Go Back  RCU Forums > Glow Engines, Gas Engines, Fuel & Mfg Support Forums > Engine Conversions
Reload this Page >

turbocharged 25cc homelite whipper snipper

Community
Search
Notices
Engine Conversions Discuss all aspects of engine conversions in this forum

turbocharged 25cc homelite whipper snipper

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2005, 08:57 PM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: turbocharged 25cc homelite whipper snipper

How do the brgs. get lubricated?
Old 08-11-2005, 09:14 PM
Antique
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The world's first model airplane turbine, to my knowledge, was designed and built by an engineer in Arizona, Brian Seegers...He sent me some blueprints and needed some parts made..I made one end of the turbine..He didn't use it, he changed the design and made it much smaller...It was started by blowing into the end with a weed blower..The turbine wheel was to be from an automobile turbocharger, made from Inconel to take the extreme heat...The bearings were specially made, cost about $65 apiece, and were sealed, needing no external oil supply...If a turbine can be made using bearings like that, so could a turbo charger...But not in a housing made from tin cans
Old 08-12-2005, 01:08 AM
Willdo

Well, there's the old saying, " the proof of the pudding is in the eating" - I think I'll add to that and say " not in the pictures",
It's good to see someone with some imagination, but we're still missing the " proof of the pudding".
I'd say stick with the Pringles and forget the Bourbon. .
Old 08-12-2005, 02:28 AM
Crusty

OK, IMO an 18 year old isnot a child, making FALSE CLAIMS is not the way to present your ideas in a forum. I for one will make no allowences for such, mistakes yes we all do that
Old 08-12-2005, 08:55 AM
Rupurt

Car turbo's usually don't run on bb's and need oil pumped over the journals. This setup looks like it would run fine on skateboard bearings which are good for about 40krpm sealed(and may homebuilt turbines have run on them up to 75krpm with oil mist supply), I do doubt very much weather this turbo is achieving that rpm. I also doubt that the compressor is going to provide any noticeable boost in manifold pressure.

Tim, If you are interested in making your own compressor wheel you should get a copy of Kurt schreckling's book on building model gas turbines there are planes for the whole turbine which can be built for very little money provided you have the right equipment, anyway the compressor wheel is made from ply and reinforced with carbon fiber if built properly it can handle 75000rpm. The book also has information on difussors and you will understand why I say your compressor wouldn't produce a wothwhile pressure.

Here is a pic of the rotor from my current project, Next projects a turboprop for my 80" extra300

If you are interested: http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/...302116-4238818
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk26390.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	81.6 KB
ID:	309146  
Old 08-12-2005, 09:10 AM
Rupurt

Here is a pic of a diffusor that I made a mistake on while machining, altough they don't often use this type of diffusor on turbo's it may help to give you an idea of what you need. The compressor wheel is a 66mm KKK wheel.

Good luck

Name:	Xv63107.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	68.6 KB
ID:	309152  
Old 08-12-2005, 09:34 AM
Flypaper 2

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Turbo comressor wheel I used was from a Volvo. Schrecklings book is a learning experience by itself.
Old 08-12-2005, 09:58 PM
RTK
My Feedback: (1)

Old 08-13-2005, 12:50 AM
tim_n

Whipper snipper have lots of names like

edge trimmers
Brush cutters
Line trimmers
weed wasp trimmer

I call them whipper snippers cause I’m Australian mate. They mostly come in 2 strokes but they're starting 2 come out in 4 strokes now. Hope that has answered Ur question.
Old 08-13-2005, 03:42 AM
Ralphbf
My Feedback: (27)

How about a short video with sound.... Maybe 30 seconds worth.
Old 08-13-2005, 04:21 AM
Willdo

Sorry mate, - I was being a bit harsh, so I've edited my "rant" before the whole world sees it.
Keep on trying!
Old 08-13-2005, 05:01 AM
tim_n

Cheers[sm=thumbup.gif]
Finally some real help. Ruther than just dismissing the turbo as a big freaking joke. Thanks 4 the book going 2 help a lot. I have a new idea 4 the diffuser.
Old 08-13-2005, 07:50 AM
tim_n

Obviously your expertise in this topic is advanced!
What are your qualifications?
Old 08-13-2005, 08:50 AM
tim_n

[sm=idea.gif]
ORIGINAL: av8tor1977

I remember porting my first 50cc motorcycle when I was 14.... ran worse, but I learned!

AV8TOR
Tell me this why do dragsters and drifters do a port and polish on their heads and gain 10hp out of it.[sm=confused.gif]
Quote from [link]http://www.importmodifications.com[/link]
“Combustions chambers will give you much better airflow and increase horsepower on almost any motor”

They also have electric Superchargers. “4 ppl who like new inventions”

Why do rotaries monster port, peripheral port, J-Port and Bridgeport their motors.[sm=confused.gif]
[link]http://www.monito.com/wankel/porting.html[/link]

Porting isn’t just for looks and sound. If you do it right and on the right angles you shall gain some serious power[sm=spinnyeyes.gif].

Study the facts and listen to what people say.
Old 08-13-2005, 10:20 AM
av8tor1977
My Feedback: (6)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Any time you do a hop up on an engine, the modifications have to be complimentary to each other, and you have to have a goal in mind. There is no "free lunch". If you gain power at the upper end of the rpm scale, you will lose torque at the bottom end. If this works for your intended application, you're in luck!

Porting a two stroke is a lot like putting a bigger cam in a four stroke. If you don't also increase the carb size, the exhaust flow, and usually the compression, you will not realize the benefits of the porting, and the engine could actually run worse. Further, the angles of the transfer ports are fairly critical, and if you mess those up, the scavenging will not work properly. It's a science, and a very interesting one at that. Two strokes are also low on torque compared to a four stroke, and become worse with increased port timing. You can get yourself into a position with the port timing whereby the load your are pulling is too much to allow the engine to get up into it's power band and really make some power. This can be evident when you port an engine to run great at lets say 9000 rpms, and then put a prop on it that it can't turn past 6000. Then you put a smaller prop on it and it suddenly gains a bunch of power. It just couldn't "get over the hump" and get up into it's power band. This is also very evident with tuned pipes, which is another important science for two stroke engines!

Any kind of supercharging has one potential drawback; the pressurized charge can be blown right through the engine and out the exhaust. This is fairly easily dealt with on a four stroke engine by decreasing the valve overlap period with a custom ground cam designed for supercharging, (or in this case turbocharging). This is not so easily dealt with on two stroke engines, as the blow down period, which is comparable to the valve overlap period on a four stroke and is when both the exhaust ports and transfer ports are open at the same time, cannot be so easily changed.

For any of your experiments to have value, you will have to find a way to measure your horsepower. This is fairly easy with a propeller, as it allows you to measure the power simply by measuring the rpms the engine is capable of turning a given prop. Then there is the science of how barometric pressure, base altitude, and temperature affect those readings....

Good luck,
AV8TOR
Old 08-13-2005, 11:21 AM
Crusty

Well Tim, ill give you one thing you are persistant.
OK ill bite... the 5mm you took of the exhaust, where did you take take the material from?, the edges or the top, or the bottom.
...im listening and want to learn from you
Old 08-13-2005, 12:09 PM
Ralphbf
My Feedback: (27)

"Tell me this why do dragsters and drifters do a port and polish on their heads and gain 10hp out of it."

They have 6 or 8 cylinders. and each cylinder is much bigger than the engines we are dealing with.

With this size engine, gaining 1/2 hoursepower and still haveing a good running engine is an quite an accomplishment.
Old 08-13-2005, 12:16 PM
Rupurt

AV8TOR: To stop the charge going out the exhaust port on a 2stroke you can increase the pressure on the exhaust by restricting it, The turbine on the turbo is good for that. Obviously to and pressure will cause another set of problems.

Tim you may find when you start to develope manifold pressure the carb won't work properly. It may not be able to pump the fuel at the elavated pressure, if so you will have to put the carb on the other side of the compressor, in which case the compressor will need to be fuel proof.

Crusty I don't believe the turbo in the picture had any real affect on the power, but the guy built the thing and put effort into making it. If he has shown this much interest so far I feel that offering my advise is not a waste of time, come on lets help the guy out I was his age 3 years ago I know how he feels everyone thinks you're just a kid and you don't know anything.
Old 08-14-2005, 01:20 AM
tim_n

would do but
gif/txt/jpg are supported
not vids i think[sm=confused.gif]

if U know how tell me and i will put some on?
Old 08-14-2005, 02:06 AM
Crusty

encore..................Well Tim, ill give you one thing you are persistant.
OK ill bite... the 5mm you took of the exhaust, where did you take take the material from?, the edges or the top, or the bottom.
...im listening and want to learn from you
Old 08-14-2005, 03:17 AM
Rupurt

Tim I might be able to help you with the vid how big will it be.
Old 08-14-2005, 07:19 AM
OLD_SLOW and in the WAY

or you can go the no moving parts route with a hemmholz resonator..... i gained 1500 rpm and a 15% boost just by utilizing the spit back from the intake port...

Name:	Mk27007.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	309833   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ie98128.jpg
Views:	92
Size:	40.2 KB
ID:	309834   Click image for larger version

Name:	Xc80565.jpg
Views:	97
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	309835  
Old 08-14-2005, 01:02 PM
Crusty

Fastrat, whats the second picture?

edit...i
edit2...blimey I'm getting slow...I see it now 2 bolts on bottom and the intake snout...doh
Old 08-14-2005, 02:09 PM
blueberry

Fastrat,

That is a pretty impressive gain. What engine was it on, and how does it work?

Pete
Old 08-14-2005, 08:50 PM
OLD_SLOW and in the WAY

this set up works with most 23 to 29cc engines. the inlet is 3/8" diameter and is 1" long it works the same as a stinger on a tuned pipe , the flask works like a big rubber diafram the spitback cant get out the inlet quick enuff and creates a positive pressure in the flask so when the piston port opens it gets a boost

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.