Which engine could I use

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2004, 10:32 PM
2befast
My Feedback: (25)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which engine could I use

Hello all

I am looking for an engine. I will convert or get one of you fine master converts to do this job for me. Any way, I want to put this on a GP Christian Eagle. It should be at least be 46cc( it was tested with a Fuji 50 that is 46cc). The only other thing I would like to have is a rear exhaust. I'm don't care about brands, just as long as it runs good & strong.thaks for all the input. If the info comes from one of you that converts these engines...can I get a price?

thanks, Randy
Old 02-13-2004, 12:51 AM
2befast
My Feedback: (25)

Default RE: Which engine could I use

Hello All

I was hoping for some suggestions. Does this mean there are no engines that fit my requirements?

thanks anyway, Randy
Old 02-13-2004, 11:00 AM
rsjr

Randy,

If I had the GP Cristian Eagle I would use the homelite 45cc. I believe most of the larger conversions are side carb/exhaust layout so you would need a custom muffler. You know, the kind that wraps around the head and exits at the rear.

Just my .02 cents,

Ron
Old 02-13-2004, 11:35 AM
Volfy
My Feedback: (23)

I must have missed this thread. I have a Christen Eagle NIB (among a plethora of other ARFs waiting to get built) and I plan to put a Poulan 46cc on it. Mine is converted to CH Synchrospark and BCM Pitts and weighs right around 4lbs. Should fit entirely within the cowl except maybe the spark plug and the very top of the cylinder. Power is good - so far 7100rpm on a MA Classic 20x10 with about an hour total run time on the brand new engine. I would expect it to gain another 100-200rpm as it breaks in completely, but as is the Poulan 46cc should fly the CE just fine. Not 3D kind of power, but then I'm not a 3D kinda flyer.

To be fair, even though the Fuji 50 is roughly about the same displacement (46.5cc) as the Poulan 46cc, I was surprised that the Fuji is quite a bit more powerful and turns the same prop some 400-500rpms more. Perhaps the dual piston ring does help make more power. I am getting a Fuji 50 converted to CH Synchrospark and BCM Pitts for a friend of mine's GP 1/3 scale Pitts Special. Similarly equipped, the Fuji is about 1/2 lbs heavier than the Poulan. However, the Poulan still needs a set of motor mount so the difference is probably a little less.

I have the parts to put together another identical Poulan 46cc setup. That one will power the GP Patty Wagstaff. Poulan 46 is becoming one of my favorite midsize gassers - easy to convert, easy to mount, compact in size, parts readily available, cheap to replace, and makes good power.

Notice I said "cheap to replace". The replacement short block is cheap compared to a ready made gasser, but my setup cost total around $440:

Poulan 46cc - $130
CH Synchrospark conversion kit - $210
Bisson wrap around Pitts muffler - $100

You can go cheaper by staying magneto and/or using a less expensive muffler. Engine cost, of course, is variable depending on where you buy it. These days, I buy mine brand new from Lowes when it goes on sale and I have 10% off coupon. Just don't feel comfortable rolling the dice with refurbs any more.
Old 02-15-2004, 04:27 AM
cameron

What is the best source for brand new poulan 46's ?
I have seen the refurb engine at lawnstation, but I too would prefer a brand new engine.
Keep in mind that I would prefer not to have to pay shipping costs for all the useless saw parts all the way to Australia.
Therefor would much prefer engine only.
Thankyou
Cameron McDonald