Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Engine Conversions
Reload this Page >

(SU-31 Sukhoi) w Ryobi-31 ((Flight Report))

Community
Search
Notices
Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

(SU-31 Sukhoi) w Ryobi-31 ((Flight Report))

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2004, 04:10 PM
Broken

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default (SU-31 Sukhoi) w Ryobi-31 ((Flight Report))

Here is the result of the first two flights:

Flight # 1: Model was extremely tail heavy (so much for the instructions)
The engine after doing several ground checks seemed to sputter after a few minutes in the air. Possible causes -one way valve on vent line allowed fuel tank to pressurize as engine heat acted upon it. or Poor adjustment on my part But the engine never quit. A bounce on landing 'wish-boned' the landing gear. Flight time 4 min..

Flight # 2: Weight added to nose. Engine readjusted. Takeoff was again bothersome due to the continuing tail heavy problem. Engine was much better and a full power recovery was performed. Landing was perfect. In the short flight I did not hear any engine trouble like flight #1. Flight time 2 min..

Lessons learned so far:
Do not put check valve on vent line.
Do not turn flywheel (to save weight) until after model is balanced.

Before next flight:
Move engine forward 1/2 to 3/4" to reduce tail weight. and or move lead forward mount in extreme front inside of cowl.
Old 09-09-2004, 02:13 AM
mikenlapaz

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: (SU-31 Sukhoi) w Ryobi-31 ((Flight Report))

The small pic does not due your p;ane justice. The gallery pic is nice. Experimenting with some lead would give you an idea of how much the engine would need to be moved.....what does moving the engine forward due to prop to cowl relationship or is that not a big deal? I have no idea.

How was performance compared to the prior enginge?
Old 09-09-2004, 09:46 AM
Broken

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: (SU-31 Sukhoi) w Ryobi-31 ((Flight Report))

The prop is 1/2"in front of the cowl moving the engine another 1/2" forward will not change the look to much- Not enough to worry about anyway-....

The performance was comparable to the O.S. 1.60- But I am using a bigger prop. I am really looking forward to getting some long flights out of this plane so I can properly evaluate the engines performance. But so far I am happy with it.