Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Homelite XL Auto Oiling Saw (Updated - Finished engine and boat)

Hi. I recently picked up a used Homelite XL Automatic Oiling chainsaw. I'm not exactly sure what size the engine is. I want to convert it and build an airboat for it. It's more for the conversion than anything, I love small engines and have wanted to convert one ever since I started flying. Anyway, I was hoping someone might be farmiliar with the saw and know what size the engine is, or can tell me how to find out. I should mention that the engine looks a little different than most here, the carb is nearly opposing the cylinder, and it has a big chunk of aluminum on the back for the chainsaw bar to mount to and has the oiling thing built into that part. I'm assuming I'd need to cut that off, not really sure. It does have a Walbro carb on it with a butterfly choke built on it. I have the saw disassembled, so I can get a few pictures of the engine itself if it would help.

Thanks in advance for any help! Let me know if there is any more specific information you'd need.

Keith Luneau

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Homelite XL Auto Oiling Saw?

I was bored this afternoon, so I took a few pictures of the engine...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Qo38720.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	105.4 KB 
ID:	154577   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Rm36259.jpg 
Views:	6 
Size:	112.6 KB 
ID:	154578   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Va71354.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	119.6 KB 
ID:	154579   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Zs51666.jpg 
Size:	130.8 KB 
ID:	154580  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

That's a Homelite XL-10, 30cc or 1.8 cubes. Needle bearings on the crank. My crank would move fore and aft about a quarter of an inch while running. Around 6500rpm on a 18x8. The lower half of the case is magnesium and the grinding dust WILL catch fire very easily.

Name:	Vt56339.jpg 
Size:	36.7 KB 
ID:	154583  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Keith:
    Could also be an XL 2. Stick a popsicle stick across the cyl, through the the exhaust port. Turn the piston up to make a mark against the cyl. Measure from the end of the stick to the mark. XL 2 is 1 5/16 bore. displacement is 1.6 cu. in. or 26.2cc.
    Gord
    Dreamed I was a muffler. Woke up exhausted.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

flipflop and Flypaper 2, thanks for the information! I did what you said with the Popsicle stick and the bore is in fact exactly 1 5/16!QUOT!, so I'm assuming it's the XL 2.

Now for more questions... Have any of the smaller ones been converted that are lying around here? I searched a bit and dug through a few pages of threads, but came up short as of yet. Even if there are none floating around here, where might I find some information on how to do one myself? So far what I've gathered is that I mush cut the flywheel down, install a prop adapter and correct size prop, cut away excess material to remove weight, then figure out how to mount it up. I'm sure I'm missing allot there, and all the little details are still not with me, like what size prop would I use, what can I cut away without fear of damaging the engine and so on. Please bear with me, it'll be a learning experience for me, which means that someone will have to teach me.

Thanks again, i appreciate the help!
    Keith

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Keith:
    A fellow club member had one on a big bipe that worked well. It had an aluminum U shaped motor mt. that was bolted on those two bolts on either side of the motor. Bottom of the U was the firewall mount, about four ins. square. Triangular shaped on the sides tapered down towards the front of the motor. 16/8 prop would be a good place to start or buy a 18/8 prop and trim the tips down till you get between 7500 and 8000 rpm. Trim everything down except for the motor mount lugs.
    PS . The motor mt, if I remember right, was made from 3/32 hard aluminum. Hope this helps a bit.
    Gord

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You know, that engine mount sounds like a great idea! I've been thinking of how I'll mount the engine to the airboat. I'll have to swing by tyhe local machine shop and see what he's got in terms of U-channel that'll fit the motor. I'll also see if he can cut the flywheel down for me, I'm not to confident about getting it straight and balanced.

Thanks for the recommendation on the prop also. Now, will the $13 prop adapter sold at wackerengines.com for the Homelite short shaft engines fit? I might have the check and see what thread the crank is and see what the adapter is. If nothing else, the website says that custom parts are available, maybe I can get one in the correct thred if it isn't already.

Lets see, my dad paid $5 for the saw at a garage sale (broke recoil starter which I fixed anyway) and gave it to me, about $10 for a prop, $13 for an adaptor, I'm guessing another $10 or so for the u-channel.... I can see why you all like these engines so much!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I picked up one just like it, already converted, except for the prop adapter, with an aluminum mount(homemade, of course), for , IIRC 12 bucks. I can post a photo of the mount if you'd like. Engine seems to run well, though doesn't seem to have quite as much power as my later model Homie 25cc, though all I've done is run it on the bench, so far...... & yes, the wackerengines short-shaft adapter fits it perfectly, as that's the one I used.
    xvz12
    If it isn\'t broken......I haven\'t flown it yet.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

xvz12, a picture would be nice, but it's no hurry. I'm still unsure of what kind of "boat" I'll put it on, either a homemade flat bottom simple hull, or one of those knee boards that are used to pull behind real boats. I made one a few years back with a .35 glow engine on it, and it was waaay underpowered. Once I figure out which boat I'll use, I'll come up with a way to mount the engine.

Thanks for letting me know the adapter will fit. I just can't imagine finding a cheaper solution! Looks like I'll be placing an order for one soon.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Another thought, Keith. If your going to use the starter,the prop will have to run off the other end of the clutch side of the crank. Causes a few problems. The prop will run in the wrong direction. Need a reverse pitch prop. I think the thread on the PTO side is left hand pitch. Most adapters are made for the flywheel side. Muffler would probably need to be shortened up. Would be much more practical to run it off the mag. side and hand start it.
    Gord

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I plan on running it on the flywheel side, just like for airplane use. In the back of my mind, I keep saying that I might put it in a plane one day, but I doubt it. I got out of flying larger stuff a few years ago and stick to small electric stuff now.

About cutting the flywheel... What is the reason for doing it, other than reduced weight? I'm thinking that if it'll work without cutting it, I may try that first. I'm not concerned with weight at the moment, I just want to get a prop mounted on it and run it. I could always chop it in half later.

One more... The crankshaft on the other end of the motor where the clutch originally was is quite long. What do most people do about that? Would it be best to just let it stick through the mount and just spin free, or should I cut it off shorter?

I'm going to order a prop and adapter this week, then go from there. Thanks again for the help, I almost scrapped the project yet again, and just put it in the shed. Then I started looking around at other conversions and ran across you people here... I'm glad I stopped in to ask!

Keith

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Keith:
    Takes a bit of HP to drive the fan but I wouldn't worry about it for what you are going to use it for. Rear shaft can go either way too. Have fun.
    Gord

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Just wanted to make an update. I have got the engine block trimmed down of excess metal, ordered the porp hub (shipped first class today) and have the engine at the machine shop having an engine mount made up. They didn't have any U-channel that would fit, so the guy offered to weld me one up. Now all I need is to pick up a prop and wait on the hub, and we'll be in business!

I'll post a picture or two of the enine mount when I get it back.

Thanks again for the help!
    Keith

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I'm a little late now but the motor mt. can be just be cut from 3/32 aluminum sheet with a metal cutting bandsaw and bent to shape.
    Gord

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yeah, I thought about bending me one out of the 1/8" sheet I have here not doing anything. I went by there to see if he had some channel that would work, I just htought that would look better. He didn't, then we got to talking about it and he offered to weld 3 pieces together for me, so I said have at it. That was a few days ago, now he's swamped with paying customers and might not get to it soon, I may just go pick it up and make one myself.

I still need to get a prop for it, if I don't get to go to a hobby shop soon, I'll just order one from Tower, but $8 to ship a $10 prop is a bit steep... lol If only the hobby shops were closer... (there are two that are both over an hour away, in opposite directions)

I got a question about starting the engine. Do I just whip the prop over a compression stroke in the right direction then get out of the way? I'm a bit nervous about that part, I've been bitten by a .91 four stroke, and it hurts! I'd hate to do the same with this one.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Keith:
    Not a bad idea to get a leather glove till you get a handle on starting it. Just give it a good wack across compression, with the carb set just above an idle. Turn the motor over, with the ign. shut off , with your finger in the carb hole till your finger gets wet with gas, turn on the ign and give it a wack.
    Gord

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

It's alive!

I just started it for the first time. I'm happy to report that my regular 12V airplane starter cranks it over without hesitation. Other than idling it up just a tad, it ran like a top the first time I cranked it. The airbot it's in is about half way done. Once I get that completed, I'll be able to try it all out and see what it can do. I'm just happy that it all worked out so far and the engine runs! lol

Thanks for all the help!
    Keith

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Good for you. let us know how it works out in the airboat.
    Gord

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well, I finished up the boat and ran it for the first time today. I have to say that I am quite pleased with the results! The boat is quite heavy, and big, 47" x 18" built from 1/8" plywood. The motor pulls it around just fine. Here is a couple of pictures of the boat...

Name:	Tr51264.jpg 
Views:	8 
Size:	62.8 KB 
ID:	159639   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mi21815.jpg 
Size:	85.1 KB 
ID:	159640