Notices
Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

ECHO SRM 140D Weedwacker

Old 01-08-2005, 11:26 AM
Zafer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECHO SRM 140D Weedwacker

Hi guys,

Today I got an old Echo weedwacker. It is written on it, that is made in Japan and Kloritz CORP. And it has walbro carburator WA46 B8 .

Do you have any idea what is the engine? Any specs and is it good for converting?

Thanks in advance.

Regards.

Zafer
Old 01-08-2005, 11:36 AM
Zafer

Default RE: ECHO SRM 140D Weedwacker

Two photos of that weedwacker

Zafer
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd93247.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	72.1 KB
ID:	212186   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rm36810.jpg
Views:	128
Size:	74.5 KB
ID:	212187  
Old 01-08-2005, 12:26 PM
mikenlapaz

Is there any number cast on the head, possibly flywheel side? My 21cc head has an 8. raised in casting.

Let's us know what you find when you open it up. You will probably have it running like the proverbial 'Swiss watch'

Do a search for Don't forget Echo it will give you some insight on Echo engines. Also seach for post by Av8tor he did a 17cc I believe.
Old 01-08-2005, 09:58 PM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Kioritz engines are lightweight and powerful, and normally good conversions. However, I'm sorry to say that yours is either a 14 or 16cc engine I am fairly sure. I did one of these a couple of years ago. I had done some hop ups to mine, so it had more power than originally, but it really is a small engine for a gasser. It flew ok on a 10 lb. airplane at sea level, but when I moved to an altitude of 4500', it was definitely underpowered. If you aren't too high in altitude, it would probably fly something similar to a Cub ok. Better to go to a larger engine all in all.

Sorry,

Av8tor
Old 01-09-2005, 07:48 AM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

SRM 140 D is 13.8 cc Hardly worthwhile, I'm afraid.
Old 01-09-2005, 11:20 AM
jkulhanek

ORIGINAL: Flypaper 2

SRM 140 D is 13.8 cc Hardly worthwhile, I'm afraid.

Yeah your right, I know this engine, i know a guy who built a motorised scooter with it, has litterally 1/5 the power of a G23ORC zenoah, he ended up replacing it with a zenoah motor. The head design of these earlier Echo's and the porting design yields low performance. Now the SRM140 lives on a motorised skateboard It's a shame, I always thought the SRM140 was a cute little motor

Years ago I had a gas scooter my old man made for me with an Echo SRM 190 (see attached pic) , that engine was 21.2cc and just didn't have much go, it was quite reliable, did 2500km (1600 miles) and cruised nicely along the flat at upto 39km/h, but had very low power and torque and would steadily lose RPM's on inclines, till I had to get off and push. Changing to a stihl slide carb helped but the whole engine design was never designed to be powerful.

You can tell this pic is old, by the wonderful quality of early digital cameras!

The engine was painted red to look pretty

Name:	Tr51190.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	60.5 KB
ID:	212667  
Old 01-09-2005, 01:26 PM
Zafer

Hi guys,

Thank you all for the replies. IT is good to know before I start working and spending on it. Since it was gratis no loss has been realized.

I understand that it is not wise to convert it since it wont be powerfull enough.
It seems that I have found another one on internet, before I buy let me have your opinions. It is a homelite F2020. I think it has a 25cc engine. What do you say. Is it powerfull enough (for 12-13 lbs), is it easy and cheap to convert?

Regards.

Zafer
Old 01-22-2005, 11:31 AM
Zafer

Hi again,

I broke the engine shaft today, when I was trying to get the flywheel out. I think I need to get some threads done on the remaining of the shaft. And maybe the shaft is very short now, I will not be able to use the flywheel. MAybe I need CH inginition ,but Since it is only 14cc. I think, it is not worth to spend extra money. It was just going fine.............. that happens you know..

Regards.

Zafer

Name:	Yw66459.jpg
Views:	127
Size:	67.3 KB
ID:	218865  
Old 01-22-2005, 11:56 AM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you HAD to get it going, what I have done is to drill and tap it and put a bolt in it instead of a nut. Fixed a lot of lawn mowers that way when customers got to happy with a hammer
Old 01-22-2005, 12:00 PM
Zafer

Flypaper,

Not a bad idea at all.

Thanks..

Zafer
Old 01-22-2005, 12:34 PM
ZAGNUT
My Feedback: (1)

instead of adding all the weight of ignition parts you might want to do a glow conversion with this engine. will also get you a bit more power than gas and a light weight glow engine carb would make it even more compact.

dave
Old 01-22-2005, 02:02 PM
Zafer

Hi ZAGNUT,

This is even better and ( different or unexpected ) idea, although it conflicts with my reason to go with gas engines (low cost and maintenance).

Anyhow, If I consider converting this engine to glow, What should I expect from it? Will it be reliable?

The prop size? Rpm?. Is it easy to find a spark plug-glow plug adaptor ready made, or should I make it custom ?

Do you have any experiance to convert gas to glow?

Thank you in advance.

Regards.

Zafer
Old 01-22-2005, 02:58 PM
ZAGNUT
My Feedback: (1)

CH ignitions has an adapter for glow plugs and making one yourself is also easy if you can find the 1/4-32 tap

the nice part is that you don't need the massive amounts of oil found in regular glow fuel, 5% oil should be just fine. nitro can also be a very low percentage or maybe even 0%. the engine will use about twice the amount of fuel for a given amount of running time but depending on how cheap you find the methanol and oil you might find it comes out about the same as gas. over here with the high price of gas (taxes[]) and the cheap price of bulk methanol (sold as a lacquer thinner) it costs me the same either way...another solution is to simply dilute your standard glow fuel with methanol

as for props i would say something like 14x8 or 15x6

dave