Register

If this is your first visit, please click the Sign Up now button to begin the process of creating your account so you can begin posting on our forums! The Sign Up process will only take up about a minute of two of your time.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

RE: Briggs and Stratton 34cc Fource?

Flypaper has it exactly right regarding the negative pressure and what is called a crankcase vent. Some engines use a reed valve, some a spring loaded waffer. This one has a simple duck bill. The duck bill was originally up in the air cleaner. I just cut it off and reinstalled it directly on the crankcase vent. It also helps as an engine wears you will also get blow by on the rings. This blow by is vented out this duck bill vent so that you don't blow the seals off your crank. That is the general purpose.

Leo

ORIGINAL: Flypaper 2
    I believe the duckbill valve is used for the same purpose that a flapper valve is used on the lawn mower motors in the valve cover. Keeps negative pressure in the crankcase to keep the oil from being pushed up past the rings with pos. pressure. When the valve failed on the push mowers you couldn't see for smoke out the muffler.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Well, its done. I built the BalsaUSA Fokker DVII and mounted the Briggs and Stratton 34cc four stroke. It is an incredible combination. More then plenty of power (Who was it that said "Too much power is almost enough"?) Only complaint is that I never found a way to make a thinner carb spacer so there is a hurking big hole in the side for the carb to stick through. The plane takes off with a 25 foot roll out (I am not forcing it, just give a little up and away she goes) and flies faster than I have seen other DVII's with G26's. The sound......that is amazing. I love it. I have the same issue that Greg Hahn mentioned...you have to let the engine warm up before taking off. Especially now that it is getting really cold. I did make a mistake though, I dug out the mixture screw in the end of the carb barrel am messed with that, now I have lost almost 1000rpm on the engine and cant seem to find that "sweet" spot. [&o]
    Here are pictures of the maiden flight (without paint etc, just to make sure that the engine would work well enough in case I needed to move the firewall back for a better motor) and with paint (not done with detailing yet) Thanks for all the help from everyone that posted. I have a total of 138.00 into this four stroke gas engine, I love it.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Om34217.jpg 
Views:	9 
Size:	44.5 KB 
ID:	352166   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Dy79824.jpg 
Views:	14 
Size:	126.1 KB 
ID:	352167   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Gl21683.jpg 
Views:	12 
Size:	17.4 KB 
ID:	352168   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ys49272.jpg 
Views:	11 
Size:	32.6 KB 
ID:	352169   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Eq87444.jpg 
Size:	42.2 KB 
ID:	352170  

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Db85088.jpg 
Size:	56.3 KB 
ID:	352171  
    Scope? Listerine? Or Prop Wash?

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I blew the motor, this thread has the details

http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_35...tm.htm#3539242

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Does anybody that has one of these engines that can give me an update on how well the engine is performing? I am building a PT 19 and I am considering modifying one of these engines for it. Thanks

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

reliably 18/6@6400rpm. We built four of these. I blew the first but after looking at it long and hard (and getting a couple of small engine mechanics to look at it,) seems that there was a problem with the forged casing. The others are running reliably (sp?). We (not the royal we, a buddy and I have several of these motors) had to drill out the glue and brass BB that was plugging the high end adjustment needle at the end of the barrel. It is facing the prop so adjustments have to be made with the engine stopped. For the price (I picked up the first on the weedeater for 100.00 the second before it had been mounted on a weedeater for 52.00 shipped) it is a good conversion if you are looking for the sound. If it is power that you want, get a two-stroke. Hope this helped.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Prop Nut, thanks for sharing all the info on the BS Fource engine. I picked one of these up on eBay too and started looking around for the right airframe with a CG appropriate to this engine and plenty of lift, and I thought the Fokker DVII looked perfect, or in a monoplane, maybe the Junkers D1 (you don't see many of those). Crankshaft location looked pretty good too for a scale appearance and upright engine orientation.

When I first open the housing on my engine I was a bit alarmed at how heavy it looked, so I'm glad to hear the performance works out great on the DVII.

My engine has a short tapered shaft, so it may not be the same as yours. (tapered with keyway, where the flywheel fits on) I notice the Weedboss has two versions of it's trimmer using the Fource, one with clutch and one without. (Mine has no clutch). Is this the same engine you sourced?

I might be SOL here if I have the wrong engine. Do I need a long shaft version of this engine? The shaft protrudes not quite .75 in beyond the flywheel. Is the Wacker engines prop adapter made for this? THanks for any help.

PS Briggs recommends synthetic oil in this engine to prevent motor damage when running in ambient temps below 40 degrees F.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Yes, I learned about the sythetic oil, lol. I have been told that it was not the major problem though.

you have the right engine. The clutching is part of the housing, not intigral with the engine. The short shaft is the only one that I know of, you simply screw on a 5/16 prop hub. The homelite 33cc uses the same hub. Wacker engines has them availible.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks for your help! Ordering the hub today!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Prop Nut, Thanks I think I will buy one. I am more after the sound than power for this PT 19. It should be about 15-16 LBS flying wt. all together.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

You might look into the Honda Gx31 or the new Gx35, those are great engines also. Just about the same conversion.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Prop Nut......does the B&S use a 14mm or larger spark plug? If so, it is a candidate for glow conversion - losing some weight and producing more horsepower!

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

No idea, sorry. I am not a huge glow fan, dont know much about converting gas to glow. Sounds like a good one though.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The glow plug is not the problem, the carb is...It takes twice as much glow fuel...the carbs on these things are already almost too small...Not saying it can't be done....
    RC Ignition

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The reason I like Gasoline is the "no cleanup" issue, lol.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Guys,

thought I'd jump in here and make a couple of comments on the alky idea. Though it's a neat idea to run one of these (what ever brand) four strokes on alky, you'll be stepping into a real pandora's box. These engines are litterally a scaled down version of what's in your car so the same problems exist and will require the same mods to make work. Unless you like to tinker and maintain more than you like to fly, you'll be hard pressed to get much enjoyment from this fuel/engine combo.

Most two stroke gas engines don't run well on alky either, compression ratio is too low across the board. Alcohol must be squeezed to reap it's benefits.

GH

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Another good reason not to mess with my "Gasonline" engine I have no wish to make further conversions. If I wanted glow, I would buy a moki (I know the same reasons that I am converting weeder to airplane holds true, the money savings.) For me, I am not a fan of glow anyway so I will stick with cheap...er.....not as expensive gasoline.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Walk in the Park: Read more about glow engines....they are cool running and very powerfull. Just got to part with more $$$ for fuel. But if you convert a small engine for next to nothing....that goes a long way for buying glow fuel. Capt,n P.S. Mix your own fuel and save even more!!!
    I never met a engine I did not like !

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

I presume we're talking about methanol glow fuel here...An otherwise stock G26 picks up 600 rpm using a WT499 carb and glow fuel...I guess that's not running well enough
    RC Ignition

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

A few people have asked me for an update so here it is. With spring here (sorta) I pulled the DVII out of storage and fired it up. Last Friday I took a flight and had a great time, its an easy flyer and sounds great. Today the weather wasnt so good to go to the field to fly but I thought I would post a video of how this thing sounds. Here is a picture of the DVII and the Sopwith Pup that I also built this winter.

Video Link: http://www.putfile.com/propnut
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Mk25319.jpg 
Views:	10 
Size:	46.0 KB 
ID:	431670  

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Woops, this link might work better;

http://media.putfile.com/Four-Stroke-Gasser

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Prop Nut,

You did a fantastic job with that plane! I couldn't see any of the B/S engine, and the way you did the exhaust makes the dummy engine look real! WHAT A SOUND! You should be really proud of that bird...

Gary

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Thanks Gary, I really appreceate it. A good friend of mine made the muffler for me. It looks and sounds great in the air.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Hey, I see that this is an older thread, but I have some questions. Does anyone think this flat head type engine has a better sound than an OHV type 4 stroke. I have been looking for a head only or reconditioned unit, and only find new for $170 up. Does anyone know about the MTD 4 strokes. Who makes the engine? Sam's Club has these with 26cc for $149. How would the power compare to the Fource?
    Thanks for any help.

Rod S
    Just Fly It.
    SIG Brotherhood # 99
    Kadet Brotherhood # 141

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

Rod,

You can buy a new Briggs Fource 34cc from Bryan Loftis at BsVWRabit@aol.com for around $80 including shipping within the US. I purchased one recently and it's being converted by Scott Ellingson of Brilelli before being shipped to me in the UK.

The Briggs conversion by Prop Nut as in his video certainly sounds great.

Maninder.

Gallery
    My Gallery
    Models
    My Models
    Ratings
    My Feedback

The Briggs sounds great, but not very powerful. The 26cc MTD is probably the Ryobi, not a bad engine but a little difficult to convert. A Honda GX35 might be the best way to go.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast