compact engine to boot.

Also don't forget to check with RCIGN1 here also, though I'm not sure Ralph does Ryobi or not.
Old 02-04-2004, 09:40 PM
jvanoy3

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

thanks every one tommy i am actully building that ultra spad stick, how did u no. hehe I am still a little confused still but u all have help alot. thanks
Old 02-27-2004, 11:04 PM
buck1856

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

ive delt with ken lambert myself.i bought his parts and converted my ryobi i picked up at the dump, almost new engine, for free. the fuel line was broke in tank.anyway,with kens parts and a brand new 18x6 mas classic prop,my engine cost me $56.00. thats with the stock muffler.hes a great guy to deal with.
Old 02-27-2004, 11:37 PM
mikenlapaz

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

rkramer
Quote:
plus you need your own lathe, or pay someone to do the work for you anyway.
I disagree on needing a lathe; sure it would be nice but NEED, no.
In a pinch a large cutoff wheel chucked into a drill press and those fins can get shortened uniformly without a trip to machine shop. Muffler replacement is abit more challenging, engine for USStik will have a DIY no welds exhaust deflector which will fit without cutting the bottom out forward of firewall.

Got another one getting a larger carb for Kraut's UltraSpadStick which is in the works.

A sample of flywheel done as discribed.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig13491.jpg
Views:	886
Size:	46.5 KB
ID:	105799  
Old 02-28-2004, 01:47 AM
Volfy

Gallery
My Gallery
Models
My Models
Ratings
My Feedback

It isn't the fins that need a lathe, although it does do a very neat job. My very first conversion was a Ryobi and I just broke off all the fins with a pair of pliers and then ground them down smooth with a dremel tool. I had to rebalance the flywheel after that, but these weedie flywheels all need balancing anyways.

Actually it is the center part of the flywheel where the prop hub will seat against that needs turning. On mine, it worked well enough to run the engine without any machining, but the ridges on the flywheel didn't really allow the prop hub to seat properly. Plus, the flywheel was just a bit too thick. I ended up trashing the flywheel and went CH ignition. What a difference $119 makes! It took me 1/2 hr to bolt on the CH ign. and set the timing versus some 4-5 hrs working on the darn flywheel.

Search this Thread